Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:18 PM

639 posts, read 1,143,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
tigerlilly wrote;

OMG, YES! Please Haley run so the rest of the country can see how a racist southerner does things. Maybe we'll find that the "old magic" that worked so well for Nixon and Reagan will finally lose its appeal.

Haley Barbour; Friends of the "Conservative Citizens Council". Look em up!

Powerful lobbyist, founder of one of the most powerful lobbying firms in DC

Corrupt governor who "waived" HUD rules that 70% of the Katrina funds, $23 BILLION must go to low and moderate income areas. Instead 75% of it went (through his nephew's firms) mostly to the wealthiest areas.

State with the THIRD LOWEST cigarette tax and the HIGHEST GROCERY TAX. Grocery taxes are the most REGRESSIVE taxes there are.

Defunded the state's anti-smoking campaign. Which had been touted as being the most effective in the US. His lobbying firm's biggest client; BIG TOBACCO.

Controlling interest in the marketing arm and the actual firm wherein people actually WENT TO JAIL for violating campaign laws. The firm tied up phone lines by overwhelming them with incoming calls, at DEMOCRATIC call centers. Somehow he wasn't so much as mentioned!

During his '82 Senate run he warned an aide, in front of reporters, that if he didn't straighten up he would "be reincarnated as a watermelon and placed at the mercy of blacks".

Even Republican icon Fred Thompson's committe found that the RNC under Barbour was ILLEGALLY raising money from overseas.

Involved in the Tom Delay money laundering indictment. His firm represented the company that wrote the $100,000 check that led to the charges.

Running for governor in '04 swore he'd veto any tax increase. That only lasted until the bill raising hospital bed taxes landed on his desk.

But I'm certain that Pawlenty, Romney and Huckabee are all too polite to mention any of these historical tidbits. He'd be DONE before the caucusing starts in Iowa!

Another bright, shining example of the "new south".
You are always so elitist in all of your posts.....you are so much "smarter" than the rest of us cavemen and cavewomen. Your own candidate "Barack Hussein Obama" has never run ANYTHING his whole life. He is a devout Marxist who spent a PART of ONE term in the U.S. Senate. He is a Chicago tactics "Community Organizer"!!! He is beholden to the lawyers and refuses to enact any laws that would hurt them in the least. He is laughed at around the world....he has alienated ALL of our friends and strengthened and given hope to our enemies who realize what a buffoon he is. He has put his hand out and bowed to terrorists while condemning Israel. He has helped to enact, pass, and sign some of the most expensive legislation in the history of this country......."Change and Hope" that will cost our children and grandchildren BILLIONS of dollars. His goal, make us just like Europe (Boy, that is what we should strive for!!!) I read an article the other day and although I don't have the numbers 100% correct I believe they were something like this...the United States has 12 TRILLION dollars in debt and China has about 600 Billion......the United States has about 60 Billion in Gold Reserves and China has 1.2 Trillion in Gold Reserves...if that doesn't scare you and show we are heading down the wrong path then nothing will......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 06:19 PM

37,960 posts, read 17,902,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you know who this person is?

Worked in International finance for a bank and opened an operation for the bank in Venezuela.
Worked for a mobile phone company.
Sold fire equipment for the Alaskan pipeline.
Bought a shoe company that sold shoes in Panama.
Sold water pumps in Nigeria.
Was State Secretary of Commerce.
Sold real estate and then became a partner.
Started a non-profit think tank on public policy.
Has a degree in Latin American Affairs.
Is a proponent of school vouchers.
Is an active rock climber.
Is sceptical about man-made global warming.
Signed legislation to protect land in his state and set aside more than one million acres of land for conservation.
Married a Mexican woman.
Was a campaign manager for a non-Mexican hispanic woman who ran successfully for Congress.
Is Catholic and a member of the Knights of Columbus.
Long-time supporter of Israel.
No national sales tax or VAT.
Reward merit.
Supports constitutional balanced budget amendment.
Completed two full terms as governor and picked up additional counties in his second term.
Never commuted any prisoner's sentence in his 8 years as governor.
Adopted Three-Strike Violent Felony Offender Act
Left office with a 60% approval rating.
First Governor to receive Urban Innovator Award for Education Reform
Initiated innovative state Medicaid reforms.
Cumulative reduction in taxes of $19 billion.
Had black support for his focus on public education and parental choice.
Co-founded the first charter school in his state along with a black activist.
Ended affirmative action at state colleges but employed highly qualified women, blacks and other minorities in top-level government positions more than any previous governor in his state.
Approved 3 new medical schools as governor.

After the Democrat takeover of Congress in 2006, told a conservative summit this:

"We lost, and there are significant reasons that happened, but it isn't because conservatives were rejected. It's because we rejected the conservative philosophy in this country...don't abandon conservative principles…we don't need to be the end all and be all for every special interest group, for every constituent that you like, for every person that's given a fundraising check to your campaign, for everything that is just wrong about public policy and politics”.

Currently runs two foundations and a consulting firm and sits on a healthcare board.
Think tank mission is global leadership by American companies.
Currently in the news as still pulling legislative strings in his state.

Did he also say no Nation Building?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:24 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,384,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The difference in Conservative and Progressive...

A Conservative works hard for their profits and lifestyle.

A Progressive will scam someone out of their money, for their profits and lifestyle. Look at the corruption that we just witnessed. Need more proof?
AHEM!!! Your "difference" is completely delusional!!! There are PLENTY of Conservative scammers out there. Scammers are party blind! They exist in every political walk of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman123456 View Post
can I have some of what your smoking? how close minded can someone be?
No! Please no! You don't want what they are smoking! It's totally mind degrading, delusional C@AP!!!!!

Old 04-17-2010, 06:27 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,384,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
See, your trying to scam me out of my stash. I worked hard to grow the tasty bud.

You won't even work hard for it.
I somehow doubt your stash is even worth a scam.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:03 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,898,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
You are always so elitist in all of your posts.....you are so much "smarter" than the rest of us cavemen and cavewomen. Your own candidate "Barack Hussein Obama" has never run ANYTHING his whole life. He is a devout Marxist who spent a PART of ONE term in the U.S. Senate. He is a Chicago tactics "Community Organizer"!!! He is beholden to the lawyers and refuses to enact any laws that would hurt them in the least. He is laughed at around the world....he has alienated ALL of our friends and strengthened and given hope to our enemies who realize what a buffoon he is. He has put his hand out and bowed to terrorists while condemning Israel. He has helped to enact, pass, and sign some of the most expensive legislation in the history of this country......."Change and Hope" that will cost our children and grandchildren BILLIONS of dollars. His goal, make us just like Europe (Boy, that is what we should strive for!!!) I read an article the other day and although I don't have the numbers 100% correct I believe they were something like this...the United States has 12 TRILLION dollars in debt and China has about 600 Billion......the United States has about 60 Billion in Gold Reserves and China has 1.2 Trillion in Gold Reserves...if that doesn't scare you and show we are heading down the wrong path then nothing will......

Soon everyone will know who obama is because he is so egotisicle he will tell them when the time is right . The rest of us already know who he is and the rest of them who stand with him .

Nothing anyone can do about it either , we waited too late to wake up and now our votes don't mean a thing .

Old 04-18-2010, 08:54 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman123456 View Post
can I have some of what your smoking? how close minded can someone be?

Let me get this straight.

You think I'm closed minded, because I'm smoking something. Yet you want, what you think I'm smoking?

Hmmm?

Who is closed minded again?

Too funny

Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,263,364 times
Quote:

Worked in International finance for a bank and opened an operation for the bank in Venezuela.
Worked for a mobile phone company.
Sold fire equipment for the Alaskan pipeline.
Bought a shoe company that sold shoes in Panama.
Sold water pumps in Nigeria.
Was State Secretary of Commerce.
Sold real estate and then became a partner.
Started a non-profit think tank on public policy.
Has a degree in Latin American Affairs.
Is a proponent of school vouchers.
Is an active rock climber.
Is sceptical about man-made global warming.
Signed legislation to protect land in his state and set aside more than one million acres of land for conservation.
Married a Mexican woman.
Was a campaign manager for a non-Mexican hispanic woman who ran successfully for Congress.
Is Catholic and a member of the Knights of Columbus.
Long-time supporter of Israel.
No national sales tax or VAT.
Reward merit.
Supports constitutional balanced budget amendment.
Completed two full terms as governor and picked up additional counties in his second term.
Never commuted any prisoner's sentence in his 8 years as governor.
Adopted Three-Strike Violent Felony Offender Act
Left office with a 60% approval rating.
First Governor to receive Urban Innovator Award for Education Reform
Initiated innovative state Medicaid reforms.
Cumulative reduction in taxes of $19 billion.
Had black support for his focus on public education and parental choice.
Co-founded the first charter school in his state along with a black activist.
Ended affirmative action at state colleges but employed highly qualified women, blacks and other minorities in top-level government positions more than any previous governor in his state.
Approved 3 new medical schools as governor.

After the Democrat takeover of Congress in 2006, told a conservative summit this:

"We lost, and there are significant reasons that happened, but it isn't because conservatives were rejected. It's because we rejected the conservative philosophy in this country...don't abandon conservative principles…we don't need to be the end all and be all for every special interest group, for every constituent that you like, for every person that's given a fundraising check to your campaign, for everything that is just wrong about public policy and politics”.

Currently runs two foundations and a consulting firm and sits on a healthcare board.
Think tank mission is global leadership by American companies.
Currently in the news as still pulling legislative strings in his state.

I'm going to guess Jeb Bush because of the Catholic religion and the Spanish wife tie. However, I wonder if the country is ready for another bush. Georgie might have ruined that for Jeb.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I'm going to guess Jeb Bush because of the Catholic religion and the Spanish wife tie. However, I wonder if the country is ready for another bush. Georgie might have ruined that for Jeb.
We thought Jeb as well, but I don't think he is Roman Catholic, I could be wrong. As the country being ready for another Bush, this is my concern as well though he is very popular and probably the true conservative in the family. NO libs, GW was not a true conservative!!!

Nita

Old 04-18-2010, 11:03 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,909,701 times
Quote:
I don't think so. With the sentiment against Obamacare, Romney will have tough sledding being the face of Massachusetts healthcare. The candidate will have to run against Obamacare and Romney won't be able to use it. I don't think he'll make it out of the primary and two guys from Massachusetts? No way. I still think the 2012 candidate has yet to emerge and that's a good thing. Let the Democrats spend their energy and their dough trying to defeat a non-candidate. Sarah Palin will do that for us, I think. The Dems will grind their gears on her (time and money) and she will just be the diversion.

I can tell you the GOP was so sure Hillary was going to be the candidate in 2008 that they put all of their eggs (time, money) in the Hillary basket while Obama came from nowhere and slipped through the crack (er, no pun intended). They were just unprepared for his candidacy.
Being since there isn't anyone really worth voting for on either side right now, I hope you're right ..

Old 04-18-2010, 11:07 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,909,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We thought Jeb as well, but I don't think he is Roman Catholic, I could be wrong. As the country being ready for another Bush, this is my concern as well though he is very popular and probably the true conservative in the family. NO libs, GW was not a true conservative!!!

Nita
I'd like to see a cross between Reagan and FDR, with a bit of Eisenhower thrown in for good measure.

Someone who isn't afraid to care, be funny, and tells it the way it is ... someone with a spine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections