Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:48 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,430,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes, and almost 1/2 were in 2008 and 7 out of 10 were democrats replacing democrats in democratic districts. If I am not mistaken, a Republican who was strongly behind the Tea Party just cleaned house in Ky or am I just imagining that?
Actually in the grand scheme of things he did pretty poorly. He destroyed the republican primary, but received less votes then either major democratic primary candidate.

Jack Conway 228,532
Dan Mongiardo 224,989
Rand Paul 206,812

KY - Election Results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 AM

17,415 posts, read 12,044,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Six were after Obama became president. The races in italics were elections that according to the media were supposed to be referendums on his leadership..

Reality Check: Democrats Continue House Special-Election Streak « The Harvard Political Review
Oopsie - have to hit the reset button for January 19, 2010 where Scott Brown (R) beat Martha Coakley.

Most of those victories were before the Dems started going "tax and spend" on the Hill, and the American people starting waking up to the scumbags that are ruling the US.

So make that one straight.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:01 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times
Quote:
Sure Nita..that incumbent stuff worked real well for Bush #1 in '92 didn't it?

Republicans back in '94, much like today, were crowing that Clinton was going to be a one term president. Polls actually backed them up..

So what happened between '94 and '96? A GOP Congress is what happened. Remember when they tried to shut down the government in '95 because of a budget disagreement with the president?

The American public sided with Bill Clinton...much the same will happen if the Republicans take control of Congress this time. You can then resign yourself to a two term President Obama.

Americans take their anger out on the party that they see in power...and they don't care which side it is...I shouldn't have to remind you of that.
I am not so niave as some to even predict what will happen in 2012. Only someone that can't see in front of their face would do that, as I have said over and over, 2 plus years is a long time. Yes, we can give examples of incumants that were outsted but it is rare, Bush was one, Carter another and Johnson had brains enough not to put himself through it. As for Bush in 92, are you forgetting the name Perot? If he hadn't decided to be a spoiler, the entire thing would not have turned out the way it did. By the way, the congress trying to shut down the government, guess what? That happens often. It happened during the first Reagan administration as well. My husband was very much involved (no he wasn't part of wanting to shut it down and no, he wasn't an elected official) He would have been affected by it though.

NIta

Old 05-19-2010, 04:03 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Actually in the grand scheme of things he did pretty poorly. He destroyed the republican primary, but received less votes then either major democratic primary candidate.

Jack Conway 228,532
Dan Mongiardo 224,989
Rand Paul 206,812

KY - Election Results
and we will all be watching in Novemeber.

Nita

Old 05-19-2010, 04:06 PM

22,265 posts, read 19,585,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not so niave as some to even predict what will happen in 2012. Only someone that can't see in front of their face would do that, as I have said over and over, 2 plus years is a long time. Yes, we can give examples of incumants that were outsted but it is rare, Bush was one, Carter another and Johnson had brains enough not to put himself through it. As for Bush in 92, are you forgetting the name Perot? If he hadn't decided to be a spoiler, the entire thing would not have turned out the way it did. By the way, the congress trying to shut down the government, guess what? That happens often. It happened during the first Reagan administration as well. My husband was very much involved (no he wasn't part of wanting to shut it down and no, he wasn't an elected official) He would have been affected by it though.

NIta
Virtually every analysis on the 92 race, was that Perot had a minimal effect. He took slightly more votes from Bush than Clinton, but not nearly enough to have any type of impact other than perhaps one or two states.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:27 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,081,368 times
Quote:
LA-6: Don Cazayoux (D) replaces Richard Baker (R), May 2008 (though Cazayoux lost the general election in November)
MS-1: Travis Childers (D) replaces Roger Wicker (R), May 2008
MD-4: Donna Edwards (D) replaces Albert Wynn (D), June 2008
OH-11: Marcia Fudge (D) replaces Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D), November 2008
NY-20: Scott Murphy (D) replaces Kirsten Gillibrand (D), March 2009
IL-5: Mike Quigley (D) replaces Rahm Emanuel (D), April 2009
CA-32: Judy Chu (D) replaces Hilda Solis (D), July 2009
CA-10: John Garamendi (D) replaces Ellen Tauscher (D), November 2009
NY-23: Bill Owens (D) replaces John McHugh (R), November 2009
PA-12: Mark Critz (D) replaces John Murtha (D), May 2010
LA-6 - Republican won the seat in Nov. Moot point.

MD,OH,NY,IL,CA-32,CA-10 All heavy dem districts

NY-23 - Split vote on Rs

PA-12 - democrat/union district. 62% of voters are registered democrats. 34% republicans, 4% Indies. This is not the kind of district that the republicans have a good shot at turning in Nov. Bush didn't win this district in 2000 or 2004.

Surely you guy don't think the Rs are expected to win in heavy dem/left-wing districts do you?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:32 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,143,198 times
Quote:
Six were after Obama became president. The races in italics were elections that according to the media were supposed to be referendums on his leadership..

Reality Check: Democrats Continue House Special-Election Streak « The Harvard Political Review
Critz is pro-life, pro 2nd amendment, pro coal, pro drilling for oil, vocally adamant in his opposition to Obamacare, the bailout and cap and trade. He's pretty much a Tea Party Democrat; I'm pretty sure conservatives are okay with that. lol

Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,230,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Critz is pro-life, pro 2nd amendment, pro coal, pro drilling for oil, vocally adamant in his opposition to Obamacare, the bailout and cap and trade. He's pretty much a Tea Party Democrat; I'm pretty sure conservatives are okay with that. lol
Pro "clean coal", as is Obama. Pro drilling in Pennsylvania. I didn't see anything on his website that said he was opposed to Obamacare.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:43 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,081,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Pro "clean coal", as is Obama. Pro drilling in Pennsylvania. I didn't see anything on his website that said he was opposed to Obamacare.
You weren't paying attention to the campaign then. He said he would have voted against obamacare and C&T.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,230,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You weren't paying attention to the campaign then. He said he would have voted against obamacare and C&T.
Strange you're following campaigns in Pennsylvania. Just sayin'.

One Win Is Altering Parties' Calculus - WSJ.com

Mr. Critz called himself "pro-life" and "pro-gun,'' and said he wouldn't have voted for the health-care overhaul—though he declined to call for its repeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections