Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:23 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,024,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
If you don't notice, private businesses already do discriminate in 'government protected' categories in employment decisions, ask any heterosexual woman who has sought employment at a gay bar (as I accidentally have). Am I going to wage a frivolous lawsuit about failing to employed over my sex/orientation? I work at Hooters, we don't hire male servers. We've seen how far the EEOC got in trying to reverse that.
Yes that's legal as we already know and besides the point. We are talking about hiring practices NOT allowed by law. Now getting back to the question at hand.

Do you think it is OK for the Government to compel a private business not to discriminate in hiring based on race?

It's a simple question even for a Hooters girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 12:27 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,322,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

Do you think it is OK for the Government to compel a private business not to discriminate hiring based on race?

It's a simple question even for a Hooters girl.
Sure, I work for a private business that discriminates in a government protected category and I support their right to do so. Race is no magical hot button, it's simply another category.

It's fear mongerers who like to stir up people's emotions by projecting that if certain legislation disappeared, black people would be run out of jobs and businesses. It's not government that is responsible for social taboo, it is society. Did Don Imus get run out of his position because using the phrase "nappy headed ho's" is illegal on air? No, it's because people boycotted his show and his network, and private companies pulled their sponsorship. And his statements didn't even impact anyone economically, imagine if it was a major business doing the discrimination.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think that's more about the landlord not being able to discriminate on those criteria. I don't think it applies to roommate wanted ads, though I could be wrong. The ads I saw were posted on bulletin boards, etc.
That applies to people seeking a share or a roommate (as it is posted above), not just a 'landlord'.

Do you really think that's the government's domain?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Sure, I work for a private business that discriminates in a government protected category and I support their right to do so. Race is no magical hot button.

It's fear mongerers who like to stir up people's emotions by projecting that if certain legislation disappeared, black people would be run out of jobs and businesses. It's not government that is responsible for social taboo, it is society. Did Don Imus get run out of his position because using the phrase "nappy headed ho's" is illegal on air? No, it's because people boycotted his show and his network, and private companies pulled their sponsorship.
Uh well I'll take that as a yes. You are against all anti-discrimination laws applying to private business's. Even though you can't bring yourself to say it out right.

In the industry and craft I work, I doubt I'd have one single black co-worker if it were left to the likes of you and Rand Paul. You haven't got a clue what the real World is like.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:48 PM

By the way, I support affirmative action in the sense I support the right of private business to use whatever they wish to utilize in their hiring practices. What I don't support is government mandates, taxpayers paying for AA programs, and strong-arming of private entities.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Even though you can't bring yourself to say it out right.
Yep, I support any private entity's right to discriminate based on race or any other protected category, see my above post.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
By the way, I support affirmative action in the sense I support the right of private business to use whatever they wish to utilize in their hiring practices. What I don't support is government mandates, taxpayers paying for AA programs, and strong-arming of private entities.
Anti-Discrimination laws apply to private business's are "strong-arming"!

You even have the hard core Libertarian rhetoric down pat....LOL

Every advanced Western Government in the World prohibits discrimination based on race. Every single one.

Where is this Libertarian example of a country thriving because they allow private business to do anything they damn want?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Non sequitur, good way to avoid arguing against the merits of my logic. There are tons of flaws in 'advanced Western government', you cultural chauvinist.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:26 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,216,820 times
Quote:
That applies to people seeking a share or a roommate (as it is posted above), not just a 'landlord'.

Do you really think that's the government's domain?
Show me some documentation that you cannot advertise for a female (male), gay (straight) roommate.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:33 PM

516 posts, read 1,380,568 times
I was at the Washington DC event on 9/12 and there were people both sexes, races, religions (because they had signs), and I'm positive sexualities (although I didn't see any openly gay couples).

And I have to add it was the NICEST group of people I've ever met in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections