Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:01 PM

217 posts, read 126,032 times

Advertisements

Well seeing how the White race is about 9% of the total world population I would say we are the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 02:22 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,510,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I support Rand Paul, and I'm a black female. I don't find anything 'racist' in his message and I feel anyone saying anything to the contrary is a race baiter...there will always be ignorant, reactionary people, that doesn't mean that the basic principles of limited government should feel 'alien' to a voter on account of skin color.
So your support a businesses right to deny you gas, food, bathroom or service of any kind specifically because of your race? Wow, just wow.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
That applies to people seeking a share or a roommate (as it is posted above), not just a 'landlord'.

Do you really think that's the government's domain?
I just looked in the "Roommates Wanted" section of my local classified ads, and guess what the first one was? "1 female roommate needed. . . . "

Old 05-22-2010, 04:52 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,309,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Show me some documentation that you cannot advertise for a female (male), gay (straight) roommate.
Read the Fair Housing Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I just looked in the "Roommates Wanted" section of my local classified ads, and guess what the first one was? "1 female roommate needed. . . . "
You can legally report them.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:55 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,309,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
So your support a businesses right to deny you gas, food, bathroom or service of any kind specifically because of your race? Wow, just wow.
If I come into a restaurant smelling bad, they could deny me service, even though they don't know if I have a medical condition that causes me to overperspirate or I just felt was within my right not to shower for two days. If I'm not a patron, a business can deny me use of their bathroom, because it's patron only. My job will only employ people of my sex to do my job, and I support them. I don't see the conflict. Why when you use the word 'race' does discrimination suddenly become inflammatory and intolerable when it's only a part of our every day existence?

Old 05-22-2010, 05:07 PM

475 posts, read 901,498 times
Quote:
If I come into a restaurant smelling bad, they could deny me service, even though they don't know if I have a medical condition that causes me to overperspirate or I just felt was within my right not to shower for two days. If I'm not a patron, a business can deny me use of their bathroom, because it's patron only. My job will only employ people of my sex to do my job, and I support them. I don't see the conflict. Why when you use the word 'race' does discrimination suddenly become inflammatory and intolerable when it's only a part of our every day existence?
Because the Left and it's media puppets are succeeding in dividing us as a nation based on race. They don't just fan the flames they ignite the fire.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:16 PM

317 posts, read 405,277 times
Quote:
I support Rand Paul, and I'm a black female. I don't find anything 'racist' in his message and I feel anyone saying anything to the contrary is a race baiter...there will always be ignorant, reactionary people, that doesn't mean that the basic principles of limited government should feel 'alien' to a voter on account of skin color.
The post wasn't exclusively about Rand Paul. Do you find anything racist about someone waving a poster of Obama with a bone in his nose and a spear in his hand? How about telling Obama to go back to Africa? How about saying Obama is going to enslave Whites? How about comparing Obama to a monkey? Find any of those racist?

Old 05-22-2010, 05:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Read the Fair Housing Act.

You can legally report them.
Show me where in here it talks about advertising for roommates.

Fair Housing -- It's Your Right - HUD

ETA: Just found this:

http://www.rumates.com/fairhousing.html

Exceptions:

Under The Federal Fair Housing law, the prohibition on discriminatory advertisements applies to all situations except the following:

Shared Housing Exemption -- If you are advertising a shared housing unit, in which tenants will be sharing a bathroom, kitchen, or other common area, you may express a preference based upon sex only.
Private Club and Religious Exemptions -- A religious community or private club whose membership is not restricted based upon race, color, or national origin may restrict tenancy only to its members in a property that it owns, and may advertise to that effect.
Housing for Older Persons Exemption -- Certain complexes for elderly persons are exempt from prohibitions on familial status discrimination, including the prohibitions on discriminatory advertising.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:25 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,467,170 times
Actually, how it works is that you can privately "discriminate" (re: gender, race, whatever), as long as you're choosing a roommate. But you just can't state those discriminatory "preferences" publicly in your advertising.

Fair Housing and Roommates: Contesting a Presumption of Constitutionality (http://www.allbusiness.com/society-social/religion-spirituality-religion/13878228-1.html - broken link)

Quote:
Sure, I work for a private business that discriminates in a government protected category and I support their right to do so. Race is no magical hot button, it's simply another category.

It's fear mongerers who like to stir up people's emotions by projecting that if certain legislation disappeared, black people would be run out of jobs and businesses. It's not government that is responsible for social taboo, it is society. Did Don Imus get run out of his position because using the phrase "nappy headed ho's" is illegal on air? No, it's because people boycotted his show and his network, and private companies pulled their sponsorship. And his statements didn't even impact anyone economically, imagine if it was a major business doing the discrimination.
So if I understand you correctly, you're basically saying all "rights" are essentially just "relative" values (aka social taboos), always determined by "society" (BTW, whose?), and that the only enforcement (if any) should just be "the free market"? No gotchas, just curious how the idea of "rights" works for you.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:38 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times
Quote:
If you don't notice, private businesses already do discriminate in 'government protected' categories in employment decisions, ask any heterosexual woman who has sought employment at a gay bar (as I accidentally have). Am I going to wage a frivolous lawsuit about failing to employed over my sex/orientation? I work at Hooters, we don't hire male servers. We've seen how far the EEOC got in trying to reverse that.
You bring up a ton of very good points in your posts. People are looking to the one size fits all, inefficient Federal Government for help. They love control.

The very same government that started the segregation business and practices it with gays in the military is the one we look to on this issue????????.

People don't get it. Boycotts were successfully used in the past to bring companies to their knees when there was discrimination in the past. Now it's, I'll use their product but force them to do business my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections