Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,668,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The political shooting-star otherwise known as anti-incumbency fell on Alabama, taking down a first-term congressman who switched from Democrat to Republican just last December.

The hotly-contested health care overhaul was among the issues working against Rep. Parker Griffith, voted out by Republicans Tuesday in the 5th Congressional District in favor of Madison County Commissioner Mo Brooks. With tea party support and the backing of local GOP leaders still bitter about losing to Griffith in 2008, Brooks won Tuesday's primary with slightly more than 50 percent of the vote in a three-candidate field.

Griffith's loss was the latest manifestation of an anti-establishment, anti-Washington, anti-incumbency fervor — a 2010 political phenomenom that has shaken the Democratic establishment and the Obama White House, and has also has caused angst in GOP leadership circles.

Party-switch proves fatal for Ala. rep's career - Decision 2010- msnbc.com

The Tea Party is a force to be reckoned with. Once conservatives get their candidates in place, the Ultimate Takedown will be in November when Out of Control Liberalism will be put to a screeching halt.

How does it make liberals feel to know that their ideology is about to be replaced with a tighter, more focused brand of conservatism?
Ask Al Gore, he got the boot too.
Maybe the light shines on why Tipper kicked him out.
Tired of living with a crook out to destroy the nation.
Even a 9 million dollar mansion isn't important when you lose your soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM

857 posts, read 2,007,931 times
awesome news for democrats.
Keep it going. Keep replacing center-right republicans with your nutty, fringe, anti-intellectual flat-earthers.

See ya in november when it matters...

Old 06-02-2010, 10:13 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,229,793 times
Quote:
Tea Party-backed candidates will rout Democrats.
Except this guy was a Republican in a GOP primary.

Quote:
Parker Griffith was a casualty of the anti-incumbent, anti-liberal sentiment that is sweeping the nation. What's so hard to understand about this?
He was not a liberal.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,193,938 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness. Surely you can see past one headline, right? Surely you understand that the trend is clearly towards conservatism, right? Surely you recall the MA/VA/NJ upsets, right?
And more recently, the elections in PA, eh?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,199,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And more recently, the elections in PA, eh?
Not sure what you're referring to? But if it's Arlen Specter, he was booted for multiple reasons, one of those reasons being a party changer and the desire of liberal Pennsylvanians to have a liberal candidate versus a DINO to face a formidable conservative in Pat Toomey. Specter couldn't rally liberals because of his GOP affiliation. I don't blame PA for choosing Sestak, to be honest. But can he beat Toomey in a swing-state match-up that has no problem leaning conservative in a conservative leaning environment?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:26 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,193,938 times
Quote:
Not sure what you're referring to? But if it's Arlen Specter, he was booted for multiple reasons, one of those reasons being a party changer and the desire of liberal Pennsylvanians to have a liberal candidate versus a DINO to face a formidable conservative in Pat Toomey. Specter couldn't rally liberals because of his GOP affiliation. I don't blame PA for choosing Sestak, to be honest. But can he beat Toomey in a swing-state match-up that has no problem leaning conservative in a conservative leaning environment?
Specter and Critz (sp?) in PA 12. That was supposed to be a good possibility for the Reps, didn't happen. I am aware of the Specter-Sestak issues; the point is, all elections have these issues.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Specter and Critz (sp?) in PA 12. That was supposed to be a good possibility for the Reps, didn't happen. I am aware of the Specter-Sestak issues; the point is, all elections have these issues.
I agree. Anti-incumbancy is a danger for both parties. Conservatives at least have the polls and past elections trending in their direction. Unlike other posters' on this thread, at least you get it.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:58 AM

338 posts, read 311,568 times
Quote:
The political shooting-star otherwise known as anti-incumbency fell on Alabama, taking down a first-term congressman who switched from Democrat to Republican just last December.

The hotly-contested health care overhaul was among the issues working against Rep. Parker Griffith, voted out by Republicans Tuesday in the 5th Congressional District in favor of Madison County Commissioner Mo Brooks. With tea party support and the backing of local GOP leaders still bitter about losing to Griffith in 2008, Brooks won Tuesday's primary with slightly more than 50 percent of the vote in a three-candidate field.[...]

Think this might have contributed, too?

Seems to me that the guy's a natural politician: put yourself on the good side of the head honchos, find a grassroots-movement-ideology to cloak your ambition in, and voilà!

This way, the 'local GOP leaders' have the candidate they wanted, and the sheep in the grassroots-movement think one of their own has made it and will keep on supporting him.

But yes, of course, the tea party is a force to be reckoned with...

Old 06-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
Think this might have contributed, too?

Seems to me that the guy's a natural politician: put yourself on the good side of the head honchos, find a grassroots-movement-ideology to cloak your ambition in, and voilà!

This way, the 'local GOP leaders' have the candidate they wanted, and the sheep in the grassroots-movement think one of their own has made it and will keep on supporting him.

But yes, of course, the tea party is a force to be reckoned with...
Does naivete run deep in the Liberal Mind? Because over the last 18 months that's all that I can deduce from you folks. Ignorance truly is bliss.

I'm not worried one ounce. History is on my side. Polling is on my side. Trends are on my side. The writing is on the wall and you still believe that conservatism is dead, huh? Does it get any more farcical?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:43 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,490,361 times
Democrat Steve Raby ran as a "conservative" and beat out three more 'progressive' candidates in the primary (without a runoff).

Dem turned GOP Congressman Parker Griffith had a lot of baggage. Madison County Commissioner Mo Brooks (R) is well-respected and received many crossover Dem votes (again no runoff).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections