Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:33 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,487,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Suckerrrr

Ha Ha,

You're a good sport delusianne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:36 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,198,320 times
you too -- happy weekend

Old 06-12-2010, 10:03 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,844,002 times
Not only have I had enough CHANGE....I've had too MUCH change...already!

Old 06-12-2010, 10:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,068,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
"Barack's Whack Jobs At The Federal Trade Commission .... Vote Barack Out Or Lose Your Freedom."

At issue is the Federal Trade Commission's report "Potential Policy Recommendations to Support the Reinvention of Journalism"

FTC Reinventing Journalism: Today’s Watchdogs May Be Tomorrow’s Lap Dogs | NewsReal Blog

Can you see any problem with the government controlling the press? Literally?

Our First Amendment freedom of the press will be out the window with the first funding check. Will the press report favorably for the hand that feeds them? What do you think?

Barack Obama and his administration are truly intent on destroying this country. This time it's 1st amendment. Free speech? Free Press?

Not if the Progressives get their way.

There is a massive network behind the "media justice" movement, part of the bigger picture of progressive fundamental change.

I don’t think there is any doubt what kind of "journalism" we can expect from implementing the ideas they have outlined. Even without an official government takeover of the industry, the news outlets will be keenly aware of the source of their funding. Our First Amendment freedom of the press will be out the window with the first funding check.

Journalism 'Reinvention' Smacks of Government Control

A list of potential policy recommendations to reinvent the field of journalism that has been compiled by the Federal Trade Commission is a "dangerous" overreach of power and a waste of taxpayer funds, say critics of the project.

FTC officials began a project in May 2009 to consider the challenges the journalism industry faces in the digital age. The federal agency recently released a discussion draft titled "Potential Policy Recommendations to Support the Reinvention of Journalism," a 47 page document that outlines a major government push to rescue the country's flailing media platforms -- specifically newspapers, which have seen advertising revenues drop roughly 45 percent since 2000.

Among the numerous proposals mentioned in the document are:

-- the creation of a "journalism" division of AmeriCorps, the federal program that places 75,000 people with local and national nonprofit groups annually;
-- tax credits to news organizations for every journalist employed;
-- establishing citizenship news vouchers, which "would allow every American tax payer to allocate some amount of government funds to the non-profit media organization" of their choice;
-- increased funding for public radio and television;
-- providing grants to universities to conduct investigative journalism;
-- increased postal subsidies for newspapers and periodicals;
-- a 5 percent tax on consumer electronics, which would generate roughly $4 billion annually, to pay for increased public funding.

But some critics are voicing concerns about the draft document, saying that if the government has any influence over the Fourth Estate, it could lead to a dizzying web of conflicting interests and the eradication of independent journalism.

"I find it dangerous for government to have a role in speech because the government gives and the government taketh away," Jeff Jarvis, an associate professor at the City University of New York's Graduate School of Journalism said.
"Most of the ideas examined in this are politically untenable," Jarvis said. "The problem with this is that the FTC is trying to set an agenda here, that some sort of government intervention is necessary. It's a power grab by the FTC and it's also an example of one old power structure circling its wagons around another."

Also from the LA Times:
Obama's FTC plan to reinvent America's news media | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

For any Progressive who responds --- you can't keep shouting "Fear Monger" or claim that this crap isn't going on with this left wing President.

Obama has got to go.
This is why elections, not in your state, count. Congress doesn't have to fund these totalitarian type programs.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is why elections, not in your state, count. Congress doesn't have to fund these totalitarian type programs.
LauraC! Please go back and read the thread! IT'S NOT A PROGRAM!!!!

Thanks for adding to the misinformation pool Yooperkat That thing is just about impossible to muck out.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:44 PM

236 posts, read 553,146 times
Honey, I was not misled. I read the article. But I also take the time to review the facts. Just like I looked into President Obama's background. Used? What are you talking about? I did not vote for President Obama. You kool aid drinkers did. Sure the last administration was plagued with problems. They too had questionable backgrounds and failed policies. So why vote for the same. I did not post the correction. Now I see why we have our current President. Too many stepford wives and stepford husbands. When the news media post anything online or anywhere else you cannot believe everything you hear or read. Because alot of the information maybe false, inflated, or misquoted. So I watch the news, read political boards, forums, information can come from many sources. Only an inquiring mind will dig for the truth then analyze the facts. Another good source is to have a friend in the news industry who is a very reliable source. Just like the media did not want to reveal the truth about President Obama's past. I thank the poster for offering the information whether truth or false. This will cause many to want to find out the truth. It also gives us an opportunity to voice our opinion in black and white. Thus exposing a falsity or stating the information to be factual. Enough said....

Delusianne, Have a wonderful weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"the correction was made"? Is that an example of your research skills? The misinformation being corrected is yours and the OPs. Not really sure what you mean by "I... always do my research," if the rest of your post is your proof. Where is it you research?

OP, you were suckered by your own RW media. That article deliberately misled you. Isnt that kind of insulting? Do you like being used that way? What else might it be in their best interests to mislead you about? (Did Obama ever come confiscate your guns, by the way?)

Old 06-12-2010, 02:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 17,275,145 times
Default Frightening enough

“[T]hrough this document, we seek to prompt discussion of whether to recommend policy changes to support the ongoing reinvention of journalism, and, if so, which specific proposals appear most useful, feasible, platform-neutral, resistant to bias, and unlikely to cause unintended consequences in addressing emerging gaps in news coverage.”

The FTC, a government organization is going to consider policy changes, to support the ongoing reinvention of journalism!!!!!!!!

And to top it off these learned government bureaucrats in their infinite wisdom they will have the foresight to ensure policies that are,"... resistant to bias, and unlikely to cause unintended consequences in addressing emerging gaps in news coverage.”!!!!!!!

Can you imagine that the Feds would even ponder such a thought. Can you imagine the Feds having the insight and foresight to address unintended consequences of such a soft concept when an even larger legislative body was unable to foresee the implications of the healthcare bill. As NP said, 'we have to pass it to see what's in it'.
The senator from TX who laughed at the thought of reading the healthcare bill and complained he would need a squad of lawyers to understand its implications!!! ...and then voted for it!!!!

To hear of theFeds mucking with 'journalism' is unfathomable. Unless of course they speak to the homogenous perspective and sanitized reporting by the former mainstream media. Doubt that will be an issue to consider but certainly not one to legislate.

Taken together with the threat from team Obama during the presidential election to prosecute anyone who told lies about Obama and then during the healthcare campaign to report people and conversations that undermined Obamacare to the government, What was that email address? you must see a pattern.

PO needs a prompter to speak at a kindergarten class!
The admission and clarification by administration officials as to the methods used to control the message and the media. How many open news conferences has PO had? two?

etc, etc

Old 06-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJoyce View Post
Honey, I was not misled. I read the article. But I also take the time to review the facts. Just like I looked into President Obama's background. Used? What are you talking about? I did not vote for President Obama. You kool aid drinkers did. Sure the last administration was plagued with problems. They too had questionable backgrounds and failed policies. So why vote for the same. I did not post the correction. Now I see why we have our current President. Too many stepford wives and stepford husbands. When the news media post anything online or anywhere else you cannot believe everything you hear or read. Because alot of the information maybe false, inflated, or misquoted. So I watch the news, read political boards, forums, information can come from many sources. Only an inquiring mind will dig for the truth then analyze the facts. Another good source is to have a friend in the news industry who is a very reliable source. Just like the media did not want to reveal the truth about President Obama's past. I thank the poster for offering the information whether truth or false. This will cause many to want to find out the truth. It also gives us an opportunity to voice our opinion in black and white. Thus exposing a falsity or stating the information to be factual. Enough said....

Delusianne, Have a wonderful weekend!
"I did not post the correction" -- ? So, you never did look at the .pdf or the posts to which you -- I can't say replied, so "which you took as a jumping off point into some personal wild blue yonder."

Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,846,981 times
Would some one from the Right please tell me what fundamantal rights I have lost since President Obama was elected? I have looked but cannot find any.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:28 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,004,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Would some one from the Right please tell me what fundamantal rights I have lost since President Obama was elected? I have looked but cannot find any.
The right to die without the government telling me i need healthcare and fining me if i don't...the right to privacy with my doctor without the government saying oh that procedure costs to much... denied...the right to keep what is mine and not have the I.R.S. taking my money out of my bank acct when i refuse to pay.They will have access to all your money accounts could sell your home from right under you and they didn't even read the Bill. You all blame Bush for our woes he was not a Congressman or a part of Washington... all was in place before he took over from Clinton 1.NAFTA a Republican bill that Clinton would not sign unless it had low income housing in it...the creation of Fannie-Freddie Mae's THE HOUSING-BANKING MESS...2.De-regulated Wall St. with Alan Greenspan great move...3,Permanent trade status with China...where all our jobs have gone that paid taxes for our infrastructure now we borrow money from the Chinese.4.Clinton in his last State of the Union Address "we went from a industrial based economy to a service economy" ...that pays half of what the jobs that they exported to China ...so much for George being blamed for this service economy...all fact. sorry i went off a little couldn't help myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections