Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:53 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I just love all the squealing tires on dirt roads!

You lock your doors? A lot don't here!

But, I know what you mean...I locked them when I lived in San Francisco...

Other pet peeves--general gun ignorance.

Guns that never run out of bullets. Guys that never miss. Purposely shooting a leg of a running person in the dark from half a mile away. Shotguns that make people suddenly fly backward as if suddenly jerked by a giant invisible rope. Doors and locks magically open from one gunshot. Car doors, car seats, and sheetrock walls that stop bullets. Did you know that any vehicle automatically blows up if shot more than 3 times? That little propane tanks blow up violently if shot? They do in Hollywood.

Baaaaad accents or accents that come and go in movies. If you need someone to sound like a southerner or like they're from Brooklyn or England, there are actually actors who sound like that for real...
As a Louisiana native, New Orleans accents are especially botched in the movies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 08:09 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
My pet peeve?

People whose understanding of fiction is so hopeless that they obsess over little irrelevant details that do not matter at all to the narrative. These people fail to understand that all fiction - even that which purports to be realistic - is fantasy. So they pick out something that could not possible be any less important to the story being told and they prattle on and on about how that detail ruins everything.

"OMG! Apocalypse Now was totally ruined for me because the vegetation is not right for the Vietnam setting and the OH-58 depicted is not period for that point in the war! Quick, someone pass me the smelling salts!"

Pretentious poseurs, the lot.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:12 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,395 times
What, to me, is totally unrealistic is portraying a "nerdy guy" who "can't get the girl" but just happens to be a physician or holds some other high-paying, professional job and happens not to have any ex-wives or kids to complicate the situation. Guys in those types of life situations can pretty much "write their own relationship ticket" and are almost always "taken." I saw Trainwreck last night & was reminded of that pet peeve of mine!

Old 05-15-2016, 11:42 AM

571 posts, read 1,303,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
My pet peeve?

People whose understanding of fiction is so hopeless that they obsess over little irrelevant details that do not matter at all to the narrative. These people fail to understand that all fiction - even that which purports to be realistic - is fantasy. So they pick out something that could not possible be any less important to the story being told and they prattle on and on about how that detail ruins everything.

"OMG! Apocalypse Now was totally ruined for me because the vegetation is not right for the Vietnam setting and the OH-58 depicted is not period for that point in the war! Quick, someone pass me the smelling salts!"

Pretentious poseurs, the lot.
You can add me to that lot, then. I recently tried "Mozart in the Jungle" and couldn't get past how inaccurate the musical execution was. Is it too much to ask that the actors hold the instruments correctly, or that the conductor not wave his arms in a random swirl? I see this everywhere, but expect more from a show where music is the focus.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:12 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
the sound effects on tv and especially movies are way overdubbed.

the sound of putting a duffel bad down on the hood of a car doesn't make that much noise!!!
I really notice man to man, punching fight scenes now where a fist to the jaw will sound like a large, heavy door slamming. When in reality it probably sounds much like a slap. Or no sound.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:30 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
i love when anytime anyone is going somewhere, especially the police shows in NYC, they get a parking spot right in front, jump out and never lock the door.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:54 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Glaring errors about simple things. I watched the pilot of Strange Things yesterday and it starts off with a written bit of info on the screen. The date is given as Nov 6th and the place is somewhere in Indiana but as the kids are heading to school all the trees are bright green and people are walking around in very lightweight clothing. Not a hint of autumn shown.

As someone else mentioned the numerous factual or procedural errors in crime dramas, medical shows, legal shows etc. I worked on the Oakland docks for 28 years and whenever a scene is set on the docks people and their private vehicles are all over the place. Security and access to the docks is not quite as stringent as at the airports but it's pretty tight, more so of course post 9/11. It doesn't have to be perfectly accurate but make some effort to get it a bit closer to reality, please.

Lately I've noticed trend in dramas that is so annoying that I've taken to using the closed captioning and muting the sound most of the time because there is use of sound that is not music but more a background droning, monotone, usually in a minor key. Can't stand listening to it go on and on.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:13 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Only a teenager can save us....

Old 08-23-2016, 07:15 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,202 times
there are many websites and books written about this . here is one

100 movie clichés that just won

The 50 Most Annoying movie cliches: Part One

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_clich%C3%A9s

The Movie Cliches List

Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Goodness, where to begin? Shows where everyone is Botoxed and plastic looking, which means about 95% of tv/movies that come out these days. Not-so-hot middleaged guys in sitcoms with young, thin, pretty wives/girlfriends. (I'm not saying love can't be blind but you NEVER see the opposite scenario!)

Also hate how the default for nearly everyone in a show or movie has become upper middle class. The last movie I rented was It's Complicated featuring Meryl Streep whining about wanting her "dream kitchen" when the kitchen she had to start with was miles better than anything most of us have. I suppose shows about lower middle class/working poor don't sell as many products...pretty sad. Roseanne was one of the few network tv shows that had realistic-looking people struggling with money, until they won the lottery, then the show became unwatchable.
kramer on seinfeld had a manhattan apt and didnt even have a job!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts