Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:16 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Half the time I can't hear what people are saying when they are talking in normal or say slightly quiet 2 person conversation. What is up with that! I'm not hard of hearing. More a movie thing on TV I think though I've never really tried to track it.
I've noticed that too! I thought it was just me. The speech is muted but the music and sound effects are blaring. Especially with new movies; I have to turn the volume up when the characters are speaking but turn it down if there's explosions/shooting/etc. I can't stand going to the theater nowadays because I always leave with my ears ringing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
The cool walk away from something as it blows up. They never flinch or look back, just keep on walking.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:16 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Half the time I can't hear what people are saying when they are talking in normal or say slightly quiet 2 person conversation. What is up with that! I'm not hard of hearing. More a movie thing on TV I think though I've never really tried to track it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I've noticed that too! I thought it was just me. The speech is muted but the music and sound effects are blaring. Especially with new movies; I have to turn the volume up when the characters are speaking but turn it down if there's explosions/shooting/etc. I can't stand going to the theater nowadays because I always leave with my ears ringing.
Not just with movies. The background noise/music is overpowering the dialogue. I wonder if it's the way sounds are mixed during production or if it's something to do with new televisions.

I want some tv manufacturer to create a tv where the remote holder can adjust the dialogue and background noise/music independently. I'd buy that!

I wear ear plugs at the movies. I get teased but in 20 or 30 years, I'll still be able to hear.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:48 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Its something I've noticed for awhile. Last night was an example - watching TV's Rescue Me. Tommy and wife are having a conversation on the roof, I keep having to turn the TV up a little louder, a little louder to catch what they are saying as their conversation gets more reflective and less of a fight - you know - they start talking lower, finally I can't hear with the wife says at all, I rewind, turn it up even more and still can figure out mublty mumblty.
It happens A LOT.
It just occurred to me - maybe I should turn on the hearing impaired caption thing?

Wouldn't help in theaters where I've also noticed that when actors are turn their heads to talk to one other person, so a third doesn't hear - yea well I can't either.
Maybe its a voice frequency thing? No matter. As technically sophisticated as Hollywood is I'm sure there's a fix - they just aren't doing it. Have no idea how to let them know of frequently it happens and how annoying it is.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:11 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,938 times
I hate how so many TV or movie conversations end abruptly with the person just hanging up the phone or walking out of the room. No goodbye, talk to you later, or anything like that.

Also agree with the poster who mentioned how even people who supposedly make very little money can afford to live in big and nice places in the most expensive cities.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:11 PM

821 posts, read 861,491 times
Overly dramatic. I hate that.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 AM

298 posts, read 1,089,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yea, this has been done before, but whining about pet peeves never gets old.

I cannot stand how everyone in the movies lives in some spectacular million dollar house or fancy loft apartment no matter what they supposedly do for a living. For example, in "The Bucket List" Morgan Freeman's character is supposed to be a poor blue collar taxi mechanic, right? Yet he lives in a very large and lovely Pasadena craftsman home?

So why does it bother me? Because it creates false expectations for what is normal and what is expected out of life. Normal people DO NOT live like that.
Exactly! I was going to say, that new york apartments in the movies and tv shows never look that spacious and lavish in real life. lol

Old 07-13-2010, 10:27 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
when they show someone throwing up, and actually SHOW IT, with sound and all....makes me sick!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:36 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Also agree with the poster who mentioned how even people who supposedly make very little money can afford to live in big and nice places in the most expensive cities.
I'm always jealous of their artwork and nick-nacks. TV/movie people always have the most interesting (read: expensive) things always so artfully displayed. There are no framed postcards from IKEA here, no sir.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:45 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
When a car is airborne - it automatically blows up when all 4 tires leave the ground. It hasn't hit anything - it just blows up.

As to women who wake up in full make-up - what about those that swim and are still make-up perfect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts