Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:09 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's always bugged me that when people on TV are given gifts, the top of the box is always wrapped separately from the bottom, so they just lift it off. Does it really save that much time in the scene?
It does on Christmas morning! LOL And then you can use the box again and again, just change the tag.

My family does this; we pass the same birthday-wrapped boxes around from year to year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 02:18 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
I also hate the way the music overpowers the dialog on some television shows. Forget ever watching anything in real time..........sometimes I need to replay a scene two or three times in an attempt to decipher what is being said.

Canned laughter.............Two and a Half Men is the WORST.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:16 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
What Annie said ...(music overpowering some of the dialog), that and at other times, ... the actor or actress just says the last line/word of their dialog and it's faded out like someone intentionally turned the volume all the way down before they had a chance to finish what they were saying.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
This has probably been mentioned already, but since I spent the weekend catching up on TIVOed summer shows, a big cliche is the genius cop/FBI agent/doctor with a tragic past who doesn't play by the rules but who always gets the job done. He's usually helped out and/or in love with a plucky single mom.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:09 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,635 times
Predictable, overdone story lines. Ex. "Step it Up" - My roommate was watching this movie recently and I could pretty much guess what was going to happen in every scene of the movie. When is Hollywood going to come up w/ something original?

Old 08-14-2010, 07:43 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I also hate the way the music overpowers the dialog on some television shows. Forget ever watching anything in real time..........sometimes I need to replay a scene two or three times in an attempt to decipher what is being said.
Oh yes, that reminds me of all the countless films & tv shows that are virtually unwatchable because of the "hip" soundtrack. Now there are certainly shows that use music in a creative way but mostly you just get whiny indie rock or overplayed Motown/oldie tunes thrown in to "set the mood" and compensate for weak writing.

The music they shove down your throat nowadays is just more advertising, really. Nobody even tries to hide product placement any more. It's blatant, clumsy & inescapable. I guess in this age of DVRs and internet streaming it's tough to get people to sit through commercials so it's probably only going to get worse.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:49 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Oh yes, that reminds me of all the countless films & tv shows that are virtually unwatchable because of the "hip" soundtrack. Now there are certainly shows that use music in a creative way but mostly you just get whiny indie rock or overplayed Motown/oldie tunes thrown in to "set the mood" and compensate for weak writing.

The music they shove down your throat nowadays is just more advertising, really. Nobody even tries to hide product placement any more. It's blatant, clumsy & inescapable. I guess in this age of DVRs and internet streaming it's tough to get people to sit through commercials so it's probably only going to get worse.

Speaking of commercials.........BLASTING THEM LOUD ENOUGH to shatter my eardrums will not sway me to buy the product.......however..........it does prompt me to use the mute button .

Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
About not hearing conversations, this has become such a problem for me with tv shows that I have to readjust the settings.

I also hate sitcoms for the same reason others have posted: that forced laugh. I agree that it's more unfunny when you play those old laughs.

Don't like cars that blow up for nothing.

Don't like people with modest incomes living in expensive condos on the beach or mansions with no known reason(Did they inherit money? Win the lottery? Drug money?).

I dislike how tv shows always have people with perfect hair, designer clothes in every situation. There are no such thing as regular every day people now? Sure it's great to dress nice and attempt to look decent, but don't they know about the millions of other people that aren't wearing everything Armani or have access to a hair dresser 24/7?

I also hate something with movies about the ancient past. If the movie itself is good and pretty accurate, I can take what ever accent and language they are speaking. Yet it just bugs me when they speak in a Scottish accent or some strange accent on the American English language to make it seem more accurate. I don't know why I hate it so much because I wouldn't be able to understand ancient Egyptian, but when the movie is highly inaccurate, this makes it even worse!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
-How at the end of romantic movies; one of the characters run to catch the other before they fly away or move away to some far away place and than they catch at the nick of time to tell them how much they love them and crap with the lame top 40s music playing in the background.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:33 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
oh yeah! and they always manage to make it to the gate on time either without a ticket or they have no problem buying a ticket as the plane is boarding...never have to spend half an hour going thru security...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts