Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times

Advertisements

It's weird. These pop stars show up all the time.

-Do people remember New Kids on the Block?

-Davy Jones, lol. Didn't Marsha Brady swoon over Davy in an episode of the Brady Bunch?

-N Sync, Backstreet Boys, O Town, etc.

I think JB hit at the wrong time. People are tired of reality tv, paris hilton getting famous for no reason, kardashians, etc. He seems to be the epitome of a 2000's manufactured, pseudo celebrity.

-Plus I think the general direction music has taken. I don't remember all this hate in the 90's, when music was decent or good. People are tired of this fake, autotune music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Whoever said people are tired of manufactured pop artists is correct. How many more do we need? lets see there's Rihanna, Chris Brown, Miley Cyrus, Ke$ha, Bow Wow, and so on....

This guy sums up these artists perfectly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijr4rwb2WbE

Old 02-22-2011, 01:32 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
It's weird. These pop stars show up all the time.

-Do people remember New Kids on the Block?

-Davy Jones, lol. Didn't Marsha Brady swoon over Davy in an episode of the Brady Bunch?

-N Sync, Backstreet Boys, O Town, etc.

I think JB hit at the wrong time. People are tired of reality tv, paris hilton getting famous for no reason, kardashians, etc. He seems to be the epitome of a 2000's manufactured, pseudo celebrity.

-Plus I think the general direction music has taken. I don't remember all this hate in the 90's, when music was decent or good. People are tired of this fake, autotune music.
Exactly

Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I don't entirely agree. If people were really tired of it singers like this wouldn't keep coming along selling well and getting rich.

I think when I was a teen boy things like "New Kids" etc did anger me, but at this age I think I'm probably more tolerant of it. Studios want to make money, girls in their early teens like to swoon over someone, supply and demand. All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again and again. It's just not my world.

Sure it could seem bad more talented people don't rise, but it's likely if there were no Justin Bieber or N'SYNC or whatever many talented people would still toil in obscurity. You often need connections, stage presence, and an ability to promote yourself to sell big. The people who have that aren't always going to be the best musicians. Bieber, Kesha, et alia didn't make the system they just live in it. (Although Kesha I find slightly more annoying because I believe she did stuff that strikes me as more unethical or reckless to get noticed)

Old 02-23-2011, 10:16 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't entirely agree. If people were really tired of it singers like this wouldn't keep coming along selling well and getting rich.
The thing is, most singers like this don't sell well too long. They ususally fade after the third album or they make more albums and end up in the dollar bin before the year is up.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:27 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
we need a band like rage aginst the machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCgCyfth10

Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
The thing is, most singers like this don't sell well too long. They ususally fade after the third album or they make more albums and end up in the dollar bin before the year is up.
That's a good point. I just mean someone like them is probably going to pop up now and again even if each individual is only successful for a time. If a girl or boy gets into one at 12 they'll plausibly be bored by them by 18, or earlier, but a new group of twelve-year-olds will arise to keep the process going.

I would imagine some of them do manage to transition into something else. I guess "Tiffany" has had some songs on the dance charts in the last few years and does some movies, although they sound like B-movies. Donnie Wahlberg of "New Kids on the Block" is currently an actor in the TV cop series "Blue Bloods." Davy Jones is maybe not doing much of interest, but is apparently still rich and owns race horses. Paul Anka was once apparently a "teen idol" who continued on doing things like Adult Contemporary and theme music. Granted you also get people like Leif Garrett who flame out and ruin their lives.

It's not my kind of thing, and I agree it rarely creates lasting talents (Anka is maybe an arguable exception), but I guess it doesn't upset me too much anymore unless there is something more to be upset by it. Like Kesha kind of encouraging a possibly risky "party-girl" lifestyle, Spears's problems with mental health or addiction, Garrett's spectacular drug problems, and so forth. If Bieber starts really encouraging underage drinking, shoplifting, plagiarism, racism, or arson of jazz clubs than I'll bemoan him. For now I'm mostly just blah on him.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
I am not trying to defend JB, but the guy has got some talent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF-_GWWitUo

Old 03-02-2011, 08:22 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
People hate on him because he takes their ladies. [/thread]

Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
People hate on him because he takes their ladies. [/thread]
Taking their "ladies"? The kid is 16 and most of the girls that are "in love" with him are 12 and 13 and 14. I doubt it's because of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts