Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:42 AM

158 posts, read 907,354 times

Advertisements

Omg get over urselves! I have met more black people who r racist againt white people...and it seems to be ok for them but not ok for white people to be racist...black people have a black channel BET! Latinos have Latino channels...imagine wut would happen if white people made an all white channel! There is racism amongst every single race in the WORLD! Always was and always will be! Get over it!

As a matter of fact, America is the LEAST racist country in the world, u have no idea how bad racism is other countries. And if barely any black people received an award, they probably didn't deserve it.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:48 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpuppet View Post
Omg get over urselves! I have met more black people who r racist againt white people...and it seems to be ok for them but not ok for white people to be racist...black people have a black channel BET! Latinos have Latino channels...imagine wut would happen if white people made an all white channel!
And... cue black people who claim every other channel are "white channels run by white people" blah blah blah.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I am certain that all of you know this already but I just want to give my two cents. I was watching the Golden Globe awards and my goodness hardly any minorities, just your usual Caucasian actors from different genres.

It is so funny because I am pretty sure the majority of the audience would consider themselves "liberal" and for civil rights, equality and justice for all. It is 2011 and there are hardly any black sitcoms, popular series where the starring character is black, black directors or producers that get credit for what they do, etc; in Hollywood.

There were more black sitcoms in the 90's than there our today. These shows actually caught on with the mainstream, unlike many of today's black sitcoms. Everybody watched Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Family Matters, The Cosby Show, Sister Sister, not just black households. It seems like black sitcoms are just geared towards a certain group or demographic. What happened to change this dynamic? Why has Hollywood taken a step back??
Hollywood puts on television shows that result in sales for advertisers. They have this down to a science. If black sitcom audiences are not buying the products that are advertised, then they do not put on black sitcoms. It is an economic decision plain and simple.

If black people want to be more highly represented on television then they better get their butts out there and start making the purchases that count. It has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with money.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Exclamation And...Cue The Black Man Who Says---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
And... cue black people who claim every other channel are "white channels run by white people" blah blah blah.
Enough of this crap from BOTH sides already...

1) In regards to the OP, please don't be one of those annoying serial whiners who come out from under a rock every time Sharpton or Jackson or the NAACP start squealing like the guest of honor at a pig roast, bleating at length about some injustice, real or imagined, toward black folk...sorry to rain on your parade, but Hollywood ain't racist...there are many talented minority actors, actresses, screenwriters, directors, etc out there...same for black authors...the problem is, if we (blacks) want to get noticed, and find steady work, then we need to (gasp!!) stop making everything about the f*****g hood, and guns, and gangs, and ghetto-fabulousity...we are a proud people, with many years of accomplishments and triumphs over struggle under our belts...

But you wouldn't know that by watching BET (and sometimes TVOne) or going to the 'designated black section' at the local book store...I swear, if I see ONE MORE BOOK about 'The Hustler's Wife', 'The Hustler's Mother-In-Law', 'The Hustler's Pimpin' Grandma', 'The Game', 'The Life', 'The Game Of Life', etc, I will scream!

Everybody black doesn't live IN the hood, so by consequence, WHY must every other book, movie, tv show, or song on the radio be ABOUT the hood in some way, shape or form? How about just for once, a book or movie about somebody (yeah I'm going there) IN the hood, who, instead of pimping or hustling or gang-banging their way up, actually decides the hood is a bunch of crap, hates living there, and dedicates him or herself to getting an education, a job, finding a good mate, raising a family, and then trying to get others to want to disown the hood and get the **** OUT of it, like they did?

Wow...what a concept, right? But it would never see the light of day, because we are too rooted and attached to our beloved stereotypes---y'know, the loud-mouthed, neck-rolling, teeth sucking, finger wagging 'diva', or her counterpart, the do-rag wearing, Glock-toting, tattooed, thuggish, trying to be hard 24/7 tough guy...the talent, the resources, the drive to succeed, are all out there, but unless we embrace brains over brawn, and quit dissing any black person that acts like they have manners, good speech, and an actual functioning brain as 'trying to act white', then we should invest heavily in bandages and crutches, because we're going to keep shooting ourselves in the foot...

2) And furthermore, let me dispel yet another myth here...we (blacks) do NOT spend every waking moment of our lives whining about racism, and what whites are doing to us, and blaming whites for all our troubles...I sure as hell don't, and there are LOTS of other like-minded blacks who don't either...

We want the exact same thing as our white counterparts do---nice homes, cars, clothes, good jobs, education for ourselves and our children, the whole bag of donuts...but you'll never hear or see those folks because A) the media wants to emphasize the violent, ignorant, allegedly entitled, negative aspects of our culture, and B) we as a people don't speak up for ourselves, or act on our displeasure over this...we let our own official talking-heads (Al, Jesse, the NAACP) do our protesting for us, to the point of them teetering on the brink of total irrelevancy...

3) I'll close by saying this...that stuff about there 'already being white channels' is an unadulterated crock...those networks were in place long before a lot of us on this forum were born...and (gasp again!) over the years, there HAVE been outstanding shows done by, about, and FOR black folk...but again, those shows faded from sight for a number of reasons, not the least of which are---

1) Fact: the predominant racial/ethnic group in this country is whites (the elephant in the room everybody conveniently overlooks)...therefore, wouldn't the lion's share of movies and tv shows be geared TOWARD that demographic?

2) Too many talented blacks in the creative class (movie and tv wise, that is) have their creativity stifled and stunted because, their product or idea isn't 'black' (read 'hood') enough...if we could concentrate on putting out intelligent, QUALITY product, instead of bowing to pressure to reach just ONE segment of the viewing or reading audience, then I guarantee you, there would be a LOT more black folk up on the dais at award shows, ACCEPTING awards instead of just looking fly PRESENTING them to someone else...think about that for a minute

Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
I am certain that all of you know this already but I just want to give my two cents. I was watching the Golden Globe awards and my goodness hardly any minorities, just your usual Caucasian actors from different genres.

It is so funny because I am pretty sure the majority of the audience would consider themselves "liberal" and for civil rights, equality and justice for all. It is 2011 and there are hardly any black sitcoms, popular series where the starring character is black, black directors or producers that get credit for what they do, etc; in Hollywood.

There were more black sitcoms in the 90's than there our today. These shows actually caught on with the mainstream, unlike many of today's black sitcoms. Everybody watched Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Family Matters, The Cosby Show, Sister Sister, not just black households. It seems like black sitcoms are just geared towards a certain group or demographic. What happened to change this dynamic? Why has Hollywood taken a step back??
I don't think so. There's a black in every commercial and TV show nowadays. There's the Oprah Network, TV One, TV Centric, BET, and all of the atheletes are black and on TV. That's not true for Native Americans or Latinos. They're at least 14 percent of the population but they don't exist on tv, except maybe to play the stereotypical criminal or illegal alien. There is discrimination but it is mainly toward non-black minorities.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:28 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
2) Too many talented blacks in the creative class (movie and tv wise, that is) have their creativity stifled and stunted because, their product or idea isn't 'black' (read 'hood') enough...if we could concentrate on putting out intelligent, QUALITY product, instead of bowing to pressure to reach just ONE segment of the viewing or reading audience, then I guarantee you, there would be a LOT more black folk up on the dais at award shows, ACCEPTING awards instead of just looking fly PRESENTING them to someone else...think about that for a minute
I like this as I would like to see more that dealt with the fact blacks aren't a monolithic group or synonymous with the urban poor. There are majority-black small towns and suburbs in many states. Those are a bit more common the South, but can be found in Ohio and other states. I think there is some movement toward that.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,495 times
Maybe you're just not looking in the right places.

One of the most popular shows in recent years, Lost, had a very diverse cast of characters. It even had an interracial black/white couple in Rose and Bernard. Imagine that.

Sci-Fi shows such as Battlestar Galactica also had diverse casts. It also, once again, had an interracial couple for a while in Apollo and Dee.

I seem to always run across a Tyler Perry show when I'm channel surfing, too. Some of the stereotypes people complain about come from black shows created by black people, it seems.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,601 times
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Quote:
Based on that argument, can you say that the NBA is just as racist?

Also, since 1 in 8 Americans are black, does it seem like they are overrepresented in the media?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:29 AM

168 posts, read 307,985 times
Quote:

so, we have to remove people from winning awards because their color doesnt suit you (white)? thats not racist at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts