Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:20 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
Yes you make a very valid point. I don't remember the IR in Deuce bigelow, but I remember the one from Road trip. And yes the black woman was overweight, and notice how out of all 4 of the white guys, she hooked up with the geeky, socially awkward one who normally couldn't get girls. So yes, a lot of times when hollywood has a black woman in an IR, they don't even choose an "attractive" one. And usually even the man dating her will be a bit of an "oddball" himself. It's like they're saying the only way a black woman/white man can exist as a couple is if one or both of them are unattractive oddballs.

The movie "Eraser", is an example of when they avoided the female/male leads have relations probably because of the portrayal of IR. And this was a white man/black woman pairing.
Or it's like they are trying to make a stupid joke. I really think they just wanted to use the line "Jesus, what'd you do, kill a leopard?".

OP, what do you think of Clint Eastwood? He's had a few interracial relationships in his movies. Not to mention his partner in the Dirty Harry movies is always non-white (except for one female.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 PM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Or it's like they are trying to make a stupid joke. I really think they just wanted to use the line "Jesus, what'd you do, kill a leopard?".

OP, what do you think of Clint Eastwood? He's had a few interracial relationships in his movies. Not to mention his partner in the Dirty Harry movies is always non-white (except for one female.)
Not to mention that Clint's current wife is mixed White/Black/Asian/etc/etc. Clint is a pig though with mulitple babys with Mistresses through out the years.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:09 AM

230 posts, read 526,073 times
Quote:

This may be hard to believe, but I've never seen any of Clint Eastwood's movies. So I wasn't even aware that he had any IR's in fiction or reality. Don't know much about the guy other than that he's a hollywood legend. That's cool if he did have IR's in his movies as well as real life. Are his partners usually Asian, black?

Another example I thought of that was good was in the Justice League cartoon in the early 2000's. In the cartoon, The Green Lantern is black and he has a relationship with Hawkgirl who is white.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Ms. Natalay!!! Is that you??
It is I!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 AM

118 posts, read 299,038 times
Watched an episode of Facts of Life last night on tv and the episode was set as a pilot for a new show starring Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver) and Roseanne Katton. They were a married couple and the mother in law was Janet Dubois.

The show never ended up making it to the air but the crossover episode on the Facts of Life was probably a test pilot for it. Not sure if that matters or not but the idea has been done and this was another example.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:46 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:

In Dirty Harry, his partner was a Castilian if I remember correctly.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:04 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatanabe View Post
Why aren't there more arabs middle eastern and asians on tv?
You might want to count your blessings that there aren't. If there were, they'd be stereotyped, or turned into caricatures. Bill Cosby had a buy from India on his show for awhile. I don't know if that sort of thing is "progress".

Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You might want to count your blessings that there aren't. If there were, they'd be stereotyped, or turned into caricatures. Bill Cosby had a buy from India on his show for awhile. I don't know if that sort of thing is "progress".
That's right. Sometimes when watching a show/movie/cartoon, I think to myself "I don't know what's worse. Having a cast with no people of color, or having a few of them just to maintain and perpetuate stereotypes, or kill them before half the movie is over.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
You can't really count Save the Last Dance, because that was a movie about interracial relationships, so of course they had to have one. I think it is sparse, and as I said before it is particularly obvious that hollywood avoids it alot of the times. Movies and tv shows usually have a female and male lead. Usually the leads will have romantic interests or they will be interested in each other. Whenever the male and female leads are one black, one white, they avoid making them romantically interested in one another. Just like the examples I gave in my first post. I guess my question now since I'm so sick of seeing that is, how do we change it?
There are many films with interracial couples...off the top of my head

The Score with Robert DeNiro and Angela Bassett
Boiler Room - Giovanni Ribisi and Nia Long were a couple
The Rich Man's Wife - Halle Berry and (can't think of the actor's name)
Mission Impossible II (I think) - Thandie Newton and Tom Cruise
Angel Heart - Lisa Bonet and Mickey Rourke
Last King of Scotand - Herry Washington and James McAvoy
Romeo Must Die - Aaliyah and Jet Li
The Bodyguard - Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner
Monster's Ball - Halle Berry and Billy Rae Thornton
Mississppi Masala - Denzel Washington and an Indian actress
Lakeview Terrace - Kerry Washington and Patrick Wilson

Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
There are many films with interracial couples...off the top of my head

The Score with Robert DeNiro and Angela Bassett
Boiler Room - Giovanni Ribisi and Nia Long were a couple
The Rich Man's Wife - Halle Berry and (can't think of the actor's name)
Mission Impossible II (I think) - Thandie Newton and Tom Cruise
Angel Heart - Lisa Bonet and Mickey Rourke
Last King of Scotand - Herry Washington and James McAvoy
Romeo Must Die - Aaliyah and Jet Li
The Bodyguard - Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner
Monster's Ball - Halle Berry and Billy Rae Thornton
Mississppi Masala - Denzel Washington and an Indian actress
Lakeview Terrace - Kerry Washington and Patrick Wilson
Thanks for the list. Some of these are interesting pairings I'll have to check out that I was unaware of.

Lakeview Terrace was kind of about interracial relationships. For Mississippi Masala, I was mainly looking for black/white pairings. In Romeo Must Die, yes Aaliyah and Jet Li kicked a$$ together, but they weren't really a couple. There was never a sex scene, kissing scene, or even a date with the two of them. About the most romantic the two of them got was when Jet Li snuck up to her room just to sneak her out. That's also not a white/black couple either. Rest of the list is good though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts