Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times

Advertisements

One show I don't think has been mentioned is "When Boy Meets World." It was a sitcom about kids from ages 11-18. One of the male characters who was white (Shawn) had a black girlfriend (Angela).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
There are many films with interracial couples...off the top of my head

The Score with Robert DeNiro and Angela Bassett
Boiler Room - Giovanni Ribisi and Nia Long were a couple
The Rich Man's Wife - Halle Berry and (can't think of the actor's name)
Mission Impossible II (I think) - Thandie Newton and Tom Cruise
Angel Heart - Lisa Bonet and Mickey Rourke
Last King of Scotand - Herry Washington and James McAvoy
Romeo Must Die - Aaliyah and Jet Li
The Bodyguard - Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner
Monster's Ball - Halle Berry and Billy Rae Thornton
Mississppi Masala - Denzel Washington and an Indian actress
Lakeview Terrace - Kerry Washington and Patrick Wilson
That should be Billy Bob Thornton... speaking of Billy, he was married to Cynda Williams (Black, she might be mixed, not sure) who starred with Denzel in Mo' Better Blues.

And Since we are not just counting black/white anymore...

As for Denzel... Eva Mendes was his love interest in Training Day and Out of Time. He also had a Puerto Rican wife in American Gangster (of course based on the real Puerto Rican wife of Frank Lucas)

Speaking of Eva... she was Will Smith's love interest in Hitch.

Jennifer Lopez was Wesley Snipes love interest in Money Train. She was also Sean Penn's love interest in U-Turn. And
Rosario Dawson was Ray Allen's love interest in He Got Game.

Rosie Perez and Woody Harrelson were love interest in White Men Can't Jump.

Naomi Watts was Samuel L. Jackson's love interest in Mother and Child. Samuel also had a sex scene with a blonde lady in another movie but her name and the movie slips my memory for now...

If I repeated any that had already been mentioned I apologize... I did not go through the entire thread.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:01 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,250 times
I just want to throw in my guilty pleasure, Degrassi. It's a Canadian teenage drama show with an ever shifting cast (graduate the older students, introduce younger ones) and they have had every combination of relationship and rarely make any sort of deal out of it.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:21 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Can't speak for movies but I'm sure TV networks have tested it and if they don't get a good reaction they scrap it since they are trying to sell advertising.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,372,909 times
one of my favorite IR was Toni/Todd on Girlfriends. I liked it because they were just real and open about it, made jokes but it wasn't like some huge deal.

Another that comes to mind is when Kim dated Freddie's white cousin on Different World. And when Tyra did that movie where she was a doll and came to life; she fell in love with a white man.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:52 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,037 times
Because white men who run the Tv/movie industry wont allow it. Simple and plain

And black/Hispanic relationships don't count so I don't know why some mention it.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
I'm white and one of my best friends is black. She has a white boyfriend. I love them both and I'd rather live it in real life than see it on TV thank you.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Why the obsession with race? Does it really matter?
It's on the Relationships threads too, ad nauseum, with black women who wonder why they can't expand their pool of prospects beyond black men. And those threads close quickly.

So, now it's here, on Entertainment.

Answer to the OP: Because there just AREN'T. Deal with it.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
I just watched a family oriented movie called "Game of Your Life."

I was actually really happy with this movie in a lot of ways.

1. The main character was a nerdy black teen (ok the movie is about video game designers, everyone is a nerd in the movie)
2. The movie is all about choices and consequences so there are great lessons for your kids (if you watch with them)
3. They actually had two interracial couples. There was only one female lead, South Asian (supposed to be from East Timor). She dates one of the white characters, and later dumps him for the lead.
4. Race wasn't a factor at all in this movie, lots of positive teen characters. And the adults had interracial friendships too. This is really rare. Showing people of different ethnic groups actually being real friends. (Especially in the case of adults, very common with teen characters)

Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 PM

742 posts, read 2,067,748 times
To answer the OP question: it's too cliche. I myself am tired of seeing them. I much rather see other combination of interracial couples than black-white ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts