Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

The Marvel comic-strip, X-Men, is to feature its first same-sex wedding, as an openly gay superhero proposed to his boyfriend in an issue that went on sale this week.

read more Gay superhero in Astonishing X-Men to get married to his partner - PinkNews.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The Marvel comic-strip, X-Men, is to feature its first same-sex wedding, as an openly gay superhero proposed to his boyfriend in an issue that went on sale this week.

read more Gay superhero in Astonishing X-Men to get married to his partner - PinkNews.co.uk

Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Do you know what comic book company is far ahead of Marvel or DC in terms of gay characters being integrated into the storyline? Archie Comics. For some reason that strikes me as hilarious but makes me sad at the same time. How is it that Riverdale gets a gay character who is more than a token, but Marvel squawks about tolerance yet keeps its gays in the shadows until they want some press?

Old 05-25-2012, 05:42 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,447 times
Gay and mixed race. Woohoo...

Seriously, what's up with this?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:14 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,455 times
I wish people would discontinue unwarranted catering to the Gay populous. We do not need gay Super Hero(s),action figures etc...
I do not feel the need to make a lane where one is not in demand! What's next gay windows,Toolsets, or deodorant?

Totally not a dig at homosexuals just my statement.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:06 PM

You do realize that windows and deodorant are not people, right?

That's like saying there's no need for any superhero who isn't white, blonde-haired, and blue-eyed. People come in more than one variety, superheros are people...therefore they should come in more than one variety too.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
You do realize that windows and deodorant are not people, right?

That's like saying there's no need for any superhero who isn't white, blonde-haired, and blue-eyed. People come in more than one variety, superheros are people...therefore they should come in more than one variety too.
How brilliant of you.
Windows and deodorant made just to appease homosexuals this my friend is silly; nearly as silly as gay Super Heros.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
How brilliant of you.
Windows and deodorant made just to appease homosexuals this my friend is silly; nearly as silly as gay Super Heros.
Nice of you to avoid the rest of my statement.

I'm actually against gay superheroes created simply to appease as well...though token gays are not created to appease the gay community but rather to garner press.

I'm all for superheroes who just happen to be gay and are fully developed characters. Just like I'm for superheroes who happen to be black, Hispanic, mixed race, in wheelchairs, blind, etc.

Silly me, but I would get awfully bored reading about the same monochromatic set of blonde haired, blue eyed, white superheroes.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:07 PM

[quote=ParallelJJCat;24478027]Nice of you to avoid the rest of my statement.

I'm actually against gay superheroes created simply to appease as well...though token gays are not created to appease the gay community but rather to garner press.

I'm all for superheroes who just happen to be gay and are fully developed characters. Just like I'm for superheroes who happen to be black, Hispanic, mixed race, in wheelchairs, blind, etc.

Silly me, but I would get awfully bored reading about the same monochromatic set of blonde haired, blue eyed, white superheroes.[/quote]
Good call. If my statement\reply was understood; why seem like I am soaring from left field?

Old 05-27-2012, 02:33 PM

[quote=SPECFRCE;24485575]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Nice of you to avoid the rest of my statement.

Silly me, but I would get awfully bored reading about the same monochromatic set of blonde haired, blue eyed, white superheroes.[/quote]
Good call. If my statement\reply was understood; why seem like I am soaring from left field?
Are you trying to pretend that your only issue was with token characters as well? Because that is not what you've been saying.

You are stating that a gay superhero is 'silly' by virtue of existing and there is no need for any superhero to be gay. It's no sillier than a black superhero. And there is a need for it, just as there is a need for black superheroes. The problem is only in making 'black' or 'gay' the defining character trait. Again, the fact that Archie comics managed to have a gay character with other traits and a full storyline and Marvel and DC have not is embarrassing. It isn't 'silly' for Archie comics to have a integrated gay character.
And while I dislike Marvel using this press and pushing Northstar to the background time and again, I'd still rather have a token than no representation at all. Integrated characters have to start somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts