U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 AM

12,093 posts, read 15,528,324 times

Advertisements

Just what the title implies. Just this morning, I went online to look at the news. Was interested in the pressing issues such as the economy, the Middle East conflict and the science and health news. Not 1, Article or 2 but 3 reporting that "Justin and Selena had dinner". This is way overboard. And it was on 1 page. Not counting the other 3 articles that were a waste of bandwith.

I am starting to think this is some New World order conspiracy to dumb us down. the trashy reality shows, glorified bad behavior, talentless, snobby hacks who are famous for nothing (Esp the 3 hairy sisters) holier-then-thou hipsters and their beards and soulless consumerism. How many will be trampled on Black Friday at the Wal-mart so that the latest gadget can be had? This is probably more for another thread but I think it has a relation. In a nutshell, I, And I think others too feel like outsiders. Some Real life people around me are not helping. Ex asking if I watch a certain show and I say no. Their reply: "Why not?" 2 reasons:

1. Said show sucks (It was Jersey Shore by the way.)

2. I work long hours and prefer watching other things. Not those clowns. I think many agree.

Now, I am not ragging on everything popular. I love shows that are popular as well. "Homeland" and "walking dead" and the Law and order shows for example. the difference is these are shows with talented actors, writers and a great story.

Another thing that irks me that I have posted. The music. Tired of the auto-tuned, whiny songs played over and over again. It's like brainwashing. If you are out shopping for example you might go to 2 or 3 stores. Guess what is playing each time. the same song. "Call me maybe?" I am not calling at all. No way. How many bands are out there on smaller, obscure labels that cannot get an audience or exposure because the stiffs at the record labels are looking for the music version of the pied piper? Probably a lot.

it's just feels like overkill the last few years. Anyway, it's almost holiday time and i don't want to drone on too much. Best to everyone. Remember this is my view and not judging those who enjoy it themselves. Just gets a bit much sometimes with the constant advertising and such.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM

3,817 posts, read 4,580,099 times
So yesterday, our company had our Thanksgiving lunch. As we were sitting at the table and NO ONE was talking, I said "so I was listening to the radio this morning and not even ONE station had any news about traffic, news on Israel, or even charitable events...it was all about Justin Bieber...wth?"

I was interupted half way through when someone said, "what happened to Justin?"

I was so irked...with half the word still hanging in my mouth, I just shook my head and thought that I must work with idiots. Do you know I did not hear one conversation the day after elections about how the President made his second term? When Steve Jobs died last year, my coworked asked "who's Steve Jobs"? I am not the most educated person when it comes to politics and foreign affairs...I have a hard time watching news because it really is so dreadful...but seriously, I can hold my own...at the very least, if I'm not "up" on a subject, I'm still pretty interested to know about it and at least listen...

No, not this fast food world of ours...our news stories are a paragraph long and don't even include the who, what, when, where and why anymore. There's no conclusion, no motive - just a headline with no real information being presented. And I do like pop culture...I love movies and music...I watch TV and read....but it seems that I'm a relic. Having a decent conversation about things we should find important is a thing of the past...

I also find it sad that what you can buy and what you can do to earn yourself a place at the table is far more important than world news...or how everything "bad" gets glossed over since you can buy a TV at Walmart on Thanksgiving night for a steal. Guess I'm an old soul...

Old 11-20-2012, 10:17 AM

5,763 posts, read 10,407,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Just what the title implies. Just this morning, I went online to look at the news. Was interested in the pressing issues such as the economy, the Middle East conflict and the science and health news. Not 1, Article or 2 but 3 reporting that "Justin and Selena had dinner". This is way overboard. And it was on 1 page. Not counting the other 3 articles that were a waste of bandwith.

I am starting to think this is some New World order conspiracy to dumb us down. the trashy reality shows, glorified bad behavior, talentless, snobby hacks who are famous for nothing (Esp the 3 hairy sisters) holier-then-thou hipsters and their beards and soulless consumerism. How many will be trampled on Black Friday at the Wal-mart so that the latest gadget can be had? This is probably more for another thread but I think it has a relation. In a nutshell, I, And I think others too feel like outsiders. Some Real life people around me are not helping. Ex asking if I watch a certain show and I say no. Their reply: "Why not?" 2 reasons:

1. Said show sucks (It was Jersey Shore by the way.)

2. I work long hours and prefer watching other things. Not those clowns. I think many agree.

Now, I am not ragging on everything popular. I love shows that are popular as well. "Homeland" and "walking dead" and the Law and order shows for example. the difference is these are shows with talented actors, writers and a great story.

Another thing that irks me that I have posted. The music. Tired of the auto-tuned, whiny songs played over and over again. It's like brainwashing. If you are out shopping for example you might go to 2 or 3 stores. Guess what is playing each time. the same song. "Call me maybe?" I am not calling at all. No way. How many bands are out there on smaller, obscure labels that cannot get an audience or exposure because the stiffs at the record labels are looking for the music version of the pied piper? Probably a lot.

it's just feels like overkill the last few years. Anyway, it's almost holiday time and i don't want to drone on too much. Best to everyone. Remember this is my view and not judging those who enjoy it themselves. Just gets a bit much sometimes with the constant advertising and such.

It's not a conspiracy, the media are businesses out to make money. They put out the products people consume and people consume news about Justin Bieber.

Just like people consume ****ty music.

Moderator cut: cut

Last edited by Beretta; 11-21-2012 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM

9,238 posts, read 21,294,991 times
I would not call the OP lazy. He probably DOES seek out the news and entertainment he likes (as do I). But the point is that you have to get through so much useless garbage to get to anything substantial and important.

Inane pop culture is shoved in our faces. I don't think it's an organized, planned conspiracy, but there are certainly people and groups who benefit from this, and not just the media outlets and the celebrities themselves. When people close their eyes to important things and only take in brain candy, they are much more easily controlled and manipulated.

I was listening to a radio bit where people on the street were asked questions like "Where is Benghazi? Why was it in the news recently?" and the average people could not answer this. But when asked about some bit of celebrity gossip, or a reality TV show, they could all answer.

Even if people are into the stuff I think is garbage, why are they not also at least a little knowledgable about the important things happening in the world?

Do they know that the mid-east is on fire and on the brink of all-out war?
Do they know that the Euro is dead and the dollar is heading that way? Do they even know how that will affect us all?
Do they even know about anything that Congress debates and decides on? Do they care?

But they certainly know who Justin Bieber is dating or what the Kardassians are up to. They know who won Dancing with the Stars and American Idol.

It's just scary to me. Scary and sad. I sometimes think we're just doomed.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM

4,526 posts, read 8,140,687 times
Many people get their news from Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report.

GL2

Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM

9,238 posts, read 21,294,991 times
I disagree with the slant that John Stewart, Bill Maher and Stephen Colbert take (I'm quite to the opposite side of the spectrum), I'm at least glad that their viewers care something about politics and world events, even if they do choose to get it in pre-digested, semi-comedic, left-leaning pieces.

But there are plenty of people out there who would rather watch celebrity gossip shows (like "Extra") or networks like TMZ, and call them "news," and who would refer to the above shows as "boring" because they even touch upon real news issues.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,689,024 times
Okay. I feel exactly the same way and it's not that I am culturally biased, but if I hear one more thing about the latest pair of "red bottom" shoes or "big booty" chick songs I will scream. I'm not interested in the "flyest" outfit or how your new yaki weave looks either.

I'd like to discuss politics, computers, and news. Thank goodness I was able to find this in my SO.

I can't even speak to my family because all they care about is what is going on television (Basketball Wives & Jersey Shore) and the latest style of shoes out.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM

12,093 posts, read 15,528,324 times
John Stewart mentioned on his show actually that there are people who only get news from the show. Regardless of it being true or not it at least follows real current events. I like that show.

I don't like being in Dunkin donuts now hearing LMFAO. I'm leaving. This is what I started this thread over. Ugh.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 PM

6,127 posts, read 9,443,783 times
I agree with you 100%. People are stupid. I don't know everything about politics and foreign affairs, but I read the news daily and I try to stay up to date. It is absolutely amazing how many people have no clue what's going on in the world. Our world is facing some really serious issues from conflicts in the middle east to the fiscal cliff here at home, and most people are too busy tweeting what they had for dinner and posting posed picture of themselves on Facebook to pay any attention. I saw a movie a few years ago about some guy (Luke Wilson I think) who gets frozen and wakes up in the future and everyone is so stupid they can barely function. Sounds likely to me if we keep going the way we're going. Who seriously cares if a couple of little teeny boppers broke up and then had dinner??

Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 PM

3,817 posts, read 4,580,099 times
I think that movie with Luke Wilson is called Idiocracy...and wow, did it hit home!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts