Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 02:59 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times

Advertisements

For all the handwringing that goes on from people inside Hollywood about the sexism there, it still goes on. How many "actresses" out there are working primarily because of their looks? When they push 40 and get larger than a size two, you can bet their careers will tank. Think Darryl Hannah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,902 times
I have no clue why Jessica Alba gets cast in anything and the same goes for Meghan Fox.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,538 times
Wouldnt that be considered ageism? Not sexism.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Wouldnt that be considered ageism? Not sexism.

I think the two "isms" go hand in hand. How many actors have been cast primarily for their looks and had their careers founder as they became middle-aged? I think compared to actresses, very few.

I also think as actresses get older, they have to put a lot of effort into staying fit and trim in order to keep their careers going, while actors can put on a "middle-aged spread" without harming their careers.

How many actresses do you know who have managed to keep their careers going long after their "young and sexy" days were over?

Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 AM

195 posts, read 350,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think the two "isms" go hand in hand. How many actors have been cast primarily for their looks and had their careers founder as they became middle-aged? I think compared to actresses, very few.

I also think as actresses get older, they have to put a lot of effort into staying fit and trim in order to keep their careers going, while actors can put on a "middle-aged spread" without harming their careers.

How many actresses do you know who have managed to keep their careers going long after their "young and sexy" days were over?
Annette Bening
Diane keaton
Glenn Close
Meryl Streep
Candice Bergen
Cybil shepard
Susan Sarandon

And many more. I can also give you a list of men who couldn't keep their careers after their looks faded. Obviously viewers want to see younger characters so only a few actors survive after their mid/late thirties.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 PM

261 posts, read 512,579 times
Ya sure Michael C. Hall is an amazing actor (He is actually good one of the few). But do you think he would be staring in Dexter if he didn't look the way he did.

Do you honestly think Chris Evans, Ryan Philip, Chris Hemsworth, Ryan Reynolds are TRUE 5 star actors who get paid an outrageous amount of money for there acting skills. Humm I wonder why none of those guys have ever been nominated for a single note worthy award and yet there films make HUGE amounts of money. In what films do you see Evens being in once his skin has faded and his jaw line isn't so strong ? What about Helmsworth when that 'Thor' look is gone--you know he is such a versatile actor....
Why do young girls LOVE Taylor Lautner and Robert Pattinson. You think its because they are truly talented actors ? Im sure they believe they themselves are just that good but no.

Say what you want but Meryl Streep is NEVER out of work and by far the undisputed greatest living actress today.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 PM

182 posts, read 186,661 times
I h8 seeing sexizt moviez, its neeeds tu stup

Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,456 times
Looksism really bothers me across entertainment genres. Really, being "beautiful" shouldn't be required to be an actress or a singer for example. What should be required is talent i.e. superior acting abilities / stellar singing voice. Do you find at least in the acting category that the UK puts talent before looks more-so than the U.S.? It seems so to me, but my exposure is limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts