Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does it Bother You That TV/Movies are Generally NYC/LA Centered?
Yes 5 29.41%
No 6 35.29%
Sometimes 5 29.41%
Indifferent/Other 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,044,886 times

Advertisements

I like NYC, and I know a lot of people do, but it's refreshing to see TV shows, movies etc. portrayed elsewhere. It reminds people there's life outside of NYC/LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,576,022 times
I prefer NYC settings. It's familiar and I understand it. LA/CA is like a foreign country to me, with it's own strange customs and climate.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 PM

727 posts, read 1,532,590 times
The problem with shows/movies that don't take place in NY or LA is that they completely miss the mark. Bird on a Wire took place in Detroit, but they did a horrible job of showing it. One, they don't have light rail in Detroit, and we don't refer to the freeways as "The 94". ER did a great job of working Chicago into the series. As much as I like The Office, I wish they did more to promote Scranton then just mentioning Steamtown Mall and a couple of local businesses.

The one that made me the most livid was the show Hawthorne on TNT. It takes place in Richmond, VA. I got excited that a show was finally going to take place here, but I angrily turned off the TV after one episode. It's Hollywood's definition of Richmond, in that the writers could change their mind and move to the show to Rochester, NY, and nobody would ever tell the difference. They could've at least put real RPD uniforms on the police officers.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:17 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,649,878 times
I live in LA and actually enjoy seeing film/tv set here. Also, a lot of shows that are supposed to be set somewhere else are actually filmed here (not really a surprise). For example, the TV show "Bones" is filmed here. The Jeffersonian is the LA Museum of Natural History building. I've read threads on films that were supposed to be set in NYC that were clearly filmed in LA - recognizable buildings, etc... They do that thing with establishing shots/footage that is stock and edit it in.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:35 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,817,875 times
Its JUST A MOVIE,why would anyone care where it was at??

Old 11-21-2013, 12:48 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,044,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Its JUST A MOVIE,why would anyone care where it was at??
They make such movie locations obvious. I just threw this out there to see if people around the USA would like to see other places showcased. It's no wonder how many non-Americans think there's nothing besides, NYC, LA and a few select cities.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:06 AM

37,792 posts, read 40,977,589 times
For some reason I find LA cop shows to be bad if they spend a lot of time outdoors in the daytime. Too much sunshine. Palm trees. Too pool sceney. Too clean. Too beachy. Too PC. Doesn't seem serious enough for a crime drama. And if one more stupid criminal or "on-the-run-good-guy" runs to the end of the Santa Monica Pier when the cops are chasing them...UGH. Keep the comedies/romances/office-cutthroat/lawyer/foo-foo drama stuff in LA. The crime dramas belong in big, dirty, tall building, noisy, bad-weather big cities or rural area small town sheriff places where cops don't run to a shrink every episode (L&O:SVU going down the LA track is so wrong) because they, not the criminals, need one.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,084 times
It comes down to cost of production and locale familiarity. (unfortunatley)
Shows like Justified are a breath of fresh air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts