Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 AM

958 posts, read 2,133,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
That they ended.
Ohhh I was going to say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
Ohhh I was going to say that.
Heretics...

Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Heretics...
ouch

Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
"The X Files" on Sunday at 9 p.m.
"Homicide: Life on the Street"
When you said "Law & Order" everyone knew what you meant because the original was the only one
And, dare I say, "Nash Bridges"
Movies like "Pulp Fiction," "Natural Born Killers" and "The Shawshank Redemption"
U2's way out 90s CDs, especially "Zooropa"
Nirvana
Being alive and witnessing the Reign of Michael Jordan
Being alive and witnessing the Reign of Michael Jordan
I wanted to say it twice because I'm still stoked about that!
The Atlanta Braves going from worst the first.... and staying there
Even if they only one won World Series, some teams have never won one!
Getting an NFL team 40 miles from where I lived, the Carolina Panthers
Having a president I voted for win
Having a president I voted for win again..... and then not regreting voting for him

Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 AM

427 posts, read 947,779 times
That they were part of the 20th century; not the 21st.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times
I loved the hairstyles, clothes, and music of the 90s.
I also loved some of the movies (too sleepy to remember any) and TV shows (Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, Martin, and New York Undercover to name a few).

Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,617 times
Well, all I can do is pretty much echo other posters at this point, but what the hell.

Smoking bans were pretty much nonexistent beyond hospitals, schools, federal buildings and, I would think, daycare centers (the cost of cigarettes didn't exactly drain the bank, either).

Gasoline by and large hadn't reached $1.00 until what, 1998 or so (and a travesty that was!).

MTV wasn't completely dedicated to showcasing narcissistic a**wipes as an "entertaining" dose of "real life".

It was perfectly acceptable to wear a bowl haircut (okay, this isn't something that I liked, but it's a memorably horrific fad that should never, ever be forgotten).

I kinda liked that the stripes on long and short-sleeved polos were vertical instead of horizontal (I don't notice horizontal shirt stripes anymore--is that just me?).

Bucket hats, boom boxes (the ones with CD players), Nick at Night played reruns of "The Wonder Years", dial-up internet access, flannel, Doc Martins (I still wear them, haha), kids wearing those annoying tennis shoes with flashing lights on the heels, neon colors (more of an early 90s thing, I guess), those creepy little Furby toys, "Just Shoot Me", Chris Farley, Garth Brooks, Zima, Adam Sandler, Titanic, Pontiac craze...wow, I'm off on kind of a role here. I didn't necessarily love (or like) this stuff, but recollections are on overdrive, I guess.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:20 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,672 times
TV: Beavis & Butthead, Friends, Step By Step, Full House, Saved by the Bell, Boy Meets World and all the other TGIF shows, some of the best years for SNL (my opinion, at least) with Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Rob Shneider, Will Farrel, Dana Carvey, etc.

Movies: Jurrassic Park, Sandlot (one of my favorites, lol), Home Alone

Technology: Internet, the cell phone era was slowly starting to trickle into my high school in the late 90's. I remember more than a few classmates of mine having them. Mortal Kombat, Doom, Super Nintendo, Sega, Nintendo 64, man it seemed like there were a lot of new systems coming out then

Music: Obviously grunge, Marilyn Manson

The U.S.: Relatively peaceful time, cheap gas, booming economy, balanced budget

Sports: Jordan era=the last time I had any interest in the NBA, Great Quarterback era-Joe Montana, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, John Elway, Boomer Esiason, Dan Marino, the Steroid Era for baseball

Old 06-22-2013, 04:58 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
In retrospect.... the more select Internet and cable tv and lack of cell phones.

Life was much better then when not everyone was an Internet expert and there was no continuous social tether. No reality shows either. Really.

Last edited by Felix C; 06-22-2013 at 05:10 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 05:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Computers were better but not everyone was glued to the cell phone yet.

Music was waaaaaaaaaaay better.

That whole weird bobble head stick figure duck face thing wasn't the hot thing for women. Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts