Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:39 PM

934 posts, read 1,122,324 times

Advertisements

Yes, that would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 12:21 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,729,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05
......I could barely understand a word the characters were saying, but I knew whatever it was had to be funny because I would laugh at the parts that I did actually understand. So, I started turning on the closed captioning on my TV to read what the characters were actually saying.
Ya thats not a bad idea but how do you know the text is accurate??

Old 01-27-2015, 01:10 AM

23,532 posts, read 13,752,914 times
Sometimes, such as if it is a foreign language channel.

Or when they are talking in "English" like "Snatch". I was about ready to cast the movie aside as unwatchable until I went back and put the subtitles on. Then, it became enjoyable.

And then, there was the time..............

//www.city-data.com/forum/tv/22...-odd-btvs.html

Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,484,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
So am I missing something or is there NO closed captioning option for anything on Amazon instant video? I just signed up for a free Prime trial and have been checking it out over the past couple weeks. I have not watched anything there yet that is captioned and the CC option on my TV isn't picking anything up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Well re: Amazon instant -- since I posted the earlier post I have discovered that some shows/movies do seem to have a captioning option after all. There just aren't very many, compared to Netflix titles. Netflix seems to offer it on most titles, the only ones that don't have the option are usually older productions.
I have Amazon Prime and always turn on CC. I'd say 95% of their movies and TV shows have it. Like Netflix, there's an occasional old or obscure show without CC but it's rare..
What kind of device are you using to stream the video?
I use a Firestick when I'm streaming it to TV but I frequently stream or download Amazon videos to my MacBook, iPad, or Fire HD tablet and the CC works fine on all.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:21 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,484,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ya thats not a bad idea but how do you know the text is accurate??
For all current filmed movies and tv shows, typists have the script and read it as they listen to the soundtrack so it's at or close to 100% accuracy. Typists wear high-quality headphones and sit in a soundproof booth, where they also have the video feed available.

That's also true for most (but not all) older videos. When a copy of the script is not available, the typists rewind and double-check as they go, and of course the final production is always checked. Caption typists are highly skilled, they're certified by the of the National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) and adhere to association standards.

When the show is live and the captions are being typed in real time, mistakes will happen but I believe the association accuracy standard is 98%.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:43 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,239,363 times
In college, I hung out with a number of hearing-impaired students. I got so used to watching TV with CC turned on that more than 20 years later, I still do. Now when I watch TV without it, I feel like I'm missing something.

It helps with a lot of the shows where the background music is too loud and overpowers the dialogue.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:46 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,769,351 times
No I do not watch things with closed captioning. Nor do I watch anything with subtitles.

I do not have the patience to spend my awake time reading, rather than watching and listening.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:28 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,357,910 times
I'm hearing impaired so yeah, all the time.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:33 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,598,258 times
I can hear just fine, but the sound or accents on some shows are so bad, I can't understand all the words. For example, I just watched all of Sons of Anarchy on netflix... subtitled it! Downton Abbey? Subtitles!

Old 01-31-2015, 09:57 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,735,020 times
I do, especially for the British shows on PBS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts