Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:30 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times

Advertisements

Who's to blame for the zombie fad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 PM

348 posts, read 336,558 times
I'm not sure.
It kinda took off there for a while, didn't it?

Maybe the real threat of a worldwide virus pandemic? The SHTF moments where rivers of faceless, emaciated hordes flicker past the televion window as we eat out Wheaties? Zombies / Lepers / Cannibals being far more realistic (such as they may be) than Vampires or Werewolves of the past.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The Walking Dead on AMC

Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Vampires and werewolves are growing tiresome from over use.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:46 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,464,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Zombies.

[they can't help it]

Old 05-12-2013, 08:24 AM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulfate View Post
Well, to answer this question, I like to start out by looking at the media industry as all interrelated. What I mean by this is that movies bounce off from video games, tv shows bounce of from music. Not necessarily in that order at all.

Now, lets look at the top video game right now, black ops. The biggest feature of this game is the zombies setting which almost every gamer plays, simply because its fun. When film and tv companies look at the market in the video game industry and how zombies take up a large portion of it, they want to get in on this.

They then take that interest seeing how its profitable, and produce into movies and tv shows creating a growing cycle of zombie obsession.

Now, if I wanted to go out on a limb and Hypothesize a little more philosophical point, I believe there is room for this too;

Because of the growing structure, dictation, and stress in society - whether its paying the bills, finding a job, or the exhaustion of the daily grind which is growing in duration, people become sick of the constant structure and conformism. Although we are a "democracy", we are authored to consistently follow rules and norms, and this exhaustion as mentioned above, leads to a fantasy that consists of anarchy and personal power.

How would a "anarchic fantasy of personal power" exist? In the event of a zombie apocalypse. A zombie outbreak allows people the idea of going around, whatever speed limit, shooting whatever the hell they want where they want. A least this is what the media portrays. Therefore, people naturally want to simulate this. Fantasy through the form of movies and video games.

So, there ya go. Apologize if there are any unorganized or poorly written sentences there, I just wrote this on my ipad in middle of class during a lecture.
So that's what you were doing in my class! You lose 3 points for being inattentive. Then again, you can turn the piece in for extra credit and gain 3 points...

Great piece! And no, you're not in my class, but I wish you were!

Old 05-19-2013, 05:05 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,687 times
I really want to know too. Not the phenomenon of the original zombie movies, which aren't my cup of tea but whose popularity I can understand. I mean the explosion about 5 years ago with everybody and their brother planning how to survive the zombie apocalypse, and drawing a zillion cartoons with bubbles saying "braaaains." I quite simply don't get it, and it sure got old for me about 3 years ago, but clearly most people just devour that stuff.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Good question, these guys sure are taking advantage of it tho
Zombie Survival Store - Orlando

Old 05-20-2013, 03:23 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
What we need are some good high school "coming of age" movies with the same $!tchy looking actress playing the crusty suspicious older sister and anal school adminstrator who always get's what's coming to him in the end.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 AM

249 posts, read 473,371 times
I think that the amount of people that decided to hummm i am go and eat someone under the overpass or the man that was eating that other man on the train in Japan. It could also be that man that jump off the second story fire escape and began chewing on that ladies head...Or it could be the wildly popular walking dead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts