U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:49 PM

20,113 posts, read 10,739,141 times

Advertisements

Does "canned" count?

Today, I was talking with a brother today while shopping in Hastings, you may have heard of their terminus, and I reflected how I still needed to check out their comic book selections for "Kara". After I reflected who Kara was, you may know her by her nom de voyage, the name she travels under as "Supergirl", he asked me if I watched the show.

No....because I don't have the time.

Everything I watched is "canned", be it VHS tape or, in the transistion, DVD. I don't have time to keep up with what is current, so I watch a certain theme when I am in certain mood.

So, long story short, I watch it when I am in the mood, not when it is popular.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 11:10 AM

82 posts, read 59,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Has anyone here gone "off the grid" when it comes to mass media?

By this I mean not reading the newspapers or magazines (tuning out politics and "the news"), dropping cable or dish and, in fact, not owning a TV or DVD player, not listening to radio,seeing very few if any movies.

Basically tuning out pop culture..news/politics, entertainment like Cable TV, pop music, movies, sports....

I've done this up to a point (still listen---sometimes--- to radio and old CDs---but have tuned out much of the news and pop culture), but was wondering if anyone else has went off-the-grid, so to speak (not sure if this is even the apprporiate forum for this)???
Yes I have before. Sometimes I think it's good for the mind. To just be disconnected for a little while. We're bombarded with so much these days.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:48 AM

20,113 posts, read 10,739,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Has anyone here gone "off the grid" when it comes to mass media?

By this I mean not reading the newspapers or magazines (tuning out politics and "the news"), dropping cable or dish and, in fact, not owning a TV or DVD player, not listening to radio,seeing very few if any movies.

Basically tuning out pop culture..news/politics, entertainment like Cable TV, pop music, movies, sports....

I've done this up to a point (still listen---sometimes--- to radio and old CDs---but have tuned out much of the news and pop culture), but was wondering if anyone else has went off-the-grid, so to speak (not sure if this is even the apprporiate forum for this)???
Round Two!.......or at least, another time around.

I find that "dropping off the grid" (though that is not how I would put it) is much easier of the mind. A friend the other day posted in another place a psychology article of how to keep one's sanity in these times, an article that was very against you know who.

I responded in my usual clueless butterfly way, asking if the idiot box was a form of entertainment or torture. Long story short, when it comes to being part of that world, I see it two ways. First of all, it doesn't matter what I think for those who hold the seats will do as they darn well please; so why get upset about what they do from day to day. Secondly, when it comes time for my say, they have 15 minutes to convince me (ie, usually checking their voting website). That's it.

As far as popular culture, it goes two ways. Day to day, that's my Serena complex of "Incredibly intelligent but quite ignorant of popular culture". When I have to know about popular culture, such as if I am doing Improv on stage, then I pick up and read a few weeks of "People".

Granted, now that we are six years fast forward from the OP, watching things on DVD or even, GOD FORBID, tape might now apply to being off the grid. Even this laptop I type on now could be considered that for it has, something I had to search for, a DVD drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
.......So many Americans don't have jobs and are losing their homes and I have to listen to a celebrity who is making millions off of these people when they go to the movies.
Hmmmmmm, curious from an A and B prospect. First of all, as I understand (for I was overseas at the time), that was one of the things that killed the Bill Bixby show, The Magician. The country was in an energy crisis and here he was, flying in his private jet, driving his corvette. Did he just want up the fuel to be able to do so?

Secondly, maybe the reason why the Western was popular during the Depression was because "those people on the screen" weren't living much better than the audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
This thread reminds me of a woman my parents once knew who actually did disconnected herself to anything related to pop culture including national & even local news. ......
Now for me....I don't have as much interest in pop culture as I once did but since I live in Denver its tough if not impossible to cut yourself off totally from such things the way this woman did back in 1985. I would probably get smacked in the face for being rude if I were to put my fingers in my ears and scream LA LA LA LA LA to tune somebody out.
Well, I do have a weather (and short wave) radio but that is because that is the only way out here, really, to get weather data.

As far as not wanting to interact with people when I don't want to? I usually respond to them in Russian or Arabic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I think in particular the highest paid TV actresses are almost invisible to most men. These earnings are total earnings (not just TV salary). Most men know these names, but for many men they are almost invisible.

May 2011 and May 2012.
Sophia Vergara $19m
Kim Kardashian, $18m
Eva Longoria $15m
Khloe Kardashian Odom $12m
Bethenny Frankel $11m
They are mostly unknown to me, too! Kardashian, yes, I have heard of (but in the weeks before the Woman of the Year, I was asking who was that to the amazement of many) and while I have heard of Eva Longoria........did she play the ex Vogue cover model on "Desperate Housewives"?

It was like in Improv around 2010 when we were playing "Who Am I?" and the character being suggested that I was to convince the person waiting outside was "Dr. Phil".....until one of my classmates said, "The thing is, I don't think Tamara has a clue who Dr. Phil is."......and he was, of course, right.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:39 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,176,815 times
As someone that retired in their 20s - I’ve done this for long periods of time.

Being retired means I don’t have to hear about news/social media/pop culture at work either.

I wanted my thoughts to organically rise from my own mind and the real world around me.

It feels GREAT.

I feel much more intelligent and connected to my own pure state of being human.

I feel more connected to my thoughts, who I am, my family and the world around me.

Every so often I’ll check in on what people are talking about. But for the most part our culture annoys the sheet out of me. Consumerism run amuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts