Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times

Advertisements

it was the year right before i got married...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 06:43 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times
Wow another thread for the elderly to complain about how awesome pop culture was when they were young and how terrible it is now...great. Mine was 2010, that was the last year before the bowling accident when I was able to perform sexually.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:10 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
What was the last year I truly enjoyed things? 1940.

Well, if feels like it. I wasn't even thought of in 1940 ...

Well, PhenomenalAJ, what do you have against "the elderly"? If you're fortunate enough, you may be elderly one day. Maybe you are - and resent it.

I'm just tired of "younger people" putting down anyone older than them - even if it's by a few years.

Pop culture DOES suck now, imo. It sucked decades ago, too. However, people seem more silly and self-absorbed today - and more disrespectful.

There's more cussing in song lyrics today than ever, it seems

But there have always been jerks in the world. I'm not calling posters names, just generalizing (which sometimes gets me in "trouble", but oh well...)

Old 09-30-2013, 09:15 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
The last year you truly enjoyed what? If you mean video games, it would be 2003 for me. If you mean professional wrestling, it would be 2001. If you mean mainstream music, abouit 2005. If you mean TV in general, the late 90s.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
What was the last year I truly enjoyed things? 1940.

Well, if feels like it. I wasn't even thought of in 1940 ...

Well, PhenomenalAJ, what do you have against "the elderly"? If you're fortunate enough, you may be elderly one day. Maybe you are - and resent it.

I'm just tired of "younger people" putting down anyone older than them - even if it's by a few years.

Pop culture DOES suck now, imo. It sucked decades ago, too. However, people seem more silly and self-absorbed today - and more disrespectful.

There's more cussing in song lyrics today than ever, it seems

But there have always been jerks in the world. I'm not calling posters names, just generalizing (which sometimes gets me in "trouble", but oh well...)
Not all elderly, just the ones who never shut up about how much more terrible things are now than compared to the "good old days" of segregation, world wars, women being subservient and everyone being religious. I'm not very old but when I am I don't think I'll lie to younger people and say crime was basically nonexistent and people were more honest. Like baby boomer people my parent's age talk about how disrespectful kids are now, yet crime was much higher in the 70s and 80s when they were young than now and that generation was far far more criminal. I just don't like dishonest nostalgia.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:59 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
To PhenomoAJ (sp?)

Back in the early 80s, a major paper featured several pages of deceased school-age children who were crime victims (usually gunshot). There were facts about them, what they were like, their hobbies, how they died, etc. There were A LOT of victims.

Crime stats were no joke in the 70s and 80s.

I remember urban crime stats - especially violent crime - in the late 70s had escalated astronomically It was ridiculous.

Some folks ignore the ugly facts of nostalgia because "ugly" is uncomfortable.
Most people like to focus on the positives of years gone by, I guess. It's a "feel-good" thing.

Like you, I won't sugar-coat "the old days", either. In many ways, "the good old days weren't so good".

But I still think that most music and entertainment was better back then. :-)

Old 10-05-2013, 10:31 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
Late 2007....I don't expect any improvement until 2017.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:55 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
If popular culture is determining how much you enjoy entire years, maybe you're focussing on it too much...
My thoughts exactly. There is no year that stands out more than any other. I've always found some things I don't like and some things I do like every year. I don't listen to mainstream radio anymore since I got satellite radio. I find new covers of songs I love and discover other songs I didn't know existed. There is lots of good music out there, you just have to search for it. There are lots of good movies out there, you just have to search for them. There are lots of good tv shows, you just have to search for them. See the pattern? If you just sit back and let them force feed you the stuff they want you to see, yes you are likely to just experience terrible entertainment. If you put some effort in, you can find really good stuff.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:55 AM

191 posts, read 262,534 times
I had fun once, it was horrible.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-10-2013, 11:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
What was the last year you truly enjoyed things?

Not a negative nancy, can't answer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts