Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 03:56 PM

939 posts, read 787,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No waiting to download, register, etc.
Portability
Permanence -- actual or perceived...

Actual or perceived...I love it! Never thought of it that way, kind of scary if one doesn't have 2-3 backups (each stored in different locations) of any important data.

My only media is CD's and DVDs.

For the most part, I like to physically hold those and see the actual packaging and liner notes etc. that the artist created, and then be able to shelf and view them in an actual library setting...bookcases etc.

The real reason, however, is I want to be able to hear and/or hear/see in the actual quality that was intended, not download it in a compressed form of another's choosing.

The first 20-30% of my music files were sadly imported in the .Mp3 format, the subsequent ones are HQ .WAV files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
...In other words, you "experience" it for free, at the expense of the artist.
You do have a valid point OG81, I certainly wouldn't want that to happen to any of my projects either, but what can we do?

Beside the fact that the audio from YouTube files are inferior, the only reason I ever download from YouTube is to get a version of a song that may never be legally released...aCapella, instrumental, stereo/mono, or alternate versions of a hit song that can't or won't ever be legally released for me to purchase.

There is a good sized market for all of the above, and yet...

Speaking of libraries again, how about all the books (people never mention them), CD's, and DVDs they loan out for free, stripping authors and artists of royalties as well?

Anyone ever purchase a book, paperback or otherwise, and then loan it out to family and friends...kind of the "Old School" version of illegal downloading.

Unintentionally paraphrased:

"I have over 10,000 books in my collection, but not a single bookcase...it seems they never want to lend you one of those" - Anonymous

Tough argument, I surely wouldn't want to have to be the one to officially sort it out.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:07 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,890 times
Sometimes. I might buy a few CDs a year. Same with books. I rarely buy DVDs, maybe not even once a year.

I prefer to buy picture book (coffee table books) especially. A digital copy of that does not do such a book justice.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:24 PM

939 posts, read 787,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Permanency. What you buy in physical form is more durable if you ask me. We still have a VCR that we can watch tapes on. You do realize your digital media's lifespan is only as long as the devices it can be saved to, don't you? If you don't migrate or upgrade whatever you have saved goes bye bye when you can't access it. There will always be VCRs, DVD players. There are even still record players and 8 track machines if you know where to look for them. Heck there are antique Victrolas.

CD/DVD discs are not permanent either.

There was a lot of false info spread when CD's first hit the market stating unlike vinyl, you can put your fingers all over them.

Heck, there was a guy at work showing them off to a bunch of us when they first came out and he actually tossed it up in the air and let it fall on a dirt road (data side down) and boasted that couldn't be done with an album!

Nothing lasts forever, including CD's DVDs as they are susceptible to rot, DVDs more than CD's .

As far as videotape goes, if you check the backside of the sticker labels that came with videotapes it states they must be fully rewound, making sure it's vertically stored with the reel holding the tape at the bottom (I could never figure why it has to be on the bottom!). They should never be stored flat however, as gravity is not their friend.

The important rule on those instructions though is to periodically play, FF or rewind the tape to the other side.

I'll bet lots of us never did the above rules and yet the tapes were fine w/o any new(?) dropouts since the last viewing, yet...

Me personally, I only do the rewind rule with irreplaceable stuff.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:31 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Permanency. What you buy in physical form is more durable if you ask me. We still have a VCR that we can watch tapes on. You do realize your digital media's lifespan is only as long as the devices it can be saved to, don't you? If you don't migrate or upgrade whatever you have saved goes bye bye when you can't access it. There will always be VCRs, DVD players. There are even still record players and 8 track machines if you know where to look for them. Heck there are antique Victrolas.
You really think there is more permanency with a physical video tape than encoded 1s and 0s stored these days on a personal device, backed up to an external hard drive, and backed up in the cloud? Easily transferred to whatever new format/device comes out?

Old 05-06-2017, 06:08 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I like the physical feel of a book, and I don't like the hassle of renting DVD's. However the MAIN reason I buy books is because I don't want bookstores to go out of business because I enjoy browsing in bookstores and seeing what's new, and that is easier to do when one doesn't know what one is actually looking for.

Also, I am a "traditionalist" and not ashamed to be!
More power to ya!

Old 05-12-2017, 10:49 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
No to music or film.

Yes to books.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
This is more of a poll, and it isn't intended as a criticsm--rather I'm curious whether you're still buying discs (Music, Video Games, Movies) and if so why you are.

For me with all the streaming available for Anime, Music, and services like NEtflix for films, I just find it hard to justify the physical clutter caused by owning discs anymore. Furthermore, I just have a philosophical outlook on life in which "owning" stuff is overrated, I prefer experiencing stuff. For example, I can "experience" a hit song any time and as often as I want because of YouTube. I don't have to "own" the song.....

I do own one Anime Series, a few hip-hop CDs from the 1990s, and the Batman Trilogy (will add Fast & Furious collection soon) but that's only because those for me have unlimited replayability.

For those of you who are still buying how do you approach your physical purchases?
A, B, and C

A: It's only out there as long as someone who is a TPTB believes it is worth it to keep it on their servers. When they decide it is not, then it goes away whether you like it or not.

B: It's only out there in the version that they like. Take the movie "Flash Gordon", for instance. One of the copies I got, I think it was the tape, cut out the Dale Arden gymnastics scene with the guard; I felt CHEATED when I found out that I had been sold a version that had been so snipped.

Given either A or B, I want it in my hot little hand so such does not happen to me.

C: Living in the country now, streaming would be atrociously expensive; it is far easier to have a personal library.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:48 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,411 times
Interesting article.

Quote:
Over the past few years, analog goods including physical books, board games and, of course, vinyl records have experienced a surprising resurgence — despite the fact that these technologies are functionally obsolete. How could this be happening?

Across the board, consumers who weren’t even around when these technologies first lost their prominence are driving their resurgence. How can a 15-year-old be nostalgic for a turntable, when her parents never owned one in the first place?

The invention of processed bread in the early 20th century was heralded at the time as a great technological leap. Suddenly, bread was cheaper, more plentiful and had a longer shelf life, making it more accessible to more people, which had a significant impact on hunger and the food supply. But soon enough, consumers were nostalgic for the slow fermented sourdoughs that no longer were available, and it was bakers like Silverton who brought them back to the mass market.

To the millions of consumers worldwide who have resurrected the record industry over the past few years, I suspect the feeling is mutual. To us, the return of vinyl — even as we listen to streaming services on the drive to work — represents not regression, but progress.
L.A. Times: Why is vinyl making a comeback? ‘Nostalgia’ doesn’t quite cut it

Old 06-05-2017, 01:39 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,681 times
Yes i still buy blu rays. I have a 3D tv so I only buy 3D movies

Old 06-07-2017, 06:33 AM

111 posts, read 90,897 times
I'm a physical person, needing the actual item in my hands. I purchased some iTunes music for my android phone but the actual CDs are much better. Add the aspect of privacy invasion taken to the next extreme it makes listening to my music on my stereo system that much more satisfying knowing that the government can't monitor my music choices. I am distancing myself ever more carefully from the internet with things like that. There is something unsettling about a government agent obsessed with what songs I listened to on a certain day and what time I unlocked my car door with the remote control key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts