Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 01:17 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You still have to physically sort through them to get to what you want. Which increases the risk for scratches. Which will cause them to "go down".
Keeping CDs and DVDs in their original cases — not "envelopes" — virtually eliminates that risk. I keep a can of Dust Destroyer handy to blow the dust off 'em, too.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:21 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Keeping CDs and DVDs in their original cases — not "envelopes" — virtually eliminates that risk. I keep a can of Dust Destroyer handy to blow the dust off 'em, too.
I was referring to the poster who keeps their DVDs stacked in spindles and has to sort through them to find a specific disk.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 07-28-2017, 01:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
After donating thousands of books over the years I got tired of it. Now the library delivers books to my reader. And I don't have to pay late fees and I can't lose a book. Best of all, it's free! I don't have to dust them and I have reclaimed a lot of storage space in my house. I have backup cloud storage for books I buy that I want to keep.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:15 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,365,874 times
Quote:
I was referring to the poster who keeps their DVDs stacked in spindles and has to sort through them to find a specific disk.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
You may not know it but the hub is thicker than the recorded surface. When I go through them I do not slide them like a deck of cards but flip through them instead.

Since they're 80% +/- used some are scratched already. The bad ones can be refaced and work again.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
You may not know it but the hub is thicker than the recorded surface. When I go through them I do not slide them like a deck of cards but flip through them instead.

Since they're 80% +/- used some are scratched already. The bad ones can be refaced and work again.
Glad it works for you. I have zero interest in stacks and stacks of disks. Very inefficient (and unattractive) storage method, IMO. YMMV (and clearly does).

Old 07-28-2017, 02:46 PM

Well, you're not me and I'm glad I'm not you.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:56 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,140 times
Quote:
Save
Yes, I know.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Well, you're not me and I'm glad I'm not you.
No need to be rude.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 07-28-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I have zero interest in stacks and stacks of disks. Very inefficient (and unattractive) storage method, IMO. YMMV (and clearly does).
I said it because of what you said here. You are shunning history just because you don't use it any more. You don't speak for me.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:36 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
This is more of a poll, and it isn't intended as a criticsm--rather I'm curious whether you're still buying discs (Music, Video Games, Movies) and if so why you are.

For me with all the streaming available for Anime, Music, and services like NEtflix for films, I just find it hard to justify the physical clutter caused by owning discs anymore. Furthermore, I just have a philosophical outlook on life in which "owning" stuff is overrated, I prefer experiencing stuff. For example, I can "experience" a hit song any time and as often as I want because of YouTube. I don't have to "own" the song.....

I do own one Anime Series, a few hip-hop CDs from the 1990s, and the Batman Trilogy (will add Fast & Furious collection soon) but that's only because those for me have unlimited replayability.

For those of you who are still buying how do you approach your physical purchases?

Most of what I like tends to be older, so I can usually find it at thrifts stores or specialty websites. CDs I wanted as a teenager but couldn't afford - now $3 at Goodwill! Same with vinyl and DVD. I do not trust keeping all my media(including books) in the "Cloud", and streamed video or audio is not of same quality as physical media. I also rip my Amazon songs to CD-R(forgive me if I used the wrong term!).

The biggest - and dumbest - mistake I see folks doing is ripping their entire CD collection to iTunes and on their phones, and then selling or donating their collection! Or to a hard drive. What if the hard drive seizes up? Or the phone takes a dive into Lake Porcelain? lol Goodbye music collection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts