Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 08:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,283,779 times

Advertisements

Do you still buy physical media? Why?

Yes, DVD's and CD's because I enjoy having the control of when I watch (and listen to) them and how many times I watch (and listen to) them over and over again.

And the great thing about getting older is when I watch a DVD again it is sometimes like seeing it for the first time...or at the very least saying to myself, "huh, I don't remember seeing that part before".

Old 08-02-2018, 08:30 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,020,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Do you still buy physical media? Why?

Yes, DVD's and CD's because I enjoy having the control of when I watch (and listen to) them and how many times I watch (and listen to) them over and over again.

And the great thing about getting older is when I watch a DVD again it is sometimes like seeing it for the first time...or at the very least saying to myself, "huh, I don't remember seeing that part before".
A concept that even some 'Boomers don't comprehend, let alone most "Millen-ee-yoolz"! They've caught the streaming bug.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:39 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,035,161 times
Only books and plenty of them. No digital media can ever replace the feel of a good book. Besides, what if you want to read when the battery is dead?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:40 PM

12,299 posts, read 8,023,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I think with vinyl, I think part of the reason they went out of style had to do with some environmental issues, which is understandable.
They went out because unless you were a high end audiophile with every playing your vinyl became more degraded. When cassettes replaced reel to reel and 8-track the first thing many did was record a playing cassette to save the vinyl for special occasion playing. With that home recording came the mix tape which was better than a stack of singles on a record changer or getting up to move the needle.

And with the 12 in album's replacement the CD came along you had the ability to self select a play order as well as let the player choose random play to change up the order without the empty air left on the flip side of an album or cassette due to the time limitations of double sided media.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:07 PM

83 posts, read 72,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
You own nothing on Spotify or Vudu. You can create playlists of things, but you do not own it. You can own downloads, like stuff from Amazon or iTunes. I just feel more comfortable knowing I have CDs backing up most of my files.
You're correct that I don't own anything on Spotify but I do own movies and TV shows on Vudu. Vudu isn't like Netflix, you have to purchase the movies/TV shows or redeem a digital copy (or even "rent" it) to watch it. Aside from the occasional free with ads stuff they cycle in and out, which usually I don't use honestly.

But I do see your point on the music aspect. At least on Vudu even when movies or TV shows rights aren't available, you still keep the movie or TV show in your personal library and you still own it and watch it. But with Spotify, songs are randomly pulled sometimes, and then some songs/albums just outright aren't available (like Aaliyah's top songs -- but I know that's rights issues all together)

Old 08-03-2018, 04:03 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,357,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
They went out because unless you were a high end audiophile with every playing your vinyl became more degraded. When cassettes replaced reel to reel and 8-track the first thing many did was record a playing cassette to save the vinyl for special occasion playing. With that home recording came the mix tape which was better than a stack of singles on a record changer or getting up to move the needle.

And with the 12 in album's replacement the CD came along you had the ability to self select a play order as well as let the player choose random play to change up the order without the empty air left on the flip side of an album or cassette due to the time limitations of double sided media.
Nevertheless it was ingrained in our lives. Imagine you and your friend gathered around a record player taking turns playing their records, talking and laughing. Even slumber parties and sleepovers.

Kinda missed that.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
You're correct that I don't own anything on Spotify but I do own movies and TV shows on Vudu. Vudu isn't like Netflix, you have to purchase the movies/TV shows or redeem a digital copy (or even "rent" it) to watch it. Aside from the occasional free with ads stuff they cycle in and out, which usually I don't use honestly.

But I do see your point on the music aspect. At least on Vudu even when movies or TV shows rights aren't available, you still keep the movie or TV show in your personal library and you still own it and watch it. But with Spotify, songs are randomly pulled sometimes, and then some songs/albums just outright aren't available (like Aaliyah's top songs -- but I know that's rights issues all together)
Where is what you own on Vudu kept? In a cabinet or on a shelf with your other media? ...

Old 08-06-2018, 01:39 AM

23,533 posts, read 13,752,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
........ I am also seeing DVD prices increase over the last six months.

Well, that may e because the overstock market is dying. Here we go: //www.city-data.com/forum/enter...ve-my-hot.html

Looking over my Amazon orders for the past many years, I see that I really need to be watching my library (if only from the stand point of taking in a movie a day may be necessary to maintain one's sanity). If you don't have physical reminders, how do you know what to watch?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 08-06-2018 at 01:55 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 06:44 AM

16,361 posts, read 12,347,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Looking over my Amazon orders for the past many years, I see that I really need to be watching my library (if only from the stand point of taking in a movie a day may be necessary to maintain one's sanity). If you don't have physical reminders, how do you know what to watch?
Seeing the cases on your shelf isn't a whole lot different than seeing the thumbnails on my screen. If anything, it's easier on the screen because while you're probably looking at the spines, I'm looking at the covers.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Seeing the cases on your shelf isn't a whole lot different than seeing the thumbnails on my screen. If anything, it's easier on the screen because while you're probably looking at the spines, I'm looking at the covers.
Yes, but Amazon can't delete those cases from your shelf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts