Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2019, 05:49 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
I love my Fire 8 tablet. As I lay down for the night I'd
grab my tablet and browse the net, play music or watch movies/TV.

Or even play games.
Good for you. Some of us still like to perform those activities in the normal way - on a big screen or desktop monitor. BTW by big screen I mean any dedicated actual television, any size, 20" to 60".

Old 12-10-2019, 06:21 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,407 times
So you're saying I'm abnormal?

Old 12-10-2019, 06:38 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Good for you. Some of us still like to perform those activities in the normal way - on a big screen or desktop monitor. BTW by big screen I mean any dedicated actual television, any size, 20" to 60".
I'd consider anything down to 13" normal sized but I find 30" to 40" to be my sweet spot for watching video.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I'd consider anything down to 13" normal sized but I find
30" to 40" to be my sweet spot for watching video.
Sound normal to me, lol!

This trend of watching everything in one's hand is going to be the optometrist's $booty!

Old 12-10-2019, 07:01 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Sound normal to me, lol!

This trend of watching everything in one's hand is going to be the optometrist's $booty!
I don't ever watch video on my smart phone but my presumption is that details of the video are going to be hard to notice on those micro-screens.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I don't ever watch video on my smart phone but my
presumption is that details of the video are going to be
hard to notice on those micro-screens.
I think it's mainly the under-thirty crowd that consumes most video - at home and away - in this fashion.

It's there, right in in their pocket. No need to wait until home to turn on the smart TV, no driving to a crowded cinema parking lot, shuffling through a dimly lit auditorium, not knowing if there's a suprise waiting on their seat cushion, lmao! With their phone: Even if it's a pay service like Netflix, they can just pause whatever they're watching, take their turn on a zip-line ride, then resume what they were watching once they leave the landing pad at the end of their run. When their parents hand them down their older but still functioning LCD flat screen, they just donate it to Goodwill.

21st century media consumption!

Old 12-10-2019, 07:40 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,407 times
My Android phone and my PC monitors are both IPS and have 1920x1080 resolution. Very good details in videos.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:40 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
LOL!

But that's the latest dying segment: TVs, of any size or type. Right now in my second hand store we have TEN flat screen TVs for sale, ranging in size from 20" to 50" diagonal. 3 of them are only a couple years old. Right on the shelf above the dozen or so computer printers, all less than five years old.

I guess it's just easier for many folks to stream everything from the morning and evening news to sports & movies on their phones or tablets, even on their own couch? I don't get it.
Well, as far as printers go, personally, need them. Printing out temporary IDs (and putting that stuff on the smart phone is a security risk), copying my IRS paperwork, printing out the pics for my diaries.

And TVs? Well, that is disappointing.......considering how I asked down in the technology forum about getting another TV (but asking to see if it can function since I don't link into anything outside the house).

Besides, I can't watch it on the small screen......I need my hands to pet the cats!

Old 12-10-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, as far as printers go, personally, need them. Printing out temporary IDs (and putting that stuff on the smart phone is a security risk), copying my IRS paperwork, printing out the pics for my diaries.

And TVs? Well, that is disappointing.......considering how I asked down in the technology forum about getting another TV (but asking to see if it can function since I don't link into anything outside the house).

Besides, I can't watch it on the small screen......I need my hands to pet the cats!
"but asking to see if it can function since I don't link into anything outside the house)."

?? You mean like, something to feed signal to it?

Sure! If you don't subscribe to anything(cable, satellite, internet), you can still hook up an antenna to it and pick up digital broadcasts over the air.

I'd estimate between 80-90% of Americans still do not know this, thanks to aggressive advertising campaignns(disguised as warnings about the end of analog broadcasting) by cable and satellite providers back in 2009. Apparently those ads misled the public into believing that all over the air broadcast was ending, and so the majority of folks never even considered the thought of using a rooftop antenna, even if they still had one in decent shape up rooftop! I knew, and purchased a small antenna around the time of the transition to diigital broadcssting. I did my research.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:57 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
LOL!

But that's the latest dying segment: TVs, of any size or type. Right now in my second hand store we have TEN flat screen TVs for sale, ranging in size from 20" to 50" diagonal. 3 of them are only a couple years old. Right on the shelf above the dozen or so computer printers, all less than five years old.

I guess it's just easier for many folks to stream everything from the morning and evening news to sports & movies on their phones or tablets, even on their own couch? I don't get it.
How do you know those TVs in the store are being replaced with phones and tablets? I'd put money on them being replaced with upgraded TVs. Larger, higher res, smart, etc. Same with printers. Technology is quickly replaced and upgraded these days.

I don't know ANYONE who is giving up their full sized TVs to only watch on phones and tablets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts