Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times

Advertisements

I agree. I used to be a season ticket holder to a couple of theater companies, but due to travel schedule and rising costs I dropped them about 10 years ago. In the last few years I've looked at going to a few shows and tickets were WAY to high.

As for concerts...I haven't seen a stadium show in 20 years, they have really jacked the prices up...While raining - Pink Floyd at Rice Stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Yes I agree it's gotten ridiculous. I'm a total music freak, but I don't go to concerts anymore as the prices are just pure insanity.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
There aren't many real good acts anymore. I want to see a few most are older bands who have priced themselves out for a ticket like Metallica.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:56 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,472 times
It's really a shame...I was 18 in the mid 80's and saw many, many concerts...and never paid that much for them (hell, I could AFFORD to). My daughter is now 18 and has seen 2 concerts, both on tickets I bought her, and I will only go up to $100 per seat (it was a birthday present). So a lot of the "big" acts, she does not see. She has a part time job, but she's have to save for a long time to afford any of the big shows.

So I guess my question is... the big pop acts, the Lady Gaga, Beyonce or whatever...who the heck is buying their kids tickets, and are they raiding the college fund to do it??

Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
It's really a shame...I was 18 in the mid 80's and saw many, many concerts...and never paid that much for them (hell, I could AFFORD to). My daughter is now 18 and has seen 2 concerts, both on tickets I bought her, and I will only go up to $100 per seat (it was a birthday present). So a lot of the "big" acts, she does not see. She has a part time job, but she's have to save for a long time to afford any of the big shows.

So I guess my question is... the big pop acts, the Lady Gaga, Beyonce or whatever...who the heck is buying their kids tickets, and are they raiding the college fund to do it??
We are similar in age, I saw many shows in the early/mid 80s, then I moved away from 'main venues'. When I started to go again in the late 90s/2000 I thought prices had really jumped. Also I decided to only see shows in small venues for a better experience. I would pay a high price to see bands in a club or ballroom.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:15 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
Yeah, we've been to some theater shows here and I don't remember balking at the ticket cost. This summer Book of Mormon is coming to town and we were all ready to see it until we saw the cheapest price in the back of the balcony was $100. Factor in fees, parking, and probably dinner and we'd be spending close to $250 for me and my wife to see this show. Needless to say, we aren't going. On the opposite end of the spectrum we saw No Doubt in what was a surprisingly enjoyable concert a few years for just $10 for general admission lawn tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I got all excited when the Beach Boys came through here recently, then I saw the ticket prices...$350 for a good seat. Not a chance.
That's funny. I saw them for free at our county fair about 10 years ago. They're coming through here doing 3 shows one weekend this summer and I think it's only $29 per ticket for any seat (this particular venue is all general admission lawn seats). The Beach Boys are good but nowhere near worth $350.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,431 times
I find that I am far more selective about who and what I will go see these days. In the past I have paid a lot to see bands or artists I loved, but as an adult I find it harder to part with my hard earned money on things like concerts and shows.

This is what I have paid in the past to see shows:

Madonna $250

Depeche Mode $175 and $90

The Cure $90

Sting $45

Tor Amos $35 both times I saw her

U2 $35

No Doubt $15

The Red Elvises $15 (4x)

Grease $40

La Traviata $30

Annie $25

Kathy Griffin $40

I love concerts and musicals, but I can't afford the prices these days. La Traviata came through recently and the tickets were $100. When Grease and Chicago came through a few years back I remember tickets costing $100 and up. Fortunately the Red Elvises play in venues I can afford to see them. They are an incredible band that makes the shows accessible for their fans. I'll keep seeing them. They are worth it.

That is why I prefer festivals now where I can see multiple bands for one low price.

Last edited by FluidFreedom; 03-21-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 08:56 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,431 times
My father was telling me he saw the Beatles in Mexico. He paid a whopping $8. I think my mother said she paid $10 to see Elvis.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:25 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,154 times
I'm looking into some concert tickets now for a small birthday party and we're looking at $229 a piece...and no where close to good seats! I remember back when $50-75 got you stage side. Sporting tickets isn't any better, I'm not even going to disclose how much we spent on Maverick vs Thunders Tickets for our son's birthday.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:47 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,292 times
I actually prefer the nosebleeds. I found that out when I paid out the nose for good seats to Adele in 2011. I only bought those seats because they were some of the only ones left. (I guess a lot of people thought a debut artist like Adele was good enough, but not good enough to pay the good seats?)

I won't go into what happened. It irritates me to retell the story. But bottom line.... rudest, most pretentious, most self-absorbed people I've ever shared a row with at a concert in my life, ever.

You can tell by how they were treating the people around them, that they were very entitled. The cost of the tickets was probably chump change to them.... thought nothing of being disruptive in various ways. Arriving during her entrance (and distracting the rest of us).... distracting with their cell phones..... etc.

And truth be told? Adele is an amazing vocalist. She's no joke. Live, she sounds just like her CD.
But she just stands there. Not a performer, persay. Once is enough for Adele. I prefer to see artists who really put on a show with their stage presence, the scenery, how they work the stage, etc. I'd rather see a lesser vocalist who can put on a show.

Or, once in a blue moon you get BOTH (case in point: Christina Aguilera, she is honestly excellent. Saw her Back To Basics tour a while back).

Last edited by MSPLove; 03-22-2014 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts