Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:56 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,027 times

Advertisements

This is one of the pet peeves I have. When someone announces he is a hardcore gamer a lot of times people will think he is a sad pathetic loser who is wasting away his life. Or that the gamer should quit his hobby and do more important things. Look at the today show and what they had to say about adult gamers:
Today Show Thinks Adult Gamers Are Weird - News - www.GameInformer.com
But then look at a film buff. When someone announces he is a film buff it is a lot more positive image than a hard core gamer? Why is that? If I were to watch a ton of movies people will think that's ok or that watching a ton of movies is socially accepted. How come? None thinks Roger Ebert or Jean Siskel are immature for watching film or movies of enjoying any of that. So why does gaming and being a hard core gamer have this stigma?

I'm posting this here to get a wide variety of answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
My answer is that I think the same of anyone who spends any great amount of free time in front of a screen the same, whether it be TV, movie, or gaming.

It is also none of my business how you spend your free time, so outside of not dating you, it is meaningless to me. You should not care, either. Just find some like-minded people.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,287 times
It must be due to many people being deluded into thinking a FPS on a video console is gaming. Everyone knows only MMO's on a PC are games.

(note above is humor, please only friendly fire)

Old 04-18-2014, 08:44 PM

579 posts, read 761,673 times
OP has a slight point. There is an old fashioned stigma with games that dates back to before the graphics and more importantly story lines evolved. Some modern games are so accurate and detailed that it feels like watching a CGI documentary.

But the average gamer is still represented by guy playing online multiplayer screaming obscenities at teenagers. The equivalent of someone stating they are a Hollywood film buff. Hollywood releases a-lot of crap, just like there are still a-lot of crap games.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:20 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Seems obvious. Some films have a connection to our psyche, move us emotionally, teach us about life and are more than entertainment.(A book, fiction or nonfiction, can have a similar effect) Whereas gaming is merely a form of recreation blasting zombies, shooting people, etc.

But it really depends on how the buff presents himself to the listener that determines whether or not they are a positive or negative reflection on their hobby.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
But the average gamer is still represented by guy playing online multiplayer screaming obscenities at teenagers. The equivalent of someone stating they are a Hollywood film buff. Hollywood releases a-lot of crap, just like there are still a-lot of crap games.
This is a major point.
Movies are total crap now.
So how can you take pride in being a "buff" anymore than a GTAV fanatic?

Though I do like the GTA franchise.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:01 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
OP has a slight point. There is an old fashioned stigma with games that dates back to before the graphics and more importantly story lines evolved. Some modern games are so accurate and detailed that it feels like watching a CGI documentary.
I guess it has to do with the stigma that games are toys for children. The adults who often see games that way will think that games are bad or "waste of time". But movies and books arnt.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:19 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Interesting question. I'll take a whack at it, but I'll preface it by saying I'm a serious movie person who has never played any game involving a computer/internet, unless you count something like Minesweeper.

First, I think gamers are considered as likely to be more inherently anti-social or non-social. Movie people are more likely to go to movies with someone else, plus which traditionally, movies are seen in theaters, where you have the classic communal experience.

Second, although I know that games actually get reviewed, they're not at the point where they're considered art in any way.

Third, my impression of games (without having experienced them, as I said!) is that they don't generally require much from you emotionally or intellectually, and are unlikely to be a broader learning experience. Have you ever had a game move you to tears, for instance?

Fourth, they are inextricably linked in the public mind with violence.

Does any of that sound reasonable to you?

Old 04-20-2014, 03:50 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
When someone announces he is a hardcore gamer a lot of times people will think he is a sad pathetic loser who is wasting away his life. Or that the gamer should quit his hobby and do more important things.
Frankly, gamers have themselves to blame for that image. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that most people know a gamer who is wasting away their life. Many of them can spend literally hours at a time blocking out everything in the world, even to the neglect of their responsibilities. Wrong or right, society's general view of video gamers is young, immature, irresponsible, lazy, with no direction in life.

Then you read stories like this: Florida man Cody Wygant allegedly suffocated 16-month-old son so he could play video games - CBS News

Typically, film buffs don't carry the same stigma. They watch a movie, then they move on with life. You don't very often hear of someone watching movies to such excess that they can't hold down a job or take care of their family.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:02 AM

579 posts, read 761,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Interesting question. I'll take a whack at it, but I'll preface it by saying I'm a serious movie person who has never played any game involving a computer/internet, unless you count something like Minesweeper.

First, I think gamers are considered as likely to be more inherently anti-social or non-social. Movie people are more likely to go to movies with someone else, plus which traditionally, movies are seen in theaters, where you have the classic communal experience.

Second, although I know that games actually get reviewed, they're not at the point where they're considered art in any way.

Third, my impression of games (without having experienced them, as I said!) is that they don't generally require much from you emotionally or intellectually, and are unlikely to be a broader learning experience. Have you ever had a game move you to tears, for instance?

Fourth, they are inextricably linked in the public mind with violence.

Does any of that sound reasonable to you?
I think this view is a little outdated

1st: Most people play online multiplayer games now. So you are playing against another human, if not against/with a real life friend

2nd: It's vastly changed in the past 15 years. You'd have a hard time telling the difference between some games and films like Avatar.

3rd: This has also changed with expanding genres. For example strategy and real time based games. But you are correct, many games still rely on instincts/quick finger punching. I'll also note that with the evolution of role playing games, people are actually more connected to their character in the game than someone in a film they are sharing only 1.5 hours with. After endless hours, days and even years (World of Warcraft) spent on one single character, it becomes almost like a child

4th: Hollywood is quite violent and also brainless violence may I add

But you raise some valid points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts