Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:47 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,381 times

Advertisements

Personally, I have been a fan of Andy Kaufman for 20 years, since they began airing Taxi reruns on Nick At Nite. Shortly after that, they aired a special called "I`m From Hollywood" on Comedy Central and I never looked back.

I have never believed he is still alive. I used to get annoyed with the people who think so, too. hahaha But, at this point, I am of the belief his family is definitely in on it.

Go to YouTube and type in "Andy Kaufman Michael." There is video of Andy`s younger brother Michael on CNN talking about a young woman who got onstage at last November`s Andy Kaufman Award ceremony, claiming to be his daughter.

Furthermore, Michael claims to have been told to be at a certain restaurant at a certain time in 1999, and he was. It was there that he was given a letter, allegedly written by Andy, stating that he was alive and had a family.

If there were any doubt by any family, they would be demanding a DNA test of this young woman...at this point, even an exhumation of the body. They feel no need to do any of that. Hmmm, interesting. I guess it never even occurred to Michael Kaufman to try and trace the origins of this letter.

I don`t think the family is doing this in a mean-spirited way. It is all being done in the spirit of Andy. Michael invited that young woman onstage. He had to have hired her. Because why would he let some random woman onstage with this story without demanding a DNA test first?

Then I realized.....here I am, claiming to not be fooled by it.... and yet I am typing out a thread about it here and I have spoken to family and friends about it, nonetheless. They got me...even if I don`t believe it. It worked. The point is to keep his spirit alive. I will bet that Andy is laughing at what his brother is doing from other side.

A lot of people think that Andy left specific people these specific instructions of what to do before he died to keep the hoax going.

I just don`t think so. I think it is possible, but not likely. He made a passing comment once, "Oh wouldn`t it be fun to fake my own death and come back in 20 years?" And then shortly after, he got sick. So people have taken that coincidence and have run with it.

People like to make the argument that he didn`t smoke, but uh...yeah he did. When he played Tony Clifton he did, not to mention all the heavy second-hand smoke from the comedy clubs that he was exposed to.
(He died of a rare lung cancer.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,396,512 times
I saw Andy Kaufman, the other day...He was with Elvis, Sam Kenison and John Lennon doing some shots at a local bar.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:27 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
My take would be: Who cares?

I mean, it's not as if it's like people believing that Hitler was still alive. He was a minor comic with a short career.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 PM

He was far more appreciated in death. Some people are too far ahead of their time. He knew he was. He said so in an interview...gotta love that modesty.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:10 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
My take would be: Who cares?
I'll go with this. His self-image greatly exceeded his talent, popularity and influence.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
I can understand it because he was basically a wrestler in the way he did things but I don't see him being alive sadly.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'll go with this. His self-image greatly exceeded his talent, popularity and influence.
Talent is debatable. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, if you don't agree he was talented.

But to imply he is not popular or extremely influencial to the comics that followed is just not true.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:05 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Odd, we had a similar thread late last year:

//www.city-data.com/forum/celeb...man-alive.html

Anyway, I believe he is still dead.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:20 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
He was entertaining that's all but then sometimes he wasn't. Heck some people think Michael Jackson is still alive. The list goes on and on. Dreamers all.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:53 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Kaufman was a genius.

Did he fake his own death to live out a life in obscurity? I doubt it, but I honestly don't care all that much. If so, I wish him well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts