Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 06:15 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Wow. Quite an upbringing. May I suggest therapy?

It seems to me that the problem is inflexible you, not the other person. Of course, I say that as I sit in my recliner (not sitting up straight and my feet certainly aren't on the floor), with my laptop in front of me while watching TV. And yes, I know what's going on on the TV.
this

If it were me, i'd ask myself why I care so much what other people do while they're watching a movie. Bottom line, they can do whatever they want to do (as long as they're not hurting others or themselves, of course). I'd be looking at why I have to have everything my way in order to be ok while some random movie is being played on the dvd. And looking at solutions/processes I can use to "get ok" and be comfortable with the FACT that people are allowed to stare at the tv sitting up straight with both feet on the floor, or watch while kicked back in the recliner playing with a child, or sitting there painting their nails, or eating a sandwich and reading the newspaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 06:17 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
I can manage to do hundreds of things wwhile watching a movie. However if im doing other things im not actually watching the movie. Im just doing hundreds of things while a movie is playing.

One of the people here just asked if she could watch The Conjuring so I put it in. Whats she been doing the entire time its been on? Chatting with her friends on facebook via her phone. I dont call that watching a movie.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
this

If it were me, i'd ask myself why I care so much what other people do while they're watching a movie. Bottom line, they can do whatever they want to do (as long as they're not hurting others or themselves, of course). I'd be looking at why I have to have everything my way in order to be ok while some random movie is being played on the dvd. And looking at solutions/processes I can use to "get ok" and be comfortable with the FACT that people are allowed to stare at the tv sitting up straight with both feet on the floor, or watch while kicked back in the recliner playing with a child, or sitting there painting their nails, or eating a sandwich and reading the newspaper.
Because i was nice enough in several instances to let others watch what they want instead of putting in one of several movies or shows i still havent seen. Id like to watch tv as well but im being nice. So since im being nice and letting you watch what you want on our only tv then at least pay attention to it. If you dont want to watch the show then let me put in what i want; when you feel like actually watching the screen then we'll talk.

It may be called multitasking now but when i was growing up it was called not being attentive.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:26 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I can manage to do hundreds of things wwhile watching a movie. However if im doing other things im not actually watching the movie. Im just doing hundreds of things while a movie is playing.
That sounds like a personal problem, and not one shared by everyone.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That sounds like a personal problem, and not one shared by everyone.
Doesnt mean its not shared by someone.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Doesnt mean its not shared by someone.
Obviously the people doing it don't have a problem. They are enjoying watching something while multitasking, no matter how many times you say they can't. Obviously they can.

Either grow a pair and insist on watching something you want to watch, or get over it. You cannot control whether or not they will be doing something while watching a movie.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:45 AM

238 posts, read 227,392 times
Quote:
Because i was nice enough in several instances to let others watch what they want instead of putting in one of several movies or shows i still havent seen. Id like to watch tv as well but im being nice. So since im being nice and letting you watch what you want on our only tv then at least pay attention to it. If you dont want to watch the show then let me put in what i want; when you feel like actually watching the screen then we'll talk.

It may be called multitasking now but when i was growing up it was called not being attentive.

Since you are the one who has a problem with it, and you know the others in your house will be multitasking don't be so "nice" next time and say I'm going to watch Hacker High if you want to join me rather than do you want to watch a movie, you choose. You are choosing to put yourself in the self-sacrificing martyr roll since you know exactly what they do and choose to "be nice" anyways.

BTW, it's not being nice to let them choose then criticizing how they watch, that's passive aggressive bs because you know how they "watch" tv. We don't live in the *whatever era you grew up in* any more. Nobody I know sits with back straight and feet on the floor to watch a movie and never did, and I'm in my 50s.

And just so we're clear, being nice would be allowing others to be who they are without needing to change them. Just my 2cents.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddiva View Post
Since you are the one who has a problem with it, and you know the others in your house will be multitasking don't be so "nice" next time and say I'm going to watch Hacker High if you want to join me rather than do you want to watch a movie, you choose. You are choosing to put yourself in the self-sacrificing martyr roll since you know exactly what they do and choose to "be nice" anyways.

BTW, it's not being nice to let them choose then criticizing how they watch, that's passive aggressive bs because you know how they "watch" tv. We don't live in the *whatever era you grew up in* any more. Nobody I know sits with back straight and feet on the floor to watch a movie and never did, and I'm in my 50s.

And just so we're clear, being nice would be allowing others to be who they are without needing to change them. Just my 2cents.
Well then i guess im passive aggressive (and see absolutely nothing wrong with it). I mean to me its just being respectful. If theres only one tv in the house and everyone forfeits their choice of what to watch to let you choose and all you do is play on your phone or something then thats just wrong. My thought is "hey if i gave up what i wanted to watch to you watch something then at least watch the thing; dont just sit there staring at your phone for 2 hours. Theres other people here that would love to watch something". But then you cant say that because then they cry and whine about how they never get to watch tv or they give the whole "im multitasking!" excuse. To me unless youre watching and listening then youre not taking in the entire movie but rather randomly chosen parts of it.

Now, if youve got multiple TVs in your home or you live alone then thats the exception. Do what you want in that case.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:27 PM

Either insist on watching what you want to watch, or get another TV. QUIT WHINING ABOUT IT. You can't control anyone else's behavior. If you asked what they want to watch, that was your mistake. What they do while watching the movie is completely irrelevant.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:25 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
I get what you're saying. These ppl are just giving you a hard time. You're not REALLY watching a movie if you're multitasking. I use my iPad during commercials and if I'm not done with it by the time show comes back on, I'll pause the TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts