Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:07 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Well, that's odd. Are you somehow implying that interracial relationships are immoral?? Racism is immoral! (And, actually, I see a lot of racism on TV nowadays. Pretty sad.)
First of all, why did you edit my post in your quote when I clearly prefaced my comment with the following; (emphasis added by bolding now)

"Another show that has about every single social taboo/degradation in it is Ray Donovan"

So clearly I did not say immoral, and gave two examples of what all those things I listed could come under.

I am not sure why you pulled interracial sex out of the whole list of other things I put down regarding the only episode of Ray Donovan, but I'd like to know why

As to racism being immoral, that is something we can agree on. Then again, to many people homosexuality is immoral, yet it was intentionally put into TV shows by homosexual producers to subliminally desensitize the viewing audience. So my comparative example using another immoral action that would be seized upon shows the proclivity of liberal Hollywood to overlook what a majority would consider immoral, yet they would ruin someone if the producer did the same thing with something they did feel was immoral. Do you now see my point?

Also, do you have a few examples of what you define as "a lot of racism on TV nowadays"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 03:44 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
All I am saying is give the Hallmark Channel a chance!

Old 10-12-2014, 03:53 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I do agree that the "anti-hero", such as Bryan Cranston's character in Breaking Bad or Tony Soprano has become somebody to be admired rather than admonished. And I do believe this does indeed have a deleterious impact on society -- when you make it fashionable to behave in a certain manner, the herd follows.

Not what we need right now, is it?
That's a point. It spills over to sit coms as well, were every character is inane, greedy, and narcissistic. At least with "Seinfeld," Seinfeld himself stipulated that was the point of the program, that their own attitudes were the sources of their continued unhappiness...but I suspect much of the audience didn't realize it. I know that was the case with a concurrent sitcom with a similar concept, "Girlfriends." People didn't realize, "They're unhappy because they're jerks."

"Dexter?" "Hannibal?" These are evil characters, not heroes.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
But that also illustrates another point, another question. If the people using DVR's (I assume you mean one with a hard drive and not one that uses DVD's), then what they doing when the show is being recorded with its commercials?
Fast forward through them.

I just noticed in my new service that the "Next" button on the remote instantly clicks to some "marker" on the recording that mostly coincides with the ends of commercials. So I just hit the "Next" button to click from one to the other, three or four clicks back to the program.

Now and then, a commercial catches my eye, but it's got to do it within a split second or I'm gone.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:58 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's a point. It spills over to sit coms as well, were every character is inane, greedy, and narcissistic. At least with "Seinfeld," Seinfeld himself stipulated that was the point of the program, that their own attitudes were the sources of their continued unhappiness...but I suspect much of the audience didn't realize it.
Jerry Soprano?

How Seinfeld Paved the Way For Tony Soprano -- Vulture

Old 10-12-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I almost never watch anything at the time of broadcast. Other than sports - why would you?

I set the shows I like to record on an ongoing basis, and watch them when I can. I never think "what is on?", I look at my list and watch the shows I like when I have the time. That said, there are some shows I look forward to and watch fairly soon after they air - but it is still after they air. For example, I watch Doctor Who with my daughter the night it airs, but we start watching it at least half an hour after it starts (which works well with our dinner time). That's plenty of lead time to avoid commercials. Hell, the entire concept of a show being "on" seems pretty foreign to me at this point, and is completely crazy to my daughter.
Exactly. I'm not even sure when the shows I watch are on. I schedule them and watch them when it's convenient.

It has happened that I've recorded an entire season without watching any episode (not usually deliberately, but it happens). In that case, I've got something to watch during the program's hiatus.

And, yes, I sometimes begin watching the ongoing recording a half hour or so after the show has begun--which enables me to fast forward through the commercials.

More than once, when I've watched a program as it airs, I've found myself reaching for the fast forward button, then remembering, oh shoot, it's "live."

Old 10-12-2014, 04:15 PM

Well, I just watched a show on Animal Planet that revealed sin and adultery in a penguin colony.

The husband comes back from a day of fish-hunting with a gullet of fish to share with his mate back at the nest. But he comes back to the nest and discovers an interloper male there with his mate.

The penguin husband voices his outrage. The female merely nuzzles her new lover. The husband attacks, and the fight rolls out of the nest into the "street" with other penguins watching intently.

The two males fight furiously, pecking and beating each other bloody, finally coming to a draw. Both of the call to the female to make her choice. She strolls to the interloper and snuggles into his side, then the two of them go back to the nest.

The husband watches in exasperation, flaps his wings, then rushes to the nest to have it out with the interloper again. They fight even more viciously than before, but the interloper gets the upper hand.

Finally the husband cries out again to the female, but she turns her back on him and stays with the interloper. The husband trudges off, tripping over a branch and falling on his face to complete his disgrace.

The neighboring penguins continue to watch.

Dang, I never knew penguin life was so gangsta.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:40 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Goddess forbid tv move away from fake family values, and try and display some form of relative reality. Oh my goddess, gay people exist. Not sure how racism is relative to gay people, but at least you didn't go to the pedophile or beastiality route, you know, cause those are just as relative. Tv people are no longer trying to hide what goes on in real life, so what, how many 69's and 70's shows and movies were showing the "kids" at look out point, or the drive-in, yeah most was making out, but it was imied, and often said in ways that there was sex going on- excuse me a lot of "making out," going on. Speaking of gays in the media, one of Samanthas uncles was clearly gay. Racism; Archie Bunker was racist, and people thought it was hilarious, so was George Jefferson to some degree- it too was funny. Most families are not like the Brady Bunch, most families are like the Evans, the Bundies, the Taylors, the Foremans, the Macs. I can relate more to those families than I can the cunninghams, or even the Huxtables. People die, bad guys win, there is premerital sex, drunk sex, there are gays- we exist, people buy things from storage lockers, people say damn, there are criminals, and imperfect families. Obviously you need to stick to watching MeTV, AMC, and similar channels in your safe little bubble... or just stop watching tv. The Gay Mafia is watching you sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I cannot comment on any of those shows because I have either never heard of them, or haven't watched a single episode. However I have watched Bing Bang, and even though you inaccurately used the term "decent" (more on that in a minute), I know what you meant.

To the OP's topics, one of the problems with the degradation of our culture is the desensitizing that is done by liberal Hollywood. For instance, it is hard to find a TV show anymore that does not reference homosexuality either in the form of a positive joke or tacit social acceptance. That is in part one of the reasons younger kids/adults are accepting of redefining marriage and the family unit. The show Modern Family is but one example.
As a matter of fact, several liberal and homosexual producers have been openly working on desensitizing audiences to homosexuality for their own political agendas. Now just imagine if you had a producer who believed in racial discrimination against minorities, and whenever he could, threw in some anti-minority scenes, or had the theme of the show support someone who was a racist.
If he admitted such a thing, he would probably lose his career. Yet not too long ago when homosexuality was not being accepted by the mainstream, this is exactly what was admitted to, and nothing happened to them.

Another show that has about every single social taboo/degradation in it is Ray Donovan. It is about a "fixer" in Hollywood who cleans up problems among the entertainment industry. I was convinced to give it a try by a friend, and in the episode it had depictions of premarital sex, prostitution, interracial sex, murder, drug use, pedophiles, explicit vulgarity, misogyny, homosexuality, and so many forms of crime, I lost count. This all in the one episode.
I don't know how popular this show is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

As to the Big Bang, it depicts premarital sex, acceptance of deriding religious views, and the aforementioned homosexual references in the form of acceptance. Furthermore, the lead character is not only a homosexual in real life, but acts like it as well. Sure he is portrayed as heterosexual because he has a so called girlfriend, but his mannerisms are almost all but effeminate. It is a witty show and does have some redeeming qualities with it's high brow and educated humor(unlike the Simpsons type of shows).

The point is that few shows anymore depict strong moral and/or religious family values like they once did.
Shows like The Waltons, Little House on the Prairie, Full House, 7th Heaven, Happy Days, Leave it to Beaver, The Cosby Show, Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, Father Knows Best, The Brady Bunch, The Andy Griffin Show, etc. are long gone.
Heck most of those shows are from the 60's-70's with maybe a few from the 80's-90's. What shows today are without vice, and set an example of how people are decent, patriotic, God fearing families that strive to live a proper life, and help their fellow man?

I of course have not even touched on music of today, with only some country music having good moral values expressed.

`

Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 PM

340 posts, read 608,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
First of all, why did you edit my post in your quote when I clearly prefaced my comment with the following; (emphasis added by bolding now)

"Another show that has about every single social taboo/degradation in it is Ray Donovan"

So clearly I did not say immoral, and gave two examples of what all those things I listed could come under.

I am not sure why you pulled interracial sex out of the whole list of other things I put down regarding the only episode of Ray Donovan, but I'd like to know why

As to racism being immoral, that is something we can agree on.
Well, the way you wrote it, it seemed as though you were lumping interracial relationships in with a bunch of things that you no doubt consider immoral. Someone of my generation wouldn't really consider "interracial sex" a social taboo, and since this thread is about moral degradation in entertainment it just seems like an unnecessary inclusion. Anyway, I am sorry for jumping to conclusions because I misunderstood your intention, and thank you for clarifying.

Quote:
Then again, to many people homosexuality is immoral, yet it was intentionally put into TV shows by homosexual producers to subliminally desensitize the viewing audience. So my comparative example using another immoral action that would be seized upon shows the proclivity of liberal Hollywood to overlook what a majority would consider immoral, yet they would ruin someone if the producer did the same thing with something they did feel was immoral. Do you now see my point?
Actually, I did understand the point you were making about that, which I why I only included the part of your post about race in my post. And I don't disagree that society would never be so accepting of homosexuality and gay marriage if weren't for Hollywood and its portrayals of gays and lesbians. Which is not surprising, since it seems that the entertainment industry, especially for young people, has become the new religion of our society, with movie stars as the pantheon of this religion. Young people look up to these gods and goddesses (movie/TV stars) and determine what is acceptable or not based on the beliefs and sentiments of the entertainment industry, whereas in this country people mostly used to determine what they believed to be right or wrong based on either the teachings of their church/temple, etc., and/or what they read in the Bible.

Quote:
Also, do you have a few examples of what you define as "a lot of racism on TV nowadays"?
By "racism on TV" I don't mean overt racism, but rather the way TV writers pigeonhole people of certain races to very specific roles, and rarely do you see minorities breaking out of those specific roles. Like, for example, how often do you see an African-American man on a drama who isn't either a cop or a thug? Or how often is a minority person cast in a lead role? Stuff like that, that's what I'm talking about.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:42 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The general agenda of the media elites is to accrue more power and control over the populace and how they think. Much of this is done on a subliminal level, using occult symbolism. The general goal is to weaken people so they have no self-discipline, morals, or values and to impart the values of their very sick occult religion. The media works in tandem with top levels of government & the business world to achieve these ends.

Here are a few of many YouTube videos on the topic..and not necessarily even the best ones....but a good enough intro to a very big topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNUjQrtTGRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rMDh7crDos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj-VkExyfsQ

This person knows the deal. The Illuminati is in control!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts