Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 03:23 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's a point. It spills over to sit coms as well, were every character is inane, greedy, and narcissistic.
Yes indeed. Furthermore, I don't think a lot of people under 35 or so realize that this was not the norm before Married with Children. When that show caught on, and the Bundy's became "cool", the narrative was set and here we are decades later and it's still fashionable to be a lying, cheating, underhanded, self-indulgent, low class jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 04:22 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Yes indeed. Furthermore, I don't think a lot of people under 35 or so realize that this was not the norm before Married with Children. When that show caught on, and the Bundy's became "cool", the narrative was set and here we are decades later and it's still fashionable to be a lying, cheating, underhanded, self-indulgent, low class jerk.
I don't think many people would act like Al if they thought they would get the same, or similar consequences. The show was, and still is cool, I like watching it just as much as I like watching Family Matters. Oh wait a minute, awe yeah, someone else from that era gets to be corrected about thier era of good wholesome television. I used to watch the Honeymooners, and Ralph was pretty much like Al to a degree, don'cha think, and I'm reall certain it was on tv waaaay before 1987.

-Gen Exer outtie 5000

Old 10-16-2014, 12:55 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
A thing that is a killer of a show to me is when they shift out of being single and get married, start having families. Ie, when Charmed was about "single, hot witches", I was tuned into every episode, would watch it two or three times a week.

But....when Piper got married, when Phoebe started to tone down to one boyfriend who was going to be her man for life, my interest waned because now they were showing a situation I can never approach.

It seems, to me, most shows are always like that, the woman eventually gets married. Of course, "TV weddings" are always great big ratings grabbers, so that is probably a power behind it.

Now, maybe it is not now like this.....and when it was, I had a list of shows that were like that, but I have been so long out of watching TV, I can't point to it now. Maybe that list included Melrose Place and Models, Inc..

But if it isn't, in this traditional world where many scream of degeneracy, perhaps they can rest assured that there is still one "traditional" goal out there.................for whatever reason.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:19 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I don't think many people would act like Al if they thought they would get the same, or similar consequences. The show was, and still is cool, I like watching it just as much as I like watching Family Matters. Oh wait a minute, awe yeah, someone else from that era gets to be corrected about thier era of good wholesome television. I used to watch the Honeymooners, and Ralph was pretty much like Al to a degree, don'cha think, and I'm reall certain it was on tv waaaay before 1987.

-Gen Exer outtie 5000
I was referring to the whole cast of the show. There was not one "straight person" in it -- even the neighbors across the street were the dregs of society.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I was referring to the whole cast of the show. There was not one "straight person" in it -- even the neighbors across the street were the dregs of society.
This is about "Married With Children"?

Never watched more than 5 episodes; the show rather gave me an upset stomach. Never understood the appeal to it.

But as far as the appeal of being underhanded, that such was the way to go, there was "Sheriff Lobo" back in the 80's. Couldn't go with that show either although it helped that I was in college at the time and didn't have much time to watch TV. But there was an evil man from the pilot, upgraded to be just corrupt slightly, who was always trying to get the reward money in a less than honest way, and being outsmarted at the end (as I understand what people said about it)............and the first season was a HIT!

Maybe it was just the charm of Claude Akins. No, not really, just that I recall an episode of "Moving On" in the 70's where some blonde is driving the rig, they tell her to keep it under the speed limit, and she loudly proclaims, "Well, if any cops shop up, we'll just outrun them!"...........and my parents, I think it was my father, practically made me turn off the TV because watching shows, movies that glamorized crime was forbidden when I was growing up. (which makes it rather interesting that my mother in her last years would be a fan of "Weeds").

But you do have a point, that being mean and crooked is the way of things now on TV, such as with "Desperate Housewives" (which I only watched at Mom's, as polite company). Of course, the interesting thing about these shows is that they show that being underhanded is fun............and safe. I would watch these shows and be thinking that if they had pi**ed off the wrong person, it wouldn't take much for someone to extract a very painful revenge.

And maybe that's the hazardous part. At least with Greek Tragedy, the audience got to see the penalty for extreme deviance. In concept, they got to explore the dark side of human nature, get it out of their system, but they were also taught what happens when one crosses the line. I am not sure if our current TV/movies show that, however.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:59 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
And maybe that's the hazardous part. At least with Greek Tragedy, the audience got to see the penalty for extreme deviance. In concept, they got to explore the dark side of human nature, get it out of their system, but they were also taught what happens when one crosses the line. I am not sure if our current TV/movies show that, however.
This is the point.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
This is about "Married With Children"?

Never watched more than 5 episodes; the show rather gave me an upset stomach. Never understood the appeal to it.

But as far as the appeal of being underhanded, that such was the way to go, there was "Sheriff Lobo" back in the 80's. Couldn't go with that show either although it helped that I was in college at the time and didn't have much time to watch TV. But there was an evil man from the pilot, upgraded to be just corrupt slightly, who was always trying to get the reward money in a less than honest way, and being outsmarted at the end (as I understand what people said about it)............and the first season was a HIT!

Maybe it was just the charm of Claude Akins. No, not really, just that I recall an episode of "Moving On" in the 70's where some blonde is driving the rig, they tell her to keep it under the speed limit, and she loudly proclaims, "Well, if any cops shop up, we'll just outrun them!"...........and my parents, I think it was my father, practically made me turn off the TV because watching shows, movies that glamorized crime was forbidden when I was growing up. (which makes it rather interesting that my mother in her last years would be a fan of "Weeds").

But you do have a point, that being mean and crooked is the way of things now on TV, such as with "Desperate Housewives" (which I only watched at Mom's, as polite company). Of course, the interesting thing about these shows is that they show that being underhanded is fun............and safe. I would watch these shows and be thinking that if they had pi**ed off the wrong person, it wouldn't take much for someone to extract a very painful revenge.

Married...With Children is a hilarious show, I don't too much care for the Dodge jokes, though. Al hardly ever got away scott free, I can't tell you how many times he's gotten beat up, put in a body cast, knocked off his roof, put in jail, blown up, electrocuted, maced. As underhanded, and sefish as they were, they still loved each other, not too many of Kellys boyfriends didn't get "shown the door," before being tossed out by Al, if the family was threaten, there would be a Bundy rumble, they were all sad when the dog died- accept the D'arcy's. If you like lowbrow humor, slapstick, many celebrity guest stars(like the episode with Wolfman Jack), satirical life moments; like being on hold, installing a satelite dish, or drama, like the death of Al's Dodge Dart, it's a good show, ran ten seasons.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Married...With Children is a hilarious show, I don't too much care for the Dodge jokes, though. Al hardly ever got away scott free, I can't tell you how many times he's gotten beat up, put in a body cast, knocked off his roof, put in jail, blown up, electrocuted, maced. As underhanded, and sefish as they were, they still loved each other, not too many of Kellys boyfriends didn't get "shown the door," before being tossed out by Al, if the family was threaten, there would be a Bundy rumble, they were all sad when the dog died- accept the D'arcy's. If you like lowbrow humor, slapstick, many celebrity guest stars(like the episode with Wolfman Jack), satirical life moments; like being on hold, installing a satelite dish, or drama, like the death of Al's Dodge Dart, it's a good show, ran ten seasons.
Well........."If you say so, Mr. Bond.".

Just A and B.........and maybe C.

A: As I said, I couldn't watch the show. Just seeing the opening made me sick.

B: Even if Al got his just desserts each week, there is still the point that the next week, he is shown trying to do something else underhanded. Hence, in a sense, he's a habitual career, if rather unsuccessful, criminal............and he's the hero of a popular show. I mean, Frank Burns might have been similar....but at least he wasn't the hero.

C: What is the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

Old 10-20-2014, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Well........."If you say so, Mr. Bond.".

Just A and B.........and maybe C.

A: As I said, I couldn't watch the show. Just seeing the opening made me sick.

B: Even if Al got his just desserts each week, there is still the point that the next week, he is shown trying to do something else underhanded. Hence, in a sense, he's a habitual career, if rather unsuccessful, criminal............and he's the hero of a popular show. I mean, Frank Burns might have been similar....but at least he wasn't the hero.

C: What is the definition of insanity? Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?
I love the show, some people just let their intelligence or standards keep them from enjoying something they might like. It's title sequence is no different than most 80-90s sitcoms.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I love the show, some people just let their intelligence or standards keep them from enjoying something they might like. It's title sequence is no different than most 80-90s sitcoms.
Which sitcoms did you have in mind? Golden Girls? Empty Nest? Nurses (first season)? Family Ties?

None of them had a cigarette butt showing up in what you were trying to eat. None of them were trying to disgust the audience. But "Married With Children" did.

Now, maybe "Nurses" 2nd and 3rd season might have...................but I didn't watch it then. They changed the format, axed most of the cast, brought in people and characters that were miserable to watch and I turned it off.

So what sitcoms did you have in mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts