Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,712 times

Advertisements

Space based sci fi used to be popular on TV. We had stuff like like Star Trek and . No current show on TV takes place aboard a spaceship. So what killed the genre? Bad acting? Considered too nerdy by the general population? Stupid looking aliens? Low quality special effects? Horrible or unrelatable stories? Maybe we were spoiled by the high quality of shows like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead which makes developing a space based show that would appeal to this generation take a immense amount of resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 03:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
Probably a few reasons why no sci-fi the main one being those in charge of the tv industry and the public in general just arent into the genre of sci-fi.
More reality shows seem to be where tv is going.
A good Sci-fi show is expensive to produce.
Damn am i ready for a new Startrek series,but if people dont watch it it will be considered a flop, after watching how Enterprise ended up its a big gamble to make such a show.Personally i thought the show was great and was glued to every episode..

Welcome to the forum Jon

Old 11-30-2014, 03:46 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,512,061 times
I think we have had several threads on this topic. But I think that people lost interest and went on to other genres.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I think we have had several threads on this topic. But I think that people lost interest and went on to other genres.
You make the point,,people just arent into Sci-Fi, although i think the upcoming Starwars movie will be a block buster.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:38 PM

5,435 posts, read 6,209,465 times
Space based sci-fi has taken a back seat to vampires and zombies the last few years, but fear not, the force is strong in space and space based sci-fi shall live long and prosper!

Old 12-05-2014, 10:08 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,148,452 times
I'd love to see more.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:28 PM

23,504 posts, read 13,740,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JondumBSpectre909 View Post
Space based sci fi used to be popular on TV. We had stuff like like Star Trek and . No current show on TV takes place aboard a spaceship. So what killed the genre? Bad acting? Considered too nerdy by the general population? Stupid looking aliens? Low quality special effects? Horrible or unrelatable stories? Maybe we were spoiled by the high quality of shows like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead which makes developing a space based show that would appeal to this generation take a immense amount of resources.
One of the things is what's in the budget......and even with Star Trek, they used and invented budgeting measures.

Don't have the money to build the shuttle craft this season? Invent the transporter. Can't build an alien ship interior? Use your own ship set and redo the lighting (ie, The Enterprise Incident).

OR, one might go the way of UFO. Yes, they did have great interiors, but look at the budget saving trick they pulled with the SHADO HQ exterior!

As far as the genre, well that may depend on the audience. When TV went reality, I essentially turned off....permanently. I still find it incredibly to look back and see how a fantastically active TV watching habit went from that to ZERO in about 3 years.

So what was the last spaceship show I was watching? Battlestar Galactica. What killed it for me? Too much focus on the trial, unreal social concepts, and being yanked around by the channel. The first is pretty clear and the second was about the story line doing things that either didn't make sense or were impossible to make sense. Ie, when you are fighting for survival, you don't fire your best fighter pilot just because you disagree with his concept of justice. The third was the channel showing encore shows and then not showing the season finale encore without a warning.

Unfortunately, the above is more an illustration of how they make space shows these days and why they end up doomed. They lose sight of the big picture and instead, get caught up in their social utopia.

Or they want to attract viewers by throwing in the eye candy, the heart throbs. It may pay for the lights to be on in the short run, but they eventually become so focused on that, that the rest of the story goes to pot.

BUT, that's just my humble opinion, I could be wrong.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:54 AM

122 posts, read 95,852 times
Physics and reality shows. The warp core engine was fail. So were transporters and gravity particles. People were all over the tech and that's why the older cell phones flipped open like the communicators in Star Trek. But there's nothing in Physics now that supports a spacecraft that can arrive at an exoplanet in a single episode and the tech for transporting objects never materialized (pun). So people moved on to multi-universe theory and other things.

But hey, Star Trek "Into Darkness" was totally awesome so there's still a chance for that genre... if they focus more on the plot than the tech.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:41 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,481,555 times
Younger generations don't like sci-fi that much.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:21 PM

1,683 posts, read 802,222 times
Reality caught up to "the future." The space shuttle and international space station... hello - the future is here right now.

By the way, I thought Avatar and Gravity were two of the worst movies I've ever seen. After the witty repartee of George Clooney in Oh Brother where art Thou and Sandra Bullock in Miss Congeniality it was very disappointing to sit through 2 hours of them mumbling a few inuendo based nothings while dodging space crap flying at them at 29,000 miles per second or whatever the rubbish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts