Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:27 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Everyone who goes to the grocery store comes out with a long loaf of unwrapped Italian bread sticking out of the bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 06:13 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
When someone shoots a bunch of bad guys with a hand gun and just totally ignores the automatic weapons next to their corpses.
I think I'm saying the same thing, but if not, I'll just say this. I hate it when some idiot shoots the bad guy once and either:

A: leaves the gun right beside the of course nondead "corpse"
B: doesn't shoot the bad guy enough times to kill him, so he comes after him/her again 5 seconds later.

I think the cliche I hate the worst by far is the cliche of the useless hysterical female. She can't do anything in an emergency situation to help herself, her significant other, or her children. So all she does is scream, cry, or run, then of course trip and fall. She always depends on whatever guy to come and save her. Then of course, they always fall in love. Barf

Old 02-02-2015, 06:46 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
The car never wanting to start in a horror movie. Don't these people know to get a tune-up once in a while? And running upstairs...right past the front door. Every house having double-cylinder deadbolts and the keys are nowhere in sight. Just a few that bug me.
I think it would make more sense if during the entire movie the car had troubles, and then when that person needed it to, it wouldn't start.

For me it's the cartoon physics... see Fast and the Furious 7 trailer

Last edited by topher5150; 02-02-2015 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-03-2015, 04:49 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Everyone who goes to the grocery store comes out with a long loaf of unwrapped Italian bread sticking out of the bag.
Bwahahaha!

Old 02-03-2015, 05:02 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Ome thing that annoys me is how men have been protrayed on tv shows since the late 80's. He's kinda dumb, or fat, has little say so in his own home, always ends up on the couch, afraid of his wife, that kinda bullspit that makes you think the networks are run by feminazi.
King Of Queens
Married...With Children
Everybody Loves Raymond
Rules Of Engagement(the newly wed couple)
That show Brad Garret did when he played a history teacher, forgot name.
You get the point. Everybody dying in in a horror movie, or the antogonist surving when it's only a short series, like Jeepers Creepers. Every time travel anything has to have a paradox in it, I don't know why it's annoying, it just is. Turning the tv off when people start talking, episodes that are shown in first person.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:16 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
The killer/criminal in mystery crime shows is typically the one suspect/witness/friend of victim that was questioned and released at the beginning of the show.

Bad guys always explain what they're going to do. Revealing info that leads to their demise.

Victims always investigate the anomalous sound/noise/event that ultimately brings them to the killer.

Computer hacking/cracking = "dueling" with each other on the keyboard. And breaking encryption algorithms only takes a few key strokes. The better a hacker you are, the faster typer you are. You can covertly break into any system on TV.

No matter how badly damaged a technology product is, they can always pull some image/sound/video off of it. And it's always a critical piece of the puzzle.

Media can be enhanced or extrapolated in any shape or form. A picture taken with an old cell phone camera at 100K pixels? No problem, the tech can make it HD with a few hand gestures.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:04 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,197 times
Just saw this one: females who complain about how fat they are and how they wish they were skinny will be dayum skinny.

Chinese food is eaten directly from a takeout container and food has to be stabbed with chopsticks in between bites.

High school ex that was dumped always becomes good looking and rich, possibly famous and always returns to their hometown to see the person that dumped them because they have something very important to ask. The dumper is barely scraping by with their schlubby/frumpy spouse who just so happens be exact same person they dumped ex for 20 years ago. Dumper is convinced ex wants to give it another go and envisions a fancy new life until ex meets up with dumper and brings their drop dead gorgeous spouse cuz all they really just want their class ring back.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:32 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,530,374 times
Crime shows, when they zoom way in on a grainy security camera image, then run some program which of course in a few seconds brings out the detail they need to complete the case.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:22 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Guy pursues girl who is not interested. He continues to pursue and eventually "wears her down" and she finally falls in love with him because his persistence is so endearing.
This premise has been encouraging stalkers for at least 30 years, and it never works in real life.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:19 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
tv:
-1 and done envied relatives. A relative (usually a sister of a main character) is either rich and jetsetty or a bohemian world traveller, comes for a visit with, an argument happens betwen and envied relative admits their life isn't all that it seems and they are really jealous of the other's life. Said relative leaves and is never seen or heard from ever again.

-Leaving Town Because of Love Syndrome (but not really). Person A is distraught that the love of their life since they were 2 is getting engaged or married to someone else so they quit their job, give up their home, get a new job and place to live in a city far, far away except the night before they are gone for good their true wuv declares their love for them and they stay. Somehow their job takes them back, they get their home back and all is well.

tv and movies:

-Secret Rich People. The homeless beggar you give a quarter to every day, the disheveled next door neighbor always scrounging for food, the pizza delivery guy, a family member's new girlfriend or boyfriend that you hate are all rich or have rich families and give you a pile of money or their entire fortune when you lose your car, house or job.

-lifestyle, home and wardrobe wildly disproportionate to a person's profession. Characters living paycheck to paycheck in Architectural Digest worthy apartments, wear jewelry whose cost exceeds their salary and can jump on a plane to Paris at a moment's notice with no financial fallout.
I have never seen any of this. I guess I don't watch much TV.

As to the horror movie cliches listed in this thread, meh it's all stupid to me which is why I never watch them.

A lot of women on TV/movies are insufferable. They're often obsessed with getting married or some crap like that. I have no problem with love as I have loved myself but the way they go about it is just awful.
They also often make a big deal out of nothing or they don't stand up for themselves. You see this mostly with the teen shows but sometimes you see vulnerable or bratty women on other comedy shows too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts