Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 PM

22,658 posts, read 6,402,714 times

Advertisements

Just when the bad guy(or woman) is going to shoot the good guy (or woman) someone pops up
at the very last second and offs the bad one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 01:12 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,344,105 times
TV/film: Soundtrack music-often a tune being played on a music box-
that is obviously designed to signal to us, the audience, that this character is "crazy"/mentally deranged.
Technique of using warped/distorted sound f/x and/or "childlike" music in such scenes seriously irritates me.
As if that's what it sounds like inside that person's mind or something-oh please.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:53 AM

36,994 posts, read 41,017,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I think the cliche I hate the worst by far is the cliche of the useless hysterical female. She can't do anything in an emergency situation to help herself, her significant other, or her children. So all she does is scream, cry, or run, then of course trip and fall. She always depends on whatever guy to come and save her. Then of course, they always fall in love. Barf
Hey, Scooby, have you read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon? it's now a Starz mini-series, on hiatus until April.

She saves him. Then they fall in love! (Well, he does some saving, too, but definitely a strong female character.)

Old 02-06-2015, 02:07 AM

36,994 posts, read 41,017,756 times
Default There really are secret rich people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
Secret Rich People. The homeless beggar you give a quarter to every day, the disheveled next door neighbor always scrounging for food, the pizza delivery guy, a family member's new girlfriend or boyfriend that you hate are all rich or have rich families and give you a pile of money or their entire fortune when you lose your car, house or job.
Man who lived modestly leaves millions in surprise donations | Daily Mail Online

Rome News-Tribune - Google News Archive Search

Secret millionaire donates fortune to Lake Forest College - Chicago Tribune

Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,629,326 times
Running and falling down.
People not just driving away when they are perfectly capable of doing so.
Cops that never have back-up.

Clutzy main characters. I used to read a series of mystery novels where the main character was constantly walking into things, tripping, etc. Not sure if it was supposed to be humanizing or cute or what, but, it became a deal-breaker.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:27 PM

17,505 posts, read 17,408,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I have never seen any of this. I guess I don't watch much TV.

As to the horror movie cliches listed in this thread, meh it's all stupid to me which is why I never watch them.

A lot of women on TV/movies are insufferable. They're often obsessed with getting married or some crap like that. I have no problem with love as I have loved myself but the way they go about it is just awful.
They also often make a big deal out of nothing or they don't stand up for themselves. You see this mostly with the teen shows but sometimes you see vulnerable or bratty women on other comedy shows too.
A lot of TV/movies today show skinny women with little to no muscle tone some how able to beat the krap out of large physically fit men, even knocking them out with a single punch. Total BS in reality. Not saying there aren't women who can beat up a man. I'm saying women in that physical condition and wearing high heals cannot overpower a much larger physically fit man the way shown in TV/movies.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:02 AM

7,795 posts, read 6,355,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I think I'm saying the same thing, but if not, I'll just say this. I hate it when some idiot shoots the bad guy once and either:

A: leaves the gun right beside the of course nondead "corpse"
B: doesn't shoot the bad guy enough times to kill him, so he comes after him/her again 5 seconds later.

I think the cliche I hate the worst by far is the cliche of the useless hysterical female. She can't do anything in an emergency situation to help herself, her significant other, or her children. So all she does is scream, cry, or run, then of course trip and fall. She always depends on whatever guy to come and save her. Then of course, they always fall in love. Barf
lol that is another one that annoys me. I was talking about how they just keep using their weak ass hand gun instead of taking the dead guys high powered automatic rifle.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:06 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Then there's the ever-popular exploding car. The car goes off the road. The driver is unconscious. We see gasoline leaking from the car. A hero appears who sees the car and the unconscious driver and runs down the slope--this always happens on a slope, never on flat land--pulls the driver from the vehicle and begins to carry her up the slope. For some reason, he stops and turns to look at the vehicle, and at that very moment, the car explodes!

Old 02-09-2015, 02:36 PM

607 posts, read 955,387 times
There is ALWAYS a parking spot right in front of the driver's destination

Being on a stakeout includes a lot of half-eaten sandwiches, as the object of the surveillance only appears mid-bite

When the good guys have to leave in a hurry, they get right in their cars and start them immediately - they are never locked, and they are never looking for their keys

Any answering machine at a crime scene contains an un-listened message that has a direct bearing on the crime (it's never Rhonda from cardholder services...)

Every bomb/booby-trap has a timer with red LED numbers

Old 02-11-2015, 07:15 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,603,814 times
ugly duckling into swan, magic makeover, aka Anne Hathaway

and its cousin

popular high school jock and geeky girl Cinderella story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts