Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:05 AM

958 posts, read 2,127,174 times

Advertisements

I got rid of Dish and got a Roku box a year ago it's great! There was a time when there was an effort put into the programming of channels now, almost every non premium channel just runs marathons like Pawn Stars on History or those goofy survivalist shows on Discovery. All the variety on cable or satellite tv is gone. Streaming tv seems to be the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:19 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,017,835 times
I would never buy cable again. I have Netflix and hulu and a roku. Tbh if you have a pc with fast internet you can watch ANYTHING you want streaming online.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:00 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,768,032 times
If anything is at the heart of the argument about net neutrality, this is exactly the issue.

The problem is that the cables companies are major content providers and are also the largest service providers. It is in their best self interest is to screw other content providers by charging them more and more to the disadvantage of consumers.

Absolutely, if you can get high speed internet separate from other services the isp provides, then take it. I believe that Comcast, for example, sells 6 megabit down for 45 bucks a month - plenty of bandwidth for the programming you can get from netflix and hulu and elsewhere.

You folks are giving me some good ideas. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:55 AM

23,506 posts, read 13,740,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I finally talked my girlfriend into dumping the cable and sticking with Netflix / Amazon Prime and buying Hulu Plus instead.

This will save us almost $75 a month, $900/year.

For this of you who have done this, has there been anything I haven't thought through? We want to be sure we are still able to watch our normal shows, Family Guy, Bachelor, Modern Family, etc... Was the sacrifice of DVR and convenience of cable worth it to you?

Most of the movies we watch we can buy or watch for free on Amazon Prime.

This seems to make sense to me but I want to be sure I'm not missing anything...
Rather depends on what you want.

While I haven't dumped cable, I hardly watch any more. But the point there is not really cable......but TV. For me, TV just simply is not fun anymore, from what is being offered to how they advertise it to the way they jerk around the audience.

As such, almost all my watching is "canned", comes from tapes and DVD's. My "newest" TV series is "Bionic Woman" (yet to be watched) and "Battlestar Galactica". It's the A and B of things.

A, as previously stated is that TV has turned me off that much and hence that is probably not of any use to you.

B, however, might be. My way of viewing has become, over the years, that I will get around to it. I'm years behind on famous shows. Hence, this is one of the reasons why it is more to my advantage to have a canned library instead of depending on a service to always have it out there. If my way of watching is yours, that is something you might want to keep in mind.

Finally, there is also my way of movie watching. I prefer going into a movie not knowing anything about it. The genre, who is in it, that's okay, but other than that, nothing. That's what made "From Dusk till Dawn" such a joy. I picked it up as an ultra violent crime flick.....and knew nothing of what was to come. I just got done watching "Nobody's Fool" (Newman/Tandy) and again, walked into it knowing nothing about it, just that Paul Newman was a good draw.

This is my way of movie watching, pull something off the shelf, watch it, have a decent break of the day for two hours or so.

If my way is your way, then again, a canned library might be better. Unfortunately, however, canned libraries do run the risk of having their menus, their synopsis done by the same people who write everywhere else; they give away half the movie in three sentences or in the background of the menu page. For instance, "Skyjacked".

Here's the box cover:
Pictures & Photos from Skyjacked (1972) - IMDb

with its suggestion of suspense, mystery, trying to figure out whodunit.

And then, be it the imdb synopsis
Skyjacked (1972) - IMDb
or the DVD main menu page and poof!, 40 minutes of the movie is given away in the blink of an eye.

Unfortunately, these production idiots seem to be everywhere through the industry.

If you can find a service that manages to avoid that, all the better to you.

Good luck.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:02 AM

709 posts, read 697,093 times
Cancelled my cable last year was paying 52.00 per month. Switched to Netflix and Amazon Prime for about 16.00 per month. All cable has become is commercials which you pay to watch.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:19 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,017,835 times
With the exception of sports events. There is not a single show on cable that I can't stream online for free within minutes of airing. HD cord from pc to TV and voila. Internet service $30 month.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,758,769 times
I watch wrestling, sports and a few series on cable channels that you cannot get over the air. ESPN dies watch ESPN and you have to actually get ESPN as of right now to access it. Once Disney decides to launch their own service whether it is you get the family channels and/or ESPNs without cable, I think more people will choose to got the route of Roku boxes rather than cable/satellite.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:06 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,806,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I watch wrestling, sports and a few series on cable channels that you cannot get over the air. ESPN dies watch ESPN and you have to actually get ESPN as of right now to access it. Once Disney decides to launch their own service whether it is you get the family channels and/or ESPNs without cable, I think more people will choose to got the route of Roku boxes rather than cable/satellite.
I think the Disney family will be a part of the SlingTV - sling dot com - (Dish) internet package, $20. Public roll out will be in a couple of weeks. And ESPN/2.

Quote:
http://www.reddit.com/tb/2tun0k

For $20 a month, you get ABC Family, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, CNN, Disney Channel, ESPN, ESPN2, Food Network, HGTV, TBS, TNT, and Travel Channel.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,758,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
I think the Disney family will be a part of the SlingTV - sling dot com - (Dish) internet package, $20. Public roll out will be in a couple of weeks. And ESPN/2.
I refuse to get a Dish product, those guys are idiots.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:27 AM

37,470 posts, read 45,693,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I finally talked my girlfriend into dumping the cable and sticking with Netflix / Amazon Prime and buying Hulu Plus instead.

This will save us almost $75 a month, $900/year.

For this of you who have done this, has there been anything I haven't thought through? We want to be sure we are still able to watch our normal shows, Family Guy, Bachelor, Modern Family, etc... Was the sacrifice of DVR and convenience of cable worth it to you?

Most of the movies we watch we can buy or watch for free on Amazon Prime.

This seems to make sense to me but I want to be sure I'm not missing anything...
I've never had cable. I think I would have figured out by now if I had missed anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts