Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 03:49 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times

Advertisements

I've always thought that if time travel were possible, you might not need a time machine at all. Assuming you believe in a soul and that time exists, that is that events that have happened can still be occurring or can be accessed by going back in time to them, you might be able to take your consciousness back to your body at an earlier time. If your soul is in your body, and your consciousness is tied along with it, its sort of forming a bridge. You could relive past events, possibly change history. I don't think you could change it permanently, that is if you went forward in time that future you had left would still be the same. But maybe not. Maybe you'd go back to a radically different future, if you went back. It's just a theory. The many movies with characters going back in time and find themselves in younger bodies is the same thing, its usually never explained how except by magic.
But I remember that one night on " Coast To Coast AM" with George Noory, they had a time travel "expert" who made it a point to say that exact theory was not possible and a machine or wormhole was needed. Was he just trying to throw us off the track, or was he a crackpot espousing one crackpot theory and pooh poohing another equally crackpot theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 06:55 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I've always thought that if time travel were possible, you might not need a time machine at all. Assuming you believe in a soul and that time exists, that is that events that have happened can still be occurring or can be accessed by going back in time to them, you might be able to take your consciousness back to your body at an earlier time. If your soul is in your body, and your consciousness is tied along with it, its sort of forming a bridge. You could relive past events, possibly change history. I don't think you could change it permanently, that is if you went forward in time that future you had left would still be the same. But maybe not. Maybe you'd go back to a radically different future, if you went back. It's just a theory. The many movies with characters going back in time and find themselves in younger bodies is the same thing, its usually never explained how except by magic.
But I remember that one night on " Coast To Coast AM" with George Noory, they had a time travel "expert" who made it a point to say that exact theory was not possible and a machine or wormhole was needed. Was he just trying to throw us off the track, or was he a crackpot espousing one crackpot theory and pooh poohing another equally crackpot theory?
Well, A and B and maybe C.

A: Arthur C. Clarke lightly touched on a similar concept in the story "All the time in the World". Sort of.

B: It is a concept I use in my fantasy life where another species are really immortal spirits that occasionally take corpus form. Since they are immortal, to travel, all they need to do is go up and down the line as they wish.

C: It does sound like, sort of, "Somewhere in Time".

Old 03-22-2015, 05:07 PM

486 posts, read 832,212 times
I assume if our tech is that good it could just be uploaded into the wetware in our brain.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:22 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
A portal. Definitely! So there's no mistake, and some control over who goes where, to avoid the Grandfather Paradox. With a wrist implant coded to the portal to yank you back.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:10 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Christopher Reeve didn't bother with a device. He just used hypnosis to go back in time to meet Jane Seymour in 'Somewhere in Time.' Unfortunately it was a one-off.

Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman used his way back machine to travel through time.

I think I would prefer a starship myself.

Last edited by Michael Way; 03-28-2015 at 10:19 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 01:00 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
An app on my droid.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:37 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,079 times
I wouldn't turn down any of the ideas so far.

I think I want my time machine built into a closet/wardrobe (ala Narnia) - you don't want to look like a dummy when you get there! It will automatically change your hairstyle and clothing to match the time period you're visiting, AND generate an ID and currency, if applicable.

In addition to time travel, it could transport you to any time or location in the universe (and safely get you back too)!

Old 04-05-2015, 04:18 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Something portable, although I wouldn't mind a sled speeding through a worm-hole.

I'm claustrophobic, so the idea of a capsule or small enclosure of any kind would not be good for me unless it zapped immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts