Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:49 AM

862 posts, read 1,196,467 times

Advertisements

Despite his stroke and other health issues Dick Clark still continued to do New Years Rockin' Eve until NYE 2011. Clark would die in April 2012. If memory serves in his later years I seem to recall reading somewhere that Dick Clark's health was so bad he could not even eat solid foods and had lost some teeth as well yet he still continued to do his New Years Eve TV show on ABC.

Elizabeth Montgomery ( Bewitched ) was dying from cancer when she did the 1995 TV-movie "Deadline for Murder: From the Files of Edna Buchanan" though she didn't know she even had cancer that would soon kill her until after production on the movie had ended.

Last edited by tantan1968; 08-07-2015 at 06:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 03:17 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post

Elizabeth Montgomery ( Bewitched ) was dying from cancer when she did the 1995 TV-movie "Deadline for Murder: From the Files of Edna Buchanan" though she didn't know she even had cancer that would soon kill her until after production on the movie had ended.

I liked her in everything she did and miss her.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:02 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,229,393 times
I was so shocked to see the change in Dolph Sweet while tuning in for "Gimme a Break!", a series that I didn't watch regularly. One evening, I decided to watch it and knew that this great character actor had something terribly wrong with him. He died in the fourth season of the popular series that starred Nell Carter.

I think it was obvious to everyone that Judy Garland's health was failing. She looked so frail and tiny though she still had that amazing voice.

He wasn't the one in ill-health, but Max Gail looked so bad at one point that my mother and I were sure he was undergoing something major and thought he might be dying. We learned later that his wife was dying and that he was trying to provide care for her while continuing working.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:48 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times
This really doesn't count, but I always found the scene in "Dog Day Afternoon" where John Cazale is scolding one of the hostages about smoking (because he says he's so scared of cancer) a little creepy. This was just a couple of years before he was diagnosed with lung cancer, and he probably already had it by then. It just kind of gives me a chill every time I see it.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:42 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Who could forget poor Tammy Faye Messner's (Bakker) appearance on Larry King just two days before her death?

Old 10-05-2015, 11:15 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post

I think it was obvious to everyone that Judy Garland's health was failing. She looked so frail and tiny though she still had that amazing voice.

Several years ago I can remember watching online ( probably You Tube ) a video of Judy rehearsing for her appearance on the set of The Hollywood Palace only a year or two before her death. While she did a great job on the show itself it was easy to tell by watching her rehearsing for the show that Judy wasn't..well all there. One minute she would sing and then suddenly stop and just stare into the camera with a blank look on her face. At one point someone off camera had asked her if she was ok then Judy would snap her fingers and say something off the wall that made no sense and then she would start to sing again. Sad to see.

Unfortunately as to the video of this it was taken down sometime ago and has yet to pop up again.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:00 AM

422 posts, read 335,998 times
I just was watching reruns of dynasty that had Rock Hudson in them. He looked good at first, but then started looking a little thin and rough....it was nice to see him act again, but sad too.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:13 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Warren Zevon on Late Night with David Letterman.
That was classic. The walk-on music Letterman picked for when Zevon walked out on stage was "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead." The look on Letterman's face as he was watching for Zevon's reaction was priceless - "Oh, god, I hope I didn't go too far this time..." Zevon looked startled for a second, and then just burst out laughing. That was a great spontaneous moment.

The two were very good friends, and Letterman spent the whole show that night with Zevon as his only guest. It was a very memorable night.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:47 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
Jason Robards was dying from cancer while in Magnolia
You beat me to it.... and most of his "acting" was in a hospital bed as the terminally ill father.

William Hickey always looked sick, really gaunt & coughing & raspy voice & I thought he was probably dying when I saw him in Prizzi's Honor, he was the Mafia Don. He lasted quite a long time though after that.

A clever current HBO series Silicon Valley had a high tech CEO played by Christopher Welch who got cancer & died after a few episodes, they had to write around that, a young man in a good part.

And no one has mentioned Richard Pryor's last film yet? I've only seen parts of it because he looked so bad but was trying so hard...

Old 10-16-2015, 10:28 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,434,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post

William Hickey always looked sick, really gaunt & coughing & raspy voice & I thought he was probably dying when I saw him in Prizzi's Honor, he was the Mafia Don. He lasted quite a long time though after that.
He always looked so frail...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts