Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 03:49 PM

23,550 posts, read 70,038,361 times

Advertisements

Sorry easthome, but the Brit sound engineers have a lot of failings. There are times when I've repeated a scene more than once and STILL not been able to decipher what was said. Example: watch "QI" and note how many time Alan Davies jokes and comments are drowned out by audience noise. It sometimes seems like mixers are a foreign concept to these guys. Set and forget, go out for tea.

Add in Manchusian, Geordie, and other accents and regionalisms and trying to understand Brit fare can be a huge problem. I don't deny that this side of the pond has a huge issue with special effects volume, but sound is one area where Brit productions are just not up to par.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 04:43 AM

14,813 posts, read 11,922,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sorry easthome, but the Brit sound engineers have a lot of failings. There are times when I've repeated a scene more than once and STILL not been able to decipher what was said. Example: watch "QI" and note how many time Alan Davies jokes and comments are drowned out by audience noise. It sometimes seems like mixers are a foreign concept to these guys. Set and forget, go out for tea.

Add in Manchusian, Geordie, and other accents and regionalisms and trying to understand Brit fare can be a huge problem. I don't deny that this side of the pond has a huge issue with special effects volume, but sound is one area where Brit productions are just not up to par.
Sorry harry chickpea, but the Canadian sound engineers have a lot of failings. There are times when I've repeated a scene more than once and STILL not been able to decipher what was said. Example: watch "Murdoch Mysteries" and note how many times Yannick Bisson comments are drowned out by background noise. It sometimes seems like mixers are a foreign concept to these guys. Set and forget, go out for Maple Syrup.

Add in Vancouvern, Torontian, and other accents and regionalisms and trying to understand Canadian fare can be a huge problem. I don't deny that this side of the pond has a huge issue with audience volume, but sound is one area where Canadian productions are just not up to par.

Its funny but I never have any problems at all understanding what's being said on British TV programs.................I wonder why that is???

Old 02-14-2016, 11:23 AM

23,550 posts, read 70,038,361 times
Sorry easthome, but even Stephen Fry, who did an entire tv series on language, "Fry's Planet Word," can't understand what gets said in merrie auld England..

Old 02-18-2016, 09:51 PM

389 posts, read 420,188 times
I think it's very common. My husband and I watched Son's of Anarchy every week, and we loved the show. However, I can't tell you how many times I had to rewind and turn up the volume to understand what someone was saying. Drove me crazy!
That show was consistently like that, but I've noticed it on others. Watching Code Black now, and I often can't follow the crazy hectic scene conversations because the background noise is so loud.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:41 PM

350 posts, read 412,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrelevant View Post
This is a question aimed at the native english speakers. I am not a native speaker myself but watch movies/tv only in english and also speak it throughout most of the day because of work. At the end of the day I often use english more than my native language. I very rarely find a word/phrase I can't understand and over the time have developed a very good understanding of the language.

It has always bothered me that when I watch tv/movies I don't always get everything they are saying. Don't get me wrong - I understand every word the actors are saying... until there is a gunfight or some other very loud scene and I miss a couple of words. I decided to test if it's a language fallacy or some other problem and watched some media in my own native language. Turns out I once again didn't catch 100% of what the actors were saying. Is that like normal? Do native english speakers also miss a couple of words when the movie goes into some action sequence? Or am I just weird?

When I rent a movie I love putting on the subtitles. Sometimes the sound quality
on the movie is horrible.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:44 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,977,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
And sometimes it is because we have a hearing impairment and don't realize it and instead blame the actor.

I worried about that for awhile, until I realized I had no problem understanding the dialog in older movies and TV shows.

That leaves one cause.....today's actors and sound engineers have gotten sloppy.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:37 PM

51,941 posts, read 52,363,041 times
Sometimes I struggle trying to understand Scottish people when they speak. I'm like are these people even speaking f ing English... LOL...The Irish can be a bit tough to understand too, I actually like both of the accents. You get a guy with a thick cockney accent and we're done. I don't think even English people can decipher what the heck they are saying.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:51 PM

7,573 posts, read 5,291,244 times
Another problem is the obnoxious idea that music has to play in the background of every bloody scene!

Old 02-25-2016, 05:55 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,201,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
I agree, the actors are mumbling more. I have good hearing, but I've had to rewind and listen multiple times to make out what is being said on occasion, between the mumbling and the background noise.
If this is at home, much of it is recorded in 5.1 and you need a center speaker to hear dialogue well. If you have hearing loss, then turning up center speaker may help. Otherwise a hearing aid may be needed.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:15 PM

7,573 posts, read 5,291,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
If this is at home, much of it is recorded in 5.1 and you need a center speaker to hear dialogue well. If you have hearing loss, then turning up center speaker may help. Otherwise a hearing aid may be needed.
Hearing aids suck for TV, I use a wireless headset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts