Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 04:24 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times

Advertisements

Im sorry buddy,I wasnt referrering to your comment but the main subject of my thread...

Im sorry.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 11:29 PM

511 posts, read 402,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im sorry buddy,I wasnt referrering to your comment but the main subject of my thread...

Im sorry.....
So, have you ever heard anything straight off a 2"?

Old 07-22-2016, 12:53 AM

No buddy I havent,have you? (Not that I know of I havent)

Old 07-22-2016, 02:32 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
I am usually with you on the quality in society decreasing as the years went by but this is where I have to disagree.
Music is my biggest eliminator of stress whether it makes me have all the emotions exhaust out of me or just simply relaxes me it is one of the few things that have helped me cope so it doesn't matter what form it is in. If I like the artist and it is coherent enough for me to hear the instruments and the vocals then it's not that big of a deal

Digital does make it more clearer though. I grew up with cassette types as well as the regular radio and I haven't noticed a decrease in quality. Cassette tapes tend to be more durable than a CD which is unfortunate but with a CD that has not been compromised it is more clearer than a cassette tape. As a kid I listened to some records and it's pretty much the same thing.

That being said I do try to buy CDs when I can instead of digital tracks if I really admire the artist so sometimes I miss the days where it was more about album art and there's just something to be said about being able to go to a store and holding the form of music in your hands. I also find that I get more out of it. If I want more than a single song to buy that same album digitally might cost me more. However I will download plenty of music too so I can do either but it is easy to find a track that will not be as good in sound quality as a CD. It's just not a significant difference to the point where I have to obtain all my music that way. Plus I'm more into random songs so barring a few artists these days it is more valuable for me to download music than buy the CD. Again it doesn't really matter in general how I get the songs. I do have a preference for one or the other at certain times but music is music to me.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
No buddy I havent,have you? (Not that I know of I havent)
Yes I have. I've been studying music production on the side for the last six years or so. It started as a means to get my band's recordings sounding good and now I'm pretty deep into it.

I ask because you may not know how analog actually sounds outside of something mastered, cut, and pressed to vinyl. What analog mediums are you listening to your music on?

Last edited by Mr_Polymath; 07-24-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 06:42 PM

Records,cassettes,VHS and 8 tracks

Records sound the BEST (VHS sounds good too IF ITS 100% analog on the tape)

Old 07-24-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Records,cassettes,VHS and 8 tracks

Records sound the BEST (VHS sounds good too IF ITS 100% analog on the tape)
Betamax actually had the best audio so far as the tape mediums went, and got used as such a bit even after it failed to catch on in the consumer market...

...but seriously, if you think the audio on 4- or 8-track cassettes sounds better than a non-lossy digital playback through good converters, you sir have no place making bold statements about audio quality. They were awful formats.

Also, where the crap are you getting VHS masters of anything? Is there somewhere you can buy 'Dark Side Of The Moon' or whatnot mastered straight from the 2" to VHS or Betamax?

Another question for you, digital hater: How do you know that the music on your tapes or vinyl never went through A/D and D/A converters at some point in time... particularly during the mastering stage, where it's pretty common to apply automated/surgical EQ to the mixdown?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:24 AM

Well a digital master sounds flat and void!!!!!!!!

Analogue sounds beautiful... Im listening to my Woodstock 69 records now,absolutetly georgeous

Old 07-30-2016, 03:22 AM

Your reading comprehension leaves a bit to be desired...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts