Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 01:23 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times

Advertisements

Like he gives a flying intercourse. He's one of the most successful people in his industry, as an actor and a filmmaker. His list of cinematic achievements rivals that of anyone who has ever lived. If he never works again he will be in the top 10 in Hollywood for at least the next 1500 years.

And that is what the leftists really hate. Why. Because ENVY is what makes a leftist tick, and they hate achievement and excellence. And who else in Hollywood has as long a history as Clint with respect to achievements and excellence? Very few indeed.

Oh and anyone who missed Gran Torino: What a great movie! Watch it. Even the dopiest liberal can enjoy that achievement.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:34 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Remember this is the same Hollywood who still supports Roman Polanski despite raping a 13 year old girl and Woody Allen who had sex with his underage stepdaughter.

But they probably think someone should be denounced for their political views, provided they're conservative, of course.

And for the record, I despise Trump and will never support him under any circumstances. But it's still a free country and Eastwood is still allowed to say whatever he wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Perhaps you should spend some time reading about Roman Polanski's youth and young adulthood before you condemn him for not following your personal code of conduct. And the term is statutory rape, not just 'rape'.
Like all good liberals, you just have to twist other people's words to suit your own point of view.
She comments on the hypocrisy of Hollywood for embracing sex offenders while shunning those with simple conservative views.
Polanski did survive the Warsaw Ghetto, and saw horrible things as a youth. So did thousands of others. It doesn't excuse him, at the age of 44, having sex with a 13 year old. While you are stuck on semantics, it is of little importance to the conversation of this thread that he plead guilty to statutory rape, not rape. That is you trying to act like you know more than anybody else here. We are not impressed.

I join carny gal in her belief that those adults who have sex with 13 yr olds offend our personal code of conduct. Obviously, you feel different. That is why this is a great country. Even people like you who apparently support sexual predators have the right to air their disgusting views. I wonder if you would feel differently if the victim was a family member of yours?

Old 08-08-2016, 01:58 AM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
I just read the Clint Eastwood statement. I didn't see anything wrong with it. He was saying that we should ignore Trumps racism and 'just get over it'.. What's wrong with that.

Often the conservatives are very anti-woman. They think that women should be barefoot and pregnant. That goes along with the conservative religions. Nobody raises much of a stink about misogynism. That one is a deal breaker for me. I don't care about the politics as much as the attitude. There is no candidate who can fix the problems. It's a lose lose.

I didn't think that Clint was out of line. That was his opinion and he did not agree with the racism. He just said to get over it and vote for the candidate who can best serve the country. That was a paraphrase but that is what he was saying.

He used to be Mayor of some town in California so he is not politically ignorant.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:27 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
I disagree with Eastwood but isn't this country founded on the principle of free speech? There is a reason why it's the *first* amendment. And I hope that someone would rise to defend my occasionally quirky opinions even though I'm not a Hollywood star.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:30 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
some say Hollywood should stop funding his films and actors should refuse to work with him
For an industry that prides itself on going great lengths to deny that it will be censored, that would be a pretty hypocritical attitude to take.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:08 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,893 times
why is it a crime only when you speak out against dems? it's so funny how nobody in this country is allowed to have an opinion.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:08 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Clint Eastwood could not care less about political correctness. He is old and rich and is not dependent upon others if he chooses to keep working.
I heard that Antonio Sabato was getting blow back from appearing at the RNC convention. Nobody I know really stifles what they say about things, so this issue is media driven...the outrage du jour.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:31 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Whether you agree with Mr. Eastwood's remarks or not, you must realize that this is not a freedom of speech issue. The First Amendment applies only to governmental actions regarding speech, not private industry. Indeed, some of you may awake in the morning to find your comments deleted for not following the rules of this subforum. And we all may awaken to find the thread has been closed for the same reason.
This one get's a little grey though.

Meaning, what if the people in power use that power to help their friends and in exchange their friends help to punish their enemies and rivals? At that point, it IS a free-speech issue the mechanism however is not a direct government action but a subtle indirect move.

If you're a chummy, big-time Clinton donor and you were to start black-balling someone like Eastwood....it's a very fair discussion to question whether or not it's a free speech issue.

P.S. Lots of countries have had trouble with government\media lines being blurred and how the media is run by their allies.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:46 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I denouce Clint Eastwood because I'm looking out for myself. Anyone who would defend Trump, in my eyes, is a threat to me.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I will add more. I've considered some of Trump's rhetoric. He will even go at Blacks. I'm Black. I feel like if he would do things like that, he might want to do things to me. I don't trust him. This is the same person who retweeted a Neo-Nazi tweet regarding Blacks, then claimed "I don't check my sources". The fact that Clint Eastwood is defending Trump tells me this: Eastwood most likely shares those views. Anyone who shares bigoted views scares me. Why?

If you are thinking those things, you could do those things. I have to look out for my personal interests. Eastwood say "when I was young, we didn't call those things racist". Of course not. He was born in 1930. Last I checked, Jim Crow was alive and well back then. Lynchings took place back then. As someone who is know to find many females outside of my race attractive, Clint Eastwood's youth would have been a horrible time for me. Trump is scary to me, but his supporters scare me more. This is not about political correctness for me. This is about who I can trust. This is about looking out for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts