Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 02:08 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times

Advertisements

I've never won a lottery, even the ones that require you to show up to see if you won.

I don't know if Hamilton will ever have discount tickets. Sometimes, the discounted price is still unaffordable. I think Lion King is now discounted, but it' still higher than other discounted shows. No show is worth the price of my monthly NY gas and electric bill. There are just too many cheaper entertainment options around. I still want to see Wicked, but even the discount tickets are too expensive for me. Probably cheaper to drive to another city and get road tour tix. I rarely spend more than 60 dollars with all the fees included for Broadway shows and I have seen some "hit" musicals during their first year at that price. I hate the Tkts booth because the seats are usually on the side. Best bet is to get some sort of discount on your own or through an organization and pick up the tickets directly from the box office to avoid ticket master charges. I'm a history buff so I know some of Hamilton's bio, but the tickets would have to be really cheap before I went because the score doesn't appeal to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 12:51 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I've never won a lottery, even the ones that require you to show up to see if you won.

I don't know if Hamilton will ever have discount tickets. Sometimes, the discounted price is still unaffordable. I think Lion King is now discounted, but it' still higher than other discounted shows. No show is worth the price of my monthly NY gas and electric bill. There are just too many cheaper entertainment options around. I still want to see Wicked, but even the discount tickets are too expensive for me. Probably cheaper to drive to another city and get road tour tix. I rarely spend more than 60 dollars with all the fees included for Broadway shows and I have seen some "hit" musicals during their first year at that price. I hate the Tkts booth because the seats are usually on the side. Best bet is to get some sort of discount on your own or through an organization and pick up the tickets directly from the box office to avoid ticket master charges. I'm a history buff so I know some of Hamilton's bio, but the tickets would have to be really cheap before I went because the score doesn't appeal to me.
It might be different in NYC... but in Toronto where I am from some times if people can't make an event they post their tickets for sale of kijij and craigslist. I got last minute Matilda tickets that way and they were amazing seats and I paid 1/2 price. It was literally like 3 hours before the show started.

Hamilton won't be in my city for a while.... but I am going to be rushing to grab the cheap seats as soon as they are on sale or may just buy a theater subscription for that year to ensure I actually do get tickets at my desired price point.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:53 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Try entering the online lottery each day. It's a (very) long shot, and even if you win, you'll only get 2 tickets (I think $10 a piece?) but it's worth a try.
I love the lottery idea. They did that for Wicked once when it was in Toronto. I can't even remember if I got tickets that way ... but at least if gives you a shot.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:23 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
It might be different in NYC... but in Toronto where I am from some times if people can't make an event they post their tickets for sale of kijij and craigslist. I got last minute Matilda tickets that way and they were amazing seats and I paid 1/2 price. It was literally like 3 hours before the show started.
Sure, people sell their unused Hamilton tickets on Stubhub, Craigslist, etc. ... many of them sell for literally thousands of dollars per seat. The resale market for Hamilton tix is RIDICULOUSLY overpriced.

There's no such thing as "cheap seats" when it comes to Ham.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:04 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,013 times
I randomly heard 'The Reynolds Pamphlet' song and thought the female vocalist was incredible.

'Angelicaaaaaaa!!!!! All the way from London?!? DAMN!!!'

Old 10-27-2017, 02:23 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Sure, people sell their unused Hamilton tickets on Stubhub, Craigslist, etc. ... many of them sell for literally thousands of dollars per seat. The resale market for Hamilton tix is RIDICULOUSLY overpriced.

There's no such thing as "cheap seats" when it comes to Ham.
My friend got a last minute Stubhub discount for around $80 each on Stubhub. This was an hour before showtime and he basically bought the tickets and ran out the door on and on the Red Line.

I had 4 tickets, but sold them all. Wish I bought more.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:22 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

Hamilton won't be in my city for a while.... but I am going to be rushing to grab the cheap seats as soon as they are on sale or may just buy a theater subscription for that year to ensure I actually do get tickets at my desired price point.
I saw Matilda the year that they closed the show for $49 per ticket. I used a regular discount code and picked them up at the box office at the theater in NYC. Matilda had been heavily discounted for some time. So is Phantom, A Bronx Tale. Others, like Wicked, Lion King, which have been around for a very long time, are still pretty expensive even though they are now on "regular" discount online sites or the tkts booth. Amazing how someone snatched Hamilton from Stub Hub. That was very lucky and very unusual.

If you really wanted to see Hamilton and live in Toronto, a trip to New York wouldn't make much difference relatively to the $700 tickets for the show. You could essentially come for the day just to see the show or drive and stay over one night.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:55 PM

453 posts, read 344,682 times
I saw it on Broadway in July with my boyfriend. I'm seeing it again with my mom in February. She's looking forward to it. I think the rapping is slow enough for her to pick up most of the lyrics without missing crucial parts.

I felt the second act was a bit slow and there were a stunning amount of songs. I think I could have done without a couple of them.

I find the history fascinating, especially since I live in a historic area that was crucial during the Revolutionary War. Morristown, where Alexander met Elizabeth, is the town over from me. Seeing the show has made me research more about the key figures and important locations.

For those unable to get tickets, sign up for their mailing list. You will get emails as new batches of tickets go on sale. If you are quick, you can buy normal-priced tickets. I have gotten 4 sets of tickets this way. July 2017 and January, February and June 2018.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:58 PM

453 posts, read 344,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Broadway Week. 2 for 1 tickets for many shows. It happens twice a year and lasts for 2 weeks. February and September (slower times for Broadway). Wicked and Lion King have both been part of it the last several times. That's when I saw both of those shows. They are excellent shows and I would not hesitate to pay full price for them but it was nice paying half price instead.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:20 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Supply and demand, it's the American way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts