Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:12 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times

Advertisements

This is a very controversial subject but I think I read in a paper once one of the reasons for the lack of quality in mainstream entertainment across the globe may be due to the world's IQ dropping. This is called the negative Flynn effect. Apparently, pre-industrial societies favored intelligence and character while it's not as needed in industrial societies, i.e. we're getting lazy. There isn't a need as much to think outside the box or take that extra creative step. So over the decades we've been producing generations with lower IQs. I am not sure if this is the correct interpretation of the data I am reading but for the most part, 'we're sinking in in terms of intelligence.

Now of course, in a post modern context, you could say that it takes intelligence to understand how build an empire out of reality TV such as the Kardashians but that is assuming that money is the end goal of all intelligent people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 12:34 PM

56 posts, read 46,911 times
Mainstream media isn't for everyone, obviously. I recommend checking out independent films, foreign, documentaries and art. Go looking for something that floats your boat. Try a new genre of music even if you don't think you'll like it. Put down the remote; I don't think you'll find much there at all

Old 02-03-2018, 11:20 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
This is a very controversial subject but I think I read in a paper once one of the reasons for the lack of quality in mainstream entertainment across the globe may be due to the world's IQ dropping. This is called the negative Flynn effect. Apparently, pre-industrial societies favored intelligence and character while it's not as needed in industrial societies, i.e. we're getting lazy. There isn't a need as much to think outside the box or take that extra creative step. So over the decades we've been producing generations with lower IQs. I am not sure if this is the correct interpretation of the data I am reading but for the most part, 'we're sinking in in terms of intelligence.

Now of course, in a post modern context, you could say that it takes intelligence to understand how build an empire out of reality TV such as the Kardashians but that is assuming that money is the end goal of all intelligent people.
What's your take on what is called media consolidation, especially on a potential global scale?

Old 02-05-2018, 01:03 AM

510 posts, read 370,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Comedians - a couple made me laugh in my teens, but now I find them all boring. There's something about attaching the "comedy" label that instantly makes me think "canned humor" (which I guess is what comedy is). I remember watching movies with friends or at school and it seemed like everyone instantly laughed during certain scenes, but I had absolutely no reaction. I would often fake a laugh to not seem too weird. Kevin Hart, Dane Cook, Will Ferrell, Louis C.K., Schumer, etc - hearing them makes me want to start clawing my eye out.

I also find about 90% movies and 95% of popular tv shows to be unentertaining. Most of my friends can talk non-stop about tons of tv shows and movies. In the last 10 years the only tv show I've watched was Breaking Bad (watched it all 4 months ago in about two weeks). After watching that I was craving more, but couldn't stand to watch more than 1 episode of anything else I tried. I have absolutely nothing on TV that I MUST watch - if I'm flipping through I'll typically stop at the news, Shark Tank, American Greed, Lockup, 600lb Life, Intervention or sports.

So are there any other people like me who aren't easily entertained like 99% of people seem to be? In some ways it's a blessing because you get more done, but in some ways it's a curse because you don't get the all the joy of being entertained.

BTW - I've never downloaded any music either. The only music I listen to is a little bit of country on the radio while driving. I know almost nothing about who sings what or who's in what band. This is another conversation killer when talking to people because everyone loves music.

Is an area of my brain not functioning?
''

Try some music on You Tube. *Almost* everything that has ever been recorded seems to be on there. If you have a favorite type of music, favorite era of music, favorite song you want to hear anytime, favorite artist that you want more songs from. Besides more songs by favorite artists, when you've heard all those, they'll suggest other artists that sound like your favorites. You can discuss your fav vids with fans.

Also you can go to favorite artists websites and if they are still active, they'll fill you in on their lives musically and often personally. You Tube has interviews, band history, thousands of fans commenting on videos, music contests. Ads may be after more popular music, moderately popular songs you can skip ads within 5 seconds, less popular no ads. You can pay a small fee after 30 day free trial if you can't stand even short ads. Often fans provide lyrics or videos of concerts if the band doesn't. Videos can be very creative with many people places and themes. Personal viewing of these vids w/ads doesn't cost anything.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:51 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
I understand it is supposed to be the opiate of the masses but I am just not entertained by Disney.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:37 PM

343 posts, read 229,404 times
With film and tv yes I'd agree. I agree so very very much with comedians not being entertaining anymore. There's a lack of "cleverness" in general. Some of the big names in comedy I truly loathe- Amy Schumer, Sarah Silverman- omg they are so awful!

But I disagree about music. Music is global and ever-evolving. I might not like the popular stuff but I find new music to like continuously. I just don't bother with pop radio.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:43 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
This thread makes me miss Bob Newhart-type comedy all the more!

They just don't make comedians like that anymore!

Old 02-16-2018, 03:31 PM

343 posts, read 229,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
This thread makes me miss Bob Newhart-type comedy all the more!

They just don't make comedians like that anymore!
I hate to admit it but yeah. That's the kind of smarter humor I like. I don't even have to go back that far- to Mary Tyler Moore and Dick Van Dyke (these were before my time but still funny when I was growing up). I grew up with Robin Williams, George Carlin and the like. Later on Jerry Sienfeld stole the show even though I thought his humor was a bit dry- he still got laughs out of me. So just because someone gets on stage and talks dirty- well it's just not enough for a laugh. I think those comics are best left to the heavy drinking crowd who will laugh at anything. Clearly the comics I like have a "potty mouth" but they do have something clever to back it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts