Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 04:04 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times

Advertisements

TV? Who needs it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 04:04 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
I'd miss YouTube but I'd still pick the option of giving up tv for a year rather than giving up internet for a year. I'd feel far more cut off with no internet.
That is the key. The internet is interactive and the available content is way more diverse. When I had to repair my snowblower last year did I turn on the TV to find out how to fix it? No, I searched on the internet and found someone who posted a video on how to repair the particular model snowblower I possess. It all comes back to the fact that TV is just crap produced by Hollywood while the internet contains valuable knowledge, although we must sift through some crap to find it sometimes.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:24 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
I haven't sat down to watch TV in years. I work on the internet (and do pretty much everything else). No brainer for me.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:27 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
I'm actually dropping the NET this winter and keeping the financials and oddball sports channels for the winter (track and field, tennis, World Poker Tour, etc.) I'm getting a winterized sit down ATV and getting out more on the ranch. The grizz are all asleep by November. I think.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:40 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
This thread is very timely because my mother and I were just discussing this today. For me, I'd rather give up the TV because I can always watch any favorite shows on my laptop or iPhone but since she is 82 and not computer/smartphone/internet savvy she said she would rather give up the internet.
Well, my mother's the same way. Still watches cable TV. However, my parents did get a streaming box, so even though they only use a fraction of the internet like many of us here do, they did up their data usage b/c of that streaming box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
That is the key. The internet is interactive and the available content is way more diverse. When I had to repair my snowblower last year did I turn on the TV to find out how to fix it? No, I searched on the internet and found someone who posted a video on how to repair the particular model snowblower I possess. It all comes back to the fact that TV is just crap produced by Hollywood while the internet contains valuable knowledge, although we must sift through some crap to find it sometimes.
Basically, when the "TV types" realized the internet became the place more people of the world flocked to, they realized they needed to shift their wares there. Ditto with when people flocked to smart phones.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:46 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
It would be far easier for me to give up television, but it would be better for my mental health to give up the internet. Only spanner in the works would be dealing with my financial life, which is for the most part on-line.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:09 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
I dumped cable because I can get all the movies, series, shows, news, sports, music, etc., that I want through Netflix, Amazon Video, and SlingTV, as well as a ton of free apps on my Roku 2. I get the local channels in HD through an antenna. I do miss not having the government channels readily available, but can probably find them somewhere online. I don't miss having to pay for 150 channels, of which I maybe watched a handful with any regularity.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
But all of you who would give up TV would be missing intelligent programing, like "The naked and afraid marathon" !

Ya know, I would have loved to be in that first board meeting when some idiot said " I have this great idea for a new show. We put a couple of naked people in the jungle and watch them survive !" Even worse would be the idiots who said "GREAT IDEA !! "

I too would give up my TV before my computer.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:53 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
I can go without TV.

Been going without it since 2003.

My only tv is up in the attic somewhere, it's a big ol' 19". lol...

Old 08-10-2017, 09:56 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
One of the easiest choices. I can't live without the internet while I can't remember the last time i sat and watched TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts