Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 10:46 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times

Advertisements

Just got on another buying kick, a certain prolific actress of the 70s on, who has TV movies galore. One would think her movies out there would be plentiful and cheap.

It's gone, the market is gone. I'm seeing people who have a high opinion of themselves charging from $30 to $120ish for TV movie flicks.

I can "understand" that as the market dries up that less of a supply can mean to charge more.......but do they really think a Hallmark flick is work over $100?

As it was, I was able to find a decent collection for decent prices, TV movies and mini series, but it is not as easy as it was a few years ago.

Even the theatre movies are no longer cheap. In my searching, I came across the title of "Goodbye Columbus" and it sounded interesting, so I decided to look it up. $12.99 to buy it streamed, $44 to $128 to get it as a DVD.

SIGH! We may have left the Video stores behind but it seems we are back to the VHS prices of the 80s to get our own copies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Which is why I keep my extensive collection of VHS and other material.

Around here, theatre movies ARE cheap. $5 first run matinee.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:18 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Just got on another buying kick, a certain prolific actress of the 70s on, who has TV movies galore. One would think her movies out there would be plentiful and cheap.

It's gone, the market is gone. I'm seeing people who have a high opinion of themselves charging from $30 to $120ish for TV movie flicks.

I can "understand" that as the market dries up that less of a supply can mean to charge more.......but do they really think a Hallmark flick is work over $100?

As it was, I was able to find a decent collection for decent prices, TV movies and mini series, but it is not as easy as it was a few years ago.

Even the theatre movies are no longer cheap. In my searching, I came across the title of "Goodbye Columbus" and it sounded interesting, so I decided to look it up. $12.99 to buy it streamed, $44 to $128 to get it as a DVD.

SIGH! We may have left the Video stores behind but it seems we are back to the VHS prices of the 80s to get our own copies.
As someone who sells video gems on eBay, we sell for what the market will bear. So, if we have a DVD or VHS for something that’s rare, we check various places and set a price based on that.

Some people might decide to charge 100 bucks, but if the prevailing price is 25, they aren’t going to sell it. But...if the price to sell is 100, I’m going to go for that 100.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:04 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,012 times
Quote:
...In my searching, I came across the title of "Goodbye Columbus" and it sounded interesting, so I decided to look it up. $12.99 to buy it streamed, $44 to $128 to get it as a DVD.
Weird - it must have become some sort of collector's item. I looked it up and got the same price you did, but found similar movies (or what Amazon thinks are similar) at reasonable prices - Love Story (you still get to see Ali McGraw), $5.99; Marjorie Morningstar, $13.99.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Weird - it must have become some sort of collector's item. I looked it up and got the same price you did, but found similar movies (or what Amazon thinks are similar) at reasonable prices - Love Story (you still get to see Ali McGraw), $5.99; Marjorie Morningstar, $13.99.
Well, I guess it is one of those weird things in that I don't have much interest in seeing Ms. McGraw (but Richard Benjamin is always a good draw) and yet, I did go head over heels on ordering flicks by the unnamed TV actress.

As it is, the story intrigues me but I guess I should just try to find the book.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:29 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,012 times
The book was better than the movie. Philip Roth is a capable author.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:08 AM

1,743 posts, read 991,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
As someone who sells video gems on eBay, we sell for what the market will bear. So, if we have a DVD or VHS for something that’s rare, we check various places and set a price based on that.

Some people might decide to charge 100 bucks, but if the prevailing price is 25, they aren’t going to sell it. But...if the price to sell is 100, I’m going to go for that 100.
I wonder what a DVD of Song Of The South is going for?
(Talk about rare)

Old 10-09-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
I wonder what a DVD of Song Of The South is going for?
(Talk about rare)
Song of The South 1946 (DVD)

$12-25.

Ebay and watch the cost go up.......
Song of The South: DVDs & Movies | eBay

https://www.lovingtheclassics.com/so...SAAEgI55_D_BwE

Twenty bucks.

Can't say about any the companies, I don't use them.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:04 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Song of The South 1946 (DVD)

$12-25.

Ebay and watch the cost go up.......
Song of The South: DVDs & Movies | eBay

https://www.lovingtheclassics.com/so...SAAEgI55_D_BwE

Twenty bucks.

Can't say about any the companies, I don't use them.
Well, that is a thing. Can’t tell you how many times husband has bought box sets cheap, broken them up and sold the movies individually and quadrupled his money.

And yes, often, you can the movie cheaper at different outlets, but sometimes they don’t really have it and alit of times the person buying on eBay doesn’t have access to that other website — foreign customer. And sometimes people just impulse buy on eBay.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:24 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. Do you mean the actors have a high opinion of themselves to charge $30-$120 for TV movies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts