Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 02:53 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,722 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't pay for Hulu. We watch it free on Yahoo View, with commercials. TV shows air on free Hulu a week or so after they're on TV. We only watch a few shows there, like Agents of SHIELD, Designated Survivor, The Brave, a couple others. Netflix is our main entertainment, but we also watch a lot of documentaries free on youtube, there are tons of them.

Here are the free Hulu shows if you want to check that out: https://view.yahoo.com/browse/tv/gen...ecent/episodes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 04:09 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
thanks all-this has been a very helpful thread for me.

I'm still sitting here watching Netflix-FREE-and have no idea why. It's only just this one TV. There are 3 others in the house but on them you are asked to sign up,credit card infor, etc
Do you have kids? Gradkids? If one of them, or their friends, watched Netflix on your TV, it stores the log-on. This has happened with friends of ours in FL. This happened with both Netflix and Amazon Prime that their grandkids watched on their TV in the den

When you click on Netflix, you should see email address of acct.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
I pay for Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix.. I recently cancelled cable and signed up for YouTube TV

Anything available online, you'll get with the three streaming options. All do some good series and if you don't have one, they'll have something you want.

Youtube TV.. I picked that up simply because I'm out in the country and don't get good OTA reception for some channels. YouTube TV gives me local channels, plus a large selection of GOOD cable stations.. All NBC and Fox owned cable stations, basically. I get BBCA, NBC, Fox, CBS, ABC and CW local stations.. USA, Fx, Fxx and the like. Watch on the regular TV via a Chromecast Ultra. I should drop this until Better Call Saul starts back up.. But, Youtube TV offers DVR functionality, too.. So, it has an on-demand component to it.

Works out to about $65 a month for all the above. Still less than cable.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:40 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Do you have kids? Gradkids? If one of them, or their friends, watched Netflix on your TV, it stores the log-on. This has happened with friends of ours in FL. This happened with both Netflix and Amazon Prime that their grandkids watched on their TV in the den

When you click on Netflix, you should see email address of acct.
I do see someone's email account

Old 03-15-2018, 06:15 PM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
I do see someone's email account
Did you buy the TV used? Or open box?

Old 03-15-2018, 06:46 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Did you buy the TV used? Or open box?
no,new tv but the cable company brought out the genies that go to individual tvs

Old 03-15-2018, 07:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,952 times
You can't completely replace cable or satellite tv with those services unless you are willing to forgo broadcast network and local programming, and cable news and sports. Hulu offers some network programming (usually a day later than over-the-air), but Netflix is mostly original programming, foreign imports, movies, and television shows a season or more behind schedule.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:11 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,447 times
I have both, and honestly, I use hulu way more than Netflix. Netflix is the superior streaming service for new and original shows. Some of their shows are awesome. However, since I don't have cable nor a dvr anymore, I find hulu more attractive. Even though most of the channels are not cable channels, it is convenient for me to stream. And yes, I do pay the $12 for no commercials.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
thanks all-this has been a very helpful thread for me.

I'm still sitting here watching Netflix-FREE-and have no idea why. It's only just this one TV. There are 3 others in the house but on them you are asked to sign up,credit card infor, etc
Maybe a 30 day free offer that works for one tv/main connection

IMO
Hulu is mainly way for people to get cable w/o paying higher prices
It has lot of regular, current season shows on a delay option
It also has some programming from UK and other services

Netflix has more to offer and more original programming but you may not care for MOST of what is there
Do you read every book in the library or just have certain authors and genres that you read most of the time and only use other sections rarely for special needs...

Old 03-16-2018, 09:01 AM

651 posts, read 407,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
You can't completely replace cable or satellite tv with those services unless you are willing to forgo broadcast network and local programming, and cable news and sports. Hulu offers some network programming (usually a day later than over-the-air), but Netflix is mostly original programming, foreign imports, movies, and television shows a season or more behind schedule.
I get local TV in HD quality directly through the wall cable (CBS, ABC, NBC etc). No cable box or cable service other than $40 internet fee. Netflix covers everything else for me entertainment wise.. Oh, and I watch my sports online with my laptop hooked up through HDMI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts