Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 08:54 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else think the "America, the Beautiful" would be a good choice for the national anthem?

Some people think that the Star Spangled Banner should be replaced.

The main suggestion is God Bless America. While I have no objection to the content, I just never liked this melody. It's my least favorite of all three songs.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 11:48 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
I recently heard some athletes from France singing their national anthem, La Marseillaise, and thought it must be cool to have a national anthem that sounds more like a triumphant victory charge than a sappy tear-jerker.

Not sure what that song would be for us though.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:50 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I recently heard some athletes from France singing their national anthem, La Marseillaise, and thought it must be cool to have a national anthem that sounds more like a triumphant victory charge than a sappy tear-jerker.

Not sure what that song would be for us though.
I agree. That's why I don't like "God Bless America" because it is the sappiest of the three.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:01 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
America the beautiful is a nice song. I can't imagine how difficult it is for children or immigrants to learn all the octaves and words to Star Spangled Banner. It must be a nightmare having a tone deaf person singing it beside you lol.

Our crazy PM decided that O Canada wasn't politically correct and changed some words to become gender neutral without doing any kind of survey.

I think more than half of Canadians think it was a stupid change, me included. Sometimes trying to be politically correct is simply ridiculous IMO.

The line in question:
"in all thy sons command" has now been officially replaced with "in all of us command."

Old 07-08-2018, 12:30 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
While America the Beautiful is a wonderful tribute for our country, there is no need to change the National Anthem because of some revisionist revolution.

Oh yeah, let's get rid of statues, flags and songs because the past was so bad??

No that's our history. That's how we got here today. That's what makes us unique.

We overcame the issues of the past and will overcome the issues of the present and future

Old 07-08-2018, 12:41 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else think the "America, the Beautiful" would be a good choice for the national anthem?

Some people think that the Star Spangled Banner should be replaced.

The main suggestion is God Bless America. While I have no objection to the content, I just never liked this melody. It's my least favorite of all three songs.

What do you think?
I think if people were aware of all the verses of the song, they might not consider it so PC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/genius....autiful-lyrics

Old 07-08-2018, 08:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
While America the Beautiful is a wonderful tribute for our country, there is no need to change the National Anthem because of some revisionist revolution.

Oh yeah, let's get rid of statues, flags and songs because the past was so bad??

No that's our history. That's how we got here today. That's what makes us unique.

We overcame the issues of the past and will overcome the issues of the present and future
I'm gonna have to disagree with you. I want the national anthem changed from "Star Spangled Banner" to "America The Beautiful". I don't know any other country with as technical of song like the "Star Spangled Banner" is. "God Save the Queen" was re-worded into "My Country Tis of Thee" and "Oh Canada" is super easy to sing along with during hockey games (I can't help it, I'm part Canadian on my father's side.) I mean a lot of us have issues singing it, even musicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts