Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 10:48 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I still get my paper newspaper every day, but that's about it. For music I really like Alexa, she's got my whole library on tap and easy to use. Plus she's good for some other stuff like trivia.

I still get a daily newspaper (2 on Sunday ), real books from the library, and CDs (although I still have lots of vinyl), I always liked the artwork of LPs as well as the liner notes telling me who played what on each track and other info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 06:11 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
The old media is still around, just might have to look around more a bit for it.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:55 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
I still mostly listen to cassettes. Though I own hundreds of CD's, I have never liked the sound of digital music as much as analog. I buy CD's because that is what is available. They seem prone to getting stuck in automobile CD players. This kills the player.

Well made records offer the best sound but cassettes are so convenient.

USB sticks, on the other hand, are preferable to DVDs since the storage media is protected. DVDs just quit working quite frequently. Though I have read that USB sticks will also do the same given enough time.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:56 PM

6,862 posts, read 4,860,189 times
I would just like to have everything running on one remote. And a remote without all those excess buttons I never use.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:33 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
For me, both yes and no. Positives with the new media include the ability to store more with less, and sometimes more efficiently. A 4 TB hard drive half the size of an old VHS tape can hold literally thousands of what an old videotape once could have held. A lot of the new media can also be an archival focus for the old, thus what you find over at sites like The Internet Archive, Newspapers.com, and much, much more that provide instant time capsules of a certain moment in time. That said, it's caused the value of a lot of old media to be a lot lower than what one could have imagined. For example, that decades old magazine could literally be purchased on eBay, photocopied, stored on a flash drive, and then returned for the price less shipping if the seller offers it, with often just the cover/framed ads being what's valuable and not the content within them. You can play literally any video game made from the '90s on back thanks to roms. That said, it's called progress, and what I miss the most is how old media felt much more word of mouth. Once the Internet came along, our contemporary "breaking news" (a term I seldom heard before the rise of the Web) culture had arrived.

That said, the one type of "classic" music format I may still use is vinyl, since I have a 1963 Wurlitzer jukebox, and a 2007 turntable that also plays LP's and 78s. It even plays cassettes and CDs in case I'm in the mood, but I'd mostly would buy those if they contained either a radio aircheck or an exclusive show that isn't found online like a countdown or artist interview.

I haven't read a newspaper from cover to cover since about 2006, and only looked at an occasional article since then. Even coupons are starting to appear in many alternative ways. At least with the adoption of paywalls, these media outlets will still be around, even if it meant the end of free news. I just use Google or Yahoo news as a launchpad for news, since it's a good way to home around paywalls for certain key stories.

If anything, I feel like the information revolution is complete and any "change" from this point on is for the sake of change with that new layout/font/color palette just to be "hip" and not functional or more efficient. I feel that around 2013 or so is when all the benefits/user friendliness or innovation maxed out. Just look at Dailymotion, it used to be a lot more easy to use, but they've become more "flashy" and you have to go back to your home page just to publish a video you upload now!

Old 11-03-2018, 03:51 PM

661 posts, read 521,503 times
Yeah, I do loathe the feeling that the internet has made many of the stuff that came before way less valuable. Sure it has done some good for the world, but it's more outweighed by the bad or less pleasant stuff in my opinion. Sure I can look up and find any known or obscure show, commercials or movie from any classic decade up to the 1990s/early 2000s to watch, but it feels like it's missing value in a certain way. I loathe that all the physical store and services declined and lost much of it's value because of the same service being offered online.

I do feel like I was "born in the wrong generation" sometimes when I realize this. I was born in the early 1990s and became adult age only after the big change of the world really started kicking in. There are only a very small number of people in my age who feel the same way I do.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:17 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,244 times
Yes OP, me too. But got to try to keep up with the times.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:15 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
But then again, "back in the day" how many people of color and/or women had the opportunity to become top newscasters on radio or TV? How many journalists? A few perhaps, but not many compared to today's Media.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:24 AM

804 posts, read 545,277 times
So TV died just in time to not care about what people think or say. But then look at TYT where a group of people got together and put on youtube show. No professionalism or big studio required.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:59 PM

749 posts, read 852,414 times
Some of my old favorites are still around like https://www.mclaughlin.com/ even tho most of the original folks are gone the show still has a nice point/counterpoint to it, it's on you tube as well some weeks.

I grew up watching news shows like that, I'm in my 60's now so it's amazing that anything like that show has survived.

https://news.sky.com/watch-live is interesting just to get some current world news. All of the 'newspapers' I read are online now, too expensive to buy the paper copies here in Hawaii anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts