U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2019, 02:31 PM
 
236 posts, read 110,048 times
Reputation: 476

Advertisements

I just finished watching one my all time netflix favs... Dark season 2... so many paradoxes (just love it). But, there are so many great Sci-fi/Suspense/Horror series out there, so what is your favorite and why? Are you a Rod Serling fan, Hitchcock, King... whatever you like tell me the elements of said series that most intrigue you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2019, 02:40 PM
 
2,868 posts, read 1,768,308 times
Reputation: 10124
I just watched Black Mirror, and some of those episodes were... intense. Like, don't watch before bedtime! Watched a tiny bit of Stranger Things and didn't get totally pulled in. Some seasons of American Horror Story are awful and awesome at the same time. But I think Sci-Fi, suspense, and horror are very different genres...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 02:52 PM
 
236 posts, read 110,048 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I just watched Black Mirror, and some of those episodes were... intense. Like, don't watch before bedtime! Watched a tiny bit of Stranger Things and didn't get totally pulled in. Some seasons of American Horror Story are awful and awesome at the same time. But I think Sci-Fi, suspense, and horror are very different genres...
I have been trying to catch up on Black Mirror (I loved their Bandersnatch series) ... which episodes keep u up at night the most?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,713 posts, read 5,710,938 times
Reputation: 13444
Black Mirror is the only one of the current crop that will achieve legendary status over time. Simply brilliant, totally unpredictable, not locked into a formula and has extraordinary production values.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 04:15 PM
 
Location: North America
4,428 posts, read 2,241,604 times
Reputation: 19247
I love Stranger Things, though I normally wouldn't be particularly interested in its combination of paranormal and horror. The series is very well produced (all levels - writing, acting, photography, etc.). But the clincher is that it's essentially a lover letter to the culture of the 1980s. That's what seals the deal for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 05:54 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
14 posts, read 5,728 times
Reputation: 45
Babylon 5. Take Star Trek and remove all shields, phasers, and all the unexplainable nonsense. Now add in real scientific ideas like relative velocity. Special effects are not great, though races are pretty good looking - not just like "human with their skin painted". Also everyone has a goal, which is not results in "good guys always winning". There are conflicts even in the main cast. That was a rather good series.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2019, 10:43 PM
 
76 posts, read 25,993 times
Reputation: 106
Black Mirror is a hit or miss for me, but the greats are truly memorable - Be Right Back, San Junipero, The Entire History of You are some I can think of right now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2019, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
249 posts, read 159,389 times
Reputation: 758
Dark is my recent fav, but I also loved the SG (Stargate) movies and series. The most recent Lost in Space was also pretty good. I love the FX most, but the storyline needs to be believable, and the actors need to be talented.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 04:04 PM
 
236 posts, read 110,048 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I love Stranger Things, though I normally wouldn't be particularly interested in its combination of paranormal and horror. The series is very well produced (all levels - writing, acting, photography, etc.). But the clincher is that it's essentially a lover letter to the culture of the 1980s. That's what seals the deal for me.
Stranger Things?? umm yeah loooove it! Hopper is not dead btw (I'm sure most know this by now). The only bad thing about this show is I have to wait another year or more for season 4.

Last edited by PardonTheInterruption; 07-22-2019 at 04:19 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2019, 04:08 PM
 
236 posts, read 110,048 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jos.walker View Post
Babylon 5. Take Star Trek and remove all shields, phasers, and all the unexplainable nonsense. Now add in real scientific ideas like relative velocity. Special effects are not great, though races are pretty good looking - not just like "human with their skin painted". Also everyone has a goal, which is not results in "good guys always winning". There are conflicts even in the main cast. That was a rather good series.
I never got into Babylon 5 back the day, not that's it's not a great show, I'm just unfamiliar. Is that currently on Netflix?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top