U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 06:34 PM

236 posts, read 109,724 times

Advertisements

And why?

Stephen King! His works (too many to count) have transcended generations and he's still the baddest to this day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 11:03 AM

23,268 posts, read 21,354,569 times
He's also dried and shriveled up creatively like a mummy and hasn't had a truly great novel since " The Shining."
Not that his later works haven't been good to varying degrees. Maybe not perfect, but good. But even then they've still been in decline.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:12 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,020,322 times
Edgar Allan Poe.

Re: King's "too many to count" — exactly why quantity does not beget quality. I do like some of his novels, but they're all from the early stages of his career, e.g. Salem's Lot, Firestarter, Cujo. King's writing tends to suffer from bloat more often than not. I prefer his novellas.

For serious horror, King's got many contemporaries who are better.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:48 PM

12,918 posts, read 15,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Edgar Allan Poe.

Re: King's "too many to count" — exactly why quantity does not beget quality. I do like some of his novels, but they're all from the early stages of his career, e.g. Salem's Lot, Firestarter, Cujo. King's writing tends to suffer from bloat more often than not. I prefer his novellas.

No doubt they will be long forgotten in the future, while people will continue to read his work.

I'm not saying this about you or anyone in this thread. But I get tired of hacks who critique truly great writers or any other people in the arts world whose work has endured.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:28 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,218,377 times
Wes Craven has made some good movies. For up and coming directors, keep an eye on Jordan Peele.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:57 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,542,020 times
I'm a big fan of so many of the greats; John Carpenter, Alfred Hitchcock, Wes Craven, Clive Barker, Dario Argento, Sam Raimi, Stephen King, Guillermo del Toro, Toby Hooper, and Eli Roth. But in my personal opinion, and as a huge fan of the zombie genre the G.O.A.T IMO is George A. Romero.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:28 AM

1,045 posts, read 633,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Edgar Allan Poe.

Dean Koontz is a much better writer than Stephen King, IMO.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:29 AM

1,045 posts, read 633,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
He's also dried and shriveled up creatively like a mummy and hasn't had a truly great novel since " The Shining."
Not that his later works haven't been good to varying degrees. Maybe not perfect, but good. But even then they've still been in decline.
Truth. But The Shining never did anything for me as a novel. I could barely get through it.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:57 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,020,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Dean Koontz is a much better writer than Stephen King, IMO.
I've never been able to finish a Koontz novel. My last attempt was Tick Tock.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:43 PM

4,428 posts, read 2,230,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No doubt they will be long forgotten in the future, while people will continue to read his work.

I'm not saying this about you or anyone in this thread. But I get tired of hacks who critique truly great writers or any other people in the arts world whose work has endured.
I happen to like Stephen King. He's entertaining, and a lot of his early work is what I consider truly great work ('Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Dead Zone). He's been tremendously influential. I particularly admire his varied and creative use of form. But no one knows who will be remembered and who will not. Why? Because 'great' is purely subjective, and today's consensus may not be tomorrow's.

Did Melville write the Great American Novel? Or was it Fitzgerald? Maybe neither, though they are both candidates. However, neither one knew it. Melville had little success in writing during his lifetime. Fitzgerald made some money but died convinced that he was a critical failure. Moby-Dick and The Great Gatsby did not find the lofty spaces they hold in the canon of American literature until long after their writers. Meanwhile, decades past saw novels of great acclaim that no one today knows about because they have long since been deemed unworthy of their past praise and no one reads them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts